Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    I'l say this, a lot of people, including the guy above doesn't realise that what is easy for him/her might not be easy for others. Raiding is easy as fuck, but then a lot of things are easy as fuck when you know how and are good at it. The big raider secret is that other players have not always got the ability to do things so easily as you, they can't always grasp things so easily and/or they haven't put in the relevant time to develop those skills.

A lot of people probably don't even realise they are developing skills beyond what others do. Whether you like to think about it or not, being a raider who was succesful at the high level, who was able to get server firsts or high rank in WOL meant that you were one of the players who probably did find it easy, probably didn't understand how it can be considered skillful, but it isn't that easy for everyone.

And I understand that looking at it from an objective perspective, as someone who understands the concepts well... You could easily from your own objective perspective say "there is nothing special about this, it's easy and we just put in some time and perform actions 1, 2 and 3 etc etc"... But that is the bit where a lot of people did the same and failed, because not everybody is capable of seeing it in such a simple form as you or i.

I admit I agree there is definitely nothing special about raiders, but back in the old days a lot of people did see them as special, and the gap in skill between players was (and still is) sometimes massive.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I still believe that most of the people who think they're serious business for being "raiders" are people who just recently started raiding and still believe it's some sort of super-elite club that they just got into
    I feel like that has to be the prevalent type for this issue to still exist, yes. I mean I was right there. I have my Hand of Adal to prove it. I felt so cool for like...5 minutes. For me it was just immaturity from being a successful raider while in college. I played the game way too much and so its importance was inflated for me. Looking back I see it was just w/e. It's really no different than me standing around the Shrine in my LFR gear now. Hey look at me and the other 100 people around me, we have played the game and done stuff. Yay. What stuff have we done? Who cares...we're all on different mounts and have different transmogs because we just enjoy the game. Mind blowing, lol.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by d0cHolland View Post
    At one point in my WoW "career", I've been a Normal/HC/LFR raider. At no point have I ever begrudged another player because they had similar gear to me, nor have I ever felt entitled to anything beyond the ability to log into the game.

I'd be curious to see how many members of the top guilds cared at all about what happened in LFR. I would venture a guess and say that they're likely only concerned with themselves.
    I agree with you, and was also normal and later HC (but not LFR; didn't play during Cata and didn't really get into it in MoP). And I'll never understand why people care so much about stuff that has 0 effect on them.

As for the OP, I don't remember ever being "admired" or looked up to except by maybe other people who were also into hardcore raiding, and not so much because of "being hardcore" but because of my skill as a healer. Even back in TBC I remember people saying hardcore raiders had no life. Not so much during classic because a -lot- of people got carried in those 40-man raids that didn't do ANYTHING.

Aside from that, some raiders on my server were just vile people who treated everyone like shit and were extremely elitist and gave other raiders a bad name and were talking trash on trade chat all day when not raiding. Any hate those kind brought upon themselves was 100% deserved. As an individual, both hardcore and non-hardcore people liked me because I wasn't a massive dick. Even if non-hardcore raiders and non-raiders didn't "admire" me, they still liked me as a person. Maybe if you get hate, it has nothing to do with how much you raid?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    I agree with you, and was also normal and later HC (but not LFR; didn't play during Cata and didn't really get into it in MoP). And I'll never understand why people care so much about stuff that has 0 effect on them.

As for the OP, I don't remember ever being "admired" or looked up to except by maybe other people who were also into hardcore raiding, and not so much because of "being hardcore" but because of my skill as a healer. Even back in TBC I remember people saying hardcore raiders had no life. Not so much during classic because a -lot- of people got carried in those 40-man raids that didn't do ANYTHING.

Aside from that, some raiders on my server were just vile people who treated everyone like shit and were extremely elitist and gave other raiders a bad name and were talking trash on trade chat all day when not raiding. Any hate those kind brought upon themselves was 100% deserved. As an individual, both hardcore and non-hardcore people liked me because I wasn't a massive dick. Even if non-hardcore raiders and non-raiders didn't "admire" me, they still liked me as a person. Maybe if you get hate, it has nothing to do with how much you raid?
    I don't get any hate because I'm a humble person. I also don't like to see this behaviour exist because unlike other people I do care for the community and I don't just log on for raid times.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    I don't get any hate because I'm a humble person.
    I'm sorry but when I see this line all I can think of is that old Onion article, "Monk Gloats Over Yoga Championship".

http://www.bikramyoga.com/press/press1a.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    OP:

From my guild - a casual one, we dont have a raid group- experience, no one is speaking against raiders...but no one is admiring them neither. When someone got a new raid mount early in the patch/expansion, I am more interested in the mount itself - to see if it is worthy for me to try to pick it up in 1 or 2 expansions later . I don't really care about the raider. Not that I consider myself as or more skilled than him but I refuse to waste so much time to try to get a mount/title from a current raid.

In general, there is less drama in game than on forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to act like an elitist or asshole to be called as it. Someone always find a reason to bitch you.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jayehn View Post
    I'm sorry but when I see this line all I can think of is that old Onion article, "Monk Gloats Over Yoga Championship".

http://www.bikramyoga.com/press/press1a.htm
    Lol, sounds more like a dry version of freediving.

Deleted
    OP, I think you might find the reason why people think that raiders are elitists or special snowflakes somewhere in your first paragraph.

I haven't read this thread.

But.

In the US: "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

In Japan: "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiluy View Post
    Well, as I raid AND do LFR, I'm gonna have to discredit your statement. I mainly do LFR, as it allows me to enter and complete them when I have the time to, not on a set schedule with my guild. I also raid when I am able to make the scheduled run. Before LFR, I was a raider (except for Cata, but that was due to having a kid to take care of then). When I came back in MoP, I wanted to raid still, but having to work 40+ hours a week and take time for my family took away from that, so I did LFR when I had the time (usually late at night).

If LFR didn't exist, I would find different things to do to enjoy the game I love... maybe I'd be an idiot and neglect my family to continue raiding, maybe I'd just spend more time doing pet battles... who knows?

The point is, LFR isn't the only thing we have at end-game. It just allows us one more option.
    And what would those other things be ... ?

WoW's focus over the years have gotten so narrow, that other than raiding and arena, there really isn't much to do.

Dailies and their horribly written storylines that go along with them? Surely you jest.

Crafting? LOL.

Raiding is the only PVE content Blizzard gives a damn about. Suggest anything else and you get the "it will cost us a raid tier" excuse. FFS they are supposedly running the largest MMO on the market today in terms of paying subscribers and they don't have enough manpower to do other types of content apart from raids? Who are they trying to kidding?

Square Enix rebuild FFXIV, while putting out content for 1.0, in under 3 years! And that's a company that wasn't in all that great financial shape. But apparently fixing up Silvermoon will cost players a raid tier. LOL
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-05-06 at 08:28 AM.