Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RNG in pet battles.

Soo I don't mean to come off as just whining, but I do not put that much time into pet battles, and I looked all over the place to see if this ability was nerfed, but I cannot find anything on it.

I am using two moth's to power level up other battle pets on aquatic mobs, and using "moth dust" which says on the tooltip is an 80% chance to hit. I have kept track after about my first 10 battles, doing ~70 more battles, and out of 90 usages of moth dust...34 hit. I mean there is bad rng, and there is absolutely ridiculous miss chance. Like I am utterly shocked when it does hit now. I am seriously debating just not using it, as the miss chance is worse then that one huge ability some mechanical pets have which is supposedly 50%.

So is this broken, or am I just on the unluckiest streak imaginable? I mean 34 out of 90 is just awful, considering it is supposed to be 80%.

The best one was when I used: moth dust (Miss) alpha strike (95% hit chance, miss) alpha strike (miss) then I just put my turtle back out, out of frustration lol.
    You're a towel.

I haven't used Moth Balls myself but I have noticed that the miss %s sometimes seem out of whack.

Also, RNG in pet battles is pretty BS and should be reconsidered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Soo I don't mean to come off as just whining, but I do not put that much time into pet battles, and I looked all over the place to see if this ability was nerfed, but I cannot find anything on it.

I am using two moth's to power level up other battle pets on aquatic mobs, and using "moth dust" which says on the tooltip is an 80% chance to hit. I have kept track after about my first 10 battles, doing ~70 more battles, and out of 90 usages of moth dust...34 hit. I mean there is bad rng, and there is absolutely ridiculous miss chance. Like I am utterly shocked when it does hit now. I am seriously debating just not using it, as the miss chance is worse then that one huge ability some mechanical pets have which is supposedly 50%.

So is this broken, or am I just on the unluckiest streak imaginable? I mean 34 out of 90 is just awful, considering it is supposed to be 80%.

The best one was when I used: moth dust (Miss) alpha strike (95% hit chance, miss) alpha strike (miss) then I just put my turtle back out, out of frustration lol.
    Using the very same tactic to level pets. It is nowhere close to 80%, it is more like 60%ish from my own experience. There is no 95% on Alpha either, more like 80% there.

RNG in Pet Battles truly suck. Don't know why blizzard even added miss chance.

Pet Battles is a form of PvP. Imagine normal PvP with no possibility to reduce miss chance with hit rating. Thats the case for pet battles now and it need a change NOW!
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

I had a pet miss a 90% ability 3 times and a row.

I sold him on the AH as punishment

Pet Battles is a form of PvP. Imagine normal PvP with no possibility to reduce miss chance with hit rating.
    if our normal PVP was turn-based it probably would have a chance to miss.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Miss chance is a damn hindrance and not fun. (unless your opponent misses, but how often does that really happen) Drawbacks are fine, but completely losing a turn is even worse.
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    Yeah Moth Dust specifically seems to have a lower hit rate than the tooltip states. It's the exception when I hit with it. I would say it's probably 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    no possibility to reduce miss chance with hit rating.
    Untrue, there are pet abilities that buff your hit chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont really mind the rng misses. They can completely flip the turn out of a game. that one miss from your enemy turns into a win for you so its like the wild card

Deleted
    This is the single worst thing about pet battles. 3 minutes in, last pet, your going to kill it and MISS BOOM DEAD. -.-

Haven't played pet battles in quite a while. The main thing that drove me from it was games being partly (sometimes entirely) determined by if you miss or not.

Don't tell me this is still a thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockspore View Post
    Yeah Moth Dust specifically seems to have a lower hit rate than the tooltip states. It's the exception when I hit with it. I would say it's probably 50%.

Untrue, there are pet abilities that buff your hit chance.

So it isn't just me that has noticed this with the "Moth Dust" ability. I am going to start keeping track of every usage of it (I have several moths that use it) and seeing if I can get a picture of a true hit chance, though the numbers will not be enough to make a cement, fact number.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Haven't played pet battles in quite a while. The main thing that drove me from it was games being partly (sometimes entirely) determined by if you miss or not.

Don't tell me this is still a thing!
    Yeah, it is still a thing. So is waiting three minutes after logging in to use the stable master to heal, so people don't have an alt sitting at it to log over and heal....which is probably the most unneeded thing I have ever seen in this game. Basically make syou wait three minutes to heal if you are out in the way out places with no healers.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if they implement pseudo chance for all attacks throughout the match

Yeah, it feels like NPCs are the only ones who actually get the listed miss rates on abilities. Can't tell you how many times I've had the so-called 100% hit chance on Nocturnal Strike miss during Darkness.

Deleted
    Working as intended. Darkness gives -10% hit chance debuff to everyone but elemental pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirvan Shadow View Post
    Working as intended. Darkness gives -10% hit chance debuff to everyone but elemental pets.
    Then the tooltip should be updated to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    The Elemental tooltip does say this. Unless you mean them putting "except Elementals who ignore weather effects" at the end of every single weather tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    This right here was the most frustrating thing I ever saw. Yes Nocturnal strike has a 90% accuracy during Night (stupid, right?).

Also, pet battles are just a complete mess of bias
    Last edited by Hisholyness; 2014-05-07 at 03:05 PM.

Is that confirmed somewhere? Because I use Ravens and Crows a hell of a lot, whether its to powerlevel other pets against aquatics or just fighting aquatics in general, and I've never had Nocturnal strike miss during Darkness. It will have a big chance to miss against elementals though since they aren't affected by the weather, so it will be at its normal hit chance, but it has never, ever missed for me against an aquatic.

Definitely have noticed the dodgy RNG on alpha strike though and I use Anubisath Idol tonnes too, and his 80% chance to hit Crush misses a hell of a lot more than a 80% ability should. Also, when the AI uses moth dust on my pets, it seems to stun a lot more often than not. Considering its only meant to be a 25% chance to stun, it stuns WAY more often than 25% of the time in my experience. I don't use moths much myself, so I don't know if its a similar result when a player is using it, but having it used against me, thats what I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyranthian View Post
    Is that confirmed somewhere? Because I use Ravens and Crows a hell of a lot, whether its to powerlevel other pets against aquatics or just fighting aquatics in general, and I've never had Nocturnal strike miss during Darkness. It will have a big chance to miss against elementals though since they aren't affected by the weather, so it will be at its normal hit chance, but it has never, ever missed for me against an aquatic.

Definitely have noticed the dodgy RNG on alpha strike though and I use Anubisath Idol tonnes too, and his 80% chance to hit Crush misses a hell of a lot more than a 80% ability should.
    I just circumvent the dodgy Alpha Strike miss chance by using Dread Hatchling (WOD CE pet). It has Shadow Talon which does all the damage in one hit and has a really high hit rate.

But yeah, Crush misses making you reset trainer fights is pretty annoying. That said I think Anub would be too powerful if his hit chance was higher, he's already ultra-tanky. Also make sure you swap between Sandstorm and the other shield ability on certain fights where you absolutely need to land the punches and you don't need the reduction for backline pets.
    Last edited by Farabee; 2014-05-09 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sphinxhunter View Post
    This is the single worst thing about pet battles. 3 minutes in, last pet, your going to kill it and MISS BOOM DEAD. -.-
    Or, look at the flip of the coin, RNG just saved another player from certain loss. He sure as hell isn't going to complain about it...