Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Swtor and Star Wars canon.

I recently read that Lucasfilm now claims that only the six films and the Clone Wars television series are canon (This was done to make coming up with the new movie's story lines easier). All the books, comics and games that were once held as canon are now referred to as Star Wars Legends, but they have no place in the Star Wars universe. As a huge fan of both Kotor games and Swtor I feel cheated. These games have some of the best characters and story lines in all of star wars lore and they should be recognized. Anyone else feel this way or am I upset over nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know plenty of people who consider The Clone Wars series as "Legends" and not part of canon due to it constantly retconning established lore. Ultimately the guys at Disney can say what they will, but they will have an uphill struggle trying to change Star Wars lore in the minds of long-time fans. Just look at Lucas's revisions of the original trilogy and how well that went over. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
    I recently read that Lucasfilm now claims that only the six films and the Clone Wars television series are canon (This was done to make coming up with the new movie's story lines easier). All the books, comics and games that were once held as canon are now referred to as Star Wars Legends, but they have no place in the Star Wars universe. As a huge fan of both Kotor games and Swtor I feel cheated. These games have some of the best characters and story lines in all of star wars lore and they should be recognized. Anyone else feel this way or am I upset over nothing.
    Actually, George Lucas has said that only the movies and the clone-wars series are canon, already years ago. This is not new at all.

You should not feel cheated though. The EU (now called "Legacy") is not gone. It does still exist. As Lucas sais as a "Parallel Universe" to his original one.
    KoToR is not gone, all the Lore in it and all the books are still there. It's just not in the same Universe as the movies.
    They did not take anything away from you. You can still enjoy all the stories and characters from the EU as you always did. It was never official-canon to begin with anyway, which does not make it any less valuable.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
    but in rising every time we fall."
    - Kong Fuzi

George Lucas has always said the Star Wars Extended Universe (EU) was Non-canon.

I don't get why so many people are getting butthurt that Disney is LITERALLY just continuing on with what George Lucas THE CREATOR had already said many many times before.

It doesn't matter how attached you were to the EU, it has never and will never be Canon.

He said EU was its Own universe and the Movies were their Own universe.

Very much like how Marvel Movies whilst having similar Characters to the Comics, are not the same Canon as the Comics Story Arcs.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    George Lucas has always said the Star Wars Extended Universe (EU) was Non-canon.

I don't get why so many people are getting butthurt that Disney is LITERALLY just continuing on with what George Lucas THE CREATOR had already said many many times before.

It doesn't matter how attached you were to the EU, it has never and will never be Canon.

He said EU was its Own universe and the Movies were their Own universe.

Very much like how Marvel Movies whilst having similar Characters to the Comics, are not the same Canon as the Comics Story Arcs.
    THis ^

I'm Ok with it since it had been that way for a number of years now. I still enjoyed those other stories and games but it's been a few years now knowing they were not considered cannon.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    did georges lucas ever wrote something about the old republic era?
    If not, there is no interference between the movie and the bioware games.
    So whay couldn't it be canon.

And i agree, movie event are dwarfed by the whole old republic canon. Both KOTOR and SWTOR tells a much more gripping story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    did georges lucas ever wrote something about the old republic era?
    If not, there is no interference between the movie and the bioware games.
    So whay couldn't it be canon.

And i agree, movie event are dwarfed by the whole old republic canon. Both KOTOR and SWTOR tells a much more gripping story.
    Because by making it 100% not cannon, it allows Disney to make future projects in any era of Star Wars they want without having to worry about existing material. Lucas never had any plans to make movies outside of the 6 he made so he pretty much let anyone else who wanted to create stories as long as they did not interfere with those, while paying him for the rights of course. Disney wants to really go nuts with Star Wars and make all kinds of movies, TV shows, and other things within the Star Wars universe.

This doesn't stop future games, novels and so on from being made that are connected to the existing old republic canon, it just means they will not be part of the official canon (they never were anyways) and Disney may and probably will make their own films and such in the same era that could contradict the existing stuff.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

For the 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th time. They were never canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else feel this way or am I upset over nothing.
    I think you are upset over nothing. Lucas can define canon for himself however he wants, but you don't have to agree with him. For me KotoR or SWTOR is as good a cannon as the movies. Mister Lucas can think differently, it is his right.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Kotor is about 3,000 years before the movies if I'm not mistaken. So unless Disney does something involving 3,000 years in the past, Kotor being canon or not is a complete non-issue, since there'll be no interference anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    This doesn't stop future games, novels and so on from being made that are connected to the existing old republic canon, it just means they will not be part of the official canon (they never were anyways) and Disney may and probably will make their own films and such in the same era that could contradict the existing stuff.
    Actually Disney canceled all game projects that were on the Horizon shortly after the LA Purchase. Perhaps this is to have more control of creative rights. I hope they come out with more novels. I miss reading about our aging heroes and the young blood rising to take their place. On that note ARE there any novels on the horizon or out already after the latest Fate of the Jedi series of novels?

I'm quite curious myself about what this means for the canon overall given that the Selkath show up, if only briefly, in the Clone Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Actually Disney canceled all game projects that were on the Horizon shortly after the LA Purchase. Perhaps this is to have more control of creative rights. I hope they come out with more novels. I miss reading about our aging heroes and the young blood rising to take their place. On that note ARE there any novels on the horizon or out already after the latest Fate of the Jedi series of novels?
    Right, there are no games in development as far as I know outside of swtor itself, but what I meant was there is still the possibility that such games could still be made, they would just not be linked to anything Disney is going to make, be it movies, tv series, games, novels or anything else. As it looks right now, the chance is pretty slim as Disney seems to have pretty grand plans for the franchise, but the chance is still there for future kotor games and such. Far more likely that we will see a reboot of sort and get official canon old republic era stuff at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guarenteed they might try and use the KOTR lore eventually.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm glad swtor has 0 meaning as it should. It's an atrocious game. lol at bioware and I hope EA burns to the ground.

Didn't Revan appear in one Clone Wars episode?

I personally prefer the KOTOR time period than the movies one.

Revan was supposed to have been in Clone Wars, but him and Bane were both cut during production of Ghosts of Mortis.

While the extended universe isn't canon it has never been so in conflict with canon as with the new films. Most existing extended universe and canon cover different time periods or in betweens and mostly do not contradict each other. Simply having chewie alive and ignoring the vong are far greater contradictions than anything so far

I'd not spend any effort worrying about KotOR or SWtOR. And here is my take on it. After reading the announcement here it specifically says "In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe." Additionally the article explains Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

So it seems they are focusing on "post- Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe". Which obviously tOR takes place nearly 4000 years prior to this. To be honest setting films that far outside of the timeline of the Prequels/Original Trilogy would end up alienating and confusing the new fans that Episodes VII-IX will garner.

Now they state the Clone Wars which, if youll allow me to go out on a limb here contains a indirect link to events in the SWtOR continuity. In the episode "The Mandalore Plot" the leader of the Deathwatch (Pre Vizsla) takes out a weapon called a Darksaber, he claims "This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic." Now his name is very similar to the Character Shae Visla who was a Mandalorian who helped the Sith sack the Jedi Temple. Even if Shae and Pre are unrelated, it still is just too coincidental.

Finally, in case anyone has missed it. There was an article on Gamespot that they discuss this decanonizing. And tOR is mentioned directly "The Lucasfilm rep told GameSpot, "[A]s far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. [TOR] has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Xychosis View Post
    Revan was supposed to have been in Clone Wars, but him and Bane were both cut during production of Ghosts of Mortis.
    bane was in clone wars though, but bane was also in the episode 1 novel, which at that time was canon. the movie books have always been canon, I am not 100% sure if they are incluced in the new "all EU books are now legacy EU" rule. but I guess bane was GL approved somehow, back then. revan is completely and guranteed EU though.

but I agree with most here, the whole thing is a non issue, EU was never canon, and thats a good thing.
    the only thing they introduce now is that they introduce the "legacy EU", why now? because the prequel area wasnt ever touched by the EU, whatever they did with prequels, it couldnt contradict with EU material. thats very important if you want to understand what the whole fuss is about. the prequels couldnt contradict with any EU material, because there wasnt any from that time.

now with the sequel trilogy, thats something completely else, there are tons of EU material that take place after episode 6, and of course they will ignore it, that will make a lot of EU products simply wrong, thats why they call that legacy EU now