Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    I think there is a little more to it than that. For example vengeance ramps up much quicker than it should by that math. It definitely doesn't take 20 seconds to reach full vengeance. Regarding dodge I know when I get a dodge streak my vengeance will drop.
    vengeance ramps up faster at the start so its not based off the last 20 seconds when you begin a fight or start tanking. and no your vengeance should NOT go down when you have a dodge streak. Vengeance is calculated before any mitigation.

Here's the part about dodge and parry in the 5.4 patch notes...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Tanks no longer receive Vengeance from many persistent area damage effects (standing in the fire) or from missed attacks (dodging and parrying an attack will continue to work as it has before).
    Here's info on the ramp up...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Vengeance has been redesigned slightly. It no longer ramps up slowly at the beginning of a fight. Instead, the first melee attack taken by the tank generates Vengeance equal to 33% of the damage taken by that attack. In addition, as it updates periodically during the fight, it's always set to at least 33% of the damage taken by the tank in the last 2 seconds. It still climbs from that point at the rate it did previously, still decays when damage is not taken, and still cannot exceed a maximum based on the health and Stamina of the tank
    the ramp up notes are from patch 4.3 but according to the change log it hasn't changed. the cap was removed in mists and then added back in to cap at the players health. they also added diminishing returns in 5.4 when tanking multiple mobs.
    Last edited by Lessthanzer0; 2014-07-17 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

And no your vengeance should NOT go down when you have a dodge streak. Vengeance is calculated before any mitigation.
    It doesn't include debuffs on you though (i.e. Malkorok) when you Dodge. So technically it is possible for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    It doesn't include debuffs on you though (i.e. Malkorok) when you Dodge. So technically it is possible for that to happen.
    I'm not sure about that and it may depend on the debuff cause the malkorok debuff increases damage taken so the higher the debuff, the more damage you take = more vengeance. If I have 10 stacks and you have 20 stacks you will have more vengeance cause you're taking more damage. That's why some tanks never let their stacks drop on that fight.

edit: i missed the part about when you dodge. yeah i could def believe that. if you dodge an attack that hits for 100k and you have a debuff that increases damage by 100% then you will get vengeance from the 100k and not 200k. it makes sense since that damage isn't multiplied until it hits you.
    Last edited by Lessthanzer0; 2014-07-17 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Deleted
    Why does the Horridon Double Swipe then always cause your vengeance to go down? (Been a long time since I did Horridon, but it was completely consistent)

Seems like to me you would use SD more on fights or moments in fights with lots of physical damage, and FR more in fights or moments in fights that have lots of magical damage. That's how I have always done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Why does the Horridon Double Swipe then always cause your vengeance to go down? (Been a long time since I did Horridon, but it was completely consistent)
    Because special ability damage is calculated differently than melee swings (i.e. lower). Also, it would trigger the decay on damage that previously caused Vengeance gains - since that's only triggered by a new damage event on live.