Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2 hits pre-launch beta milestones for sales in China

http://gw2.kongzhong.com/news/20140430/1529.html

One month ago they announced pre-sales for the beta pre-launch limited to 500,000 copies. Today they hit their goal and have extended the sale for 24 hours

Note that this is the first time anyone has ever sold a MMO in China, it's a revolutionary commercialization strategy in a market of F2P and P2P online games.
    Valar morghulis

Nice! It's a great market to launch in to for GW2.

A lot of potential customers are untapped in Taiwan/China compared to the Korean market. They really don't receive games like GW2 too often in China. Though SEA has had a few with varying degrees of success I am told.

Early access just started as well. I watched a few streams to see what differences there were in the China client. A lot of differing icon icon art and some collectible item I don't recognize. I kind of like the yellow they use for crit damage.

Deleted
    I really hope GW2 does well in China, I might not be a fan of the game but it is still an amazing game with amazing polish

Also question, is China still on the whole undead, death and bones being illegal? Because in my memory there was a lot of that in GW2?

Lemposs, yes. In the streams, the downed player icon is no longer a blue skull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I really hope GW2 does well in China, I might not be a fan of the game but it is still an amazing game with amazing polish

Also question, is China still on the whole undead, death and bones being illegal? Because in my memory there was a lot of that in GW2?
    Yes, skulls have been altered, i remember the world boss event symbol were changed into a more "monster face symbol" (that looked extremely awesome btw), there was a reddit post in r/guildwars2 with some pictures from the beta showing the spell icons and their changes.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    When I read the title to this thread, I had a serious case of déjà vu

It was like... I've been to the future and I didn't know it?

was relieved to see it was referring to a launch in China :P

as I get older, I am constantly doubting my own sanity.

Well the Asian market love p2w MMOs so I assume gw2 will do fairly well there.

Please post constructively
    Last edited by Arlee; 2014-06-05 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    When I read the title to this thread, I had a serious case of déjà vu

It was like... I've been to the future and I didn't know it?

was relieved to see it was referring to a launch in China :P

as I get older, I am constantly doubting my own sanity.
    I gave up on that long ago, and just do what the dragons tell me to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraT View Post
    Except that GW2 isn't p2w, but I assume you can't have a serious discussion without some trolls in these forums anymore.
    Hi

Deleted
    First MMO ever sold in China? Mmkay....

Surely its the only strategy in the P2P market?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post

Even the whole Necromancer is changed, it's called "Spirit Summoner". Asked someone from the Chinese beta a few questions about it on Reddit, he even posted a few pictures. Would like to see side by side comparisions, maybe some bloggers GW2 sites are interested in doing such a thing.

On topic: Impressive number, but it's a bit disappointing to realise that it's not the release-date today, just some early access. That means we will have to wait a few more weeks until we get new info about upcoming content :/
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

For clarity's sake: MMOs are rarely sold as a box in China. The software itself exists for free or upon a internet cafe computer. It's either F2P, cafe charges or Subs, or even a mix of the three. Their claim is to be the first B2P MMO where you buy the game similar to a box sale.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraT View Post
    Go away troll. You've been reported. GW2 is not at ALL P2W or anywhere close.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Yikes - can we get a mod to add China to the title please?
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you also buy gems and convert them to gold and buy legendaries weapon in the CHINA version of the game ?

China loves P2W. As this game is one of the biggest P2W mmo it will sells a lot there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Can you also buy gems and convert them to gold and buy legendaries weapon in the CHINA version of the game ?

China loves P2W. As this game is one of the biggest P2W mmo it will sells a lot there.
    The gem store only sells vanity and convenience items. Any trading that happens between players is irrelevant to that. That would be like saying if you buy a TCG mount code for cash in WoW and sell the spectral tiger on the AH and use that gold to buy a raid carry that means WoW is P2W.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post

I forgot the last time i bought a rank 1000 wvw character with gems.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I forgot the last time i bought a rank 1000 wvw character with gems.
    Pfft, you are thinking too small. I used cash to buy gems that I traded to gold to buy a legendary which I then used in the tournament and caused my enemy to miss his killshot since he was laughing so hard at my rainbow unicorn pony bow of awesomeness so that I won the tournament and got another legendary! Legendaryception!!
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Pfft, you are thinking too small. I used cash to buy gems that I traded to gold to buy a legendary which I then used in the tournament and caused my enemy to miss his killshot since he was laughing so hard at my rainbow unicorn pony bow of awesomeness so that I won the tournament and got another legendary! Legendaryception!!
    Dangit! i was just gonna throw my wallet at wurm!