Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are Spriests looking thus far?

I know that it might be too early to predict or determine how shadow is going to pan out in WoD since we aren't even in beta yet. But I really want to level up a shadow priest, they have always looked fun and interesting to me. But I'm worried that they won't be so good in WoD, I have been told they aren't so hot right now so I don't want to invest a lot of time into a character and it not be brought into raids or not be competitive.

I have every caster expect a shadow priest and like I said, I really want to level one, just concerned about it in WoD is all.

You said it yourself, it's far too early to say. I wouldn't base your choice around "Are they competitive at the moment?". Ultimately, if you're good, you'll be taken to raids. No class is that bad to the point where a good player with that class performs worse than a bad player with a different class. You're (likely) not playing in some guild that's aiming for the top of the world leaderboard, so just pick whatever class you like, and learn it. As long as you do a good job, and by good job I don't mean just on the meters, but with the encounter mechanics too, then you'll be taken to raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Deleted
    If you got every caster but no Shadow you're missing out. You can learn some basics of a class by leveling it up. Just because you level it up, doesn't mean you're rerolling. On the contrary, you're just experimenting and playing around. You might even like the other 2 Priest specs as well. The unique thing about Priest healers (OK, before Mistweaver was introduced) is that they can do quite some damage. That makes them amazing to level up IMO, although Shadow can also do quite some healing on low level.

What is currently your fav caster class and spec, and why? When answering this question try to abstain from taking the numbers into account here.

The good news is that S. Priests can't possibly get worse than they are now in MoP - Extremely lackluster single target damage, and absolutely garbage in PvP being so reliant on hard casting without any sort of self-peels.

I think they're extremely promising at least at this point. We won't know in terms of damage/dps or where we stand with other classes for a while, but the level 100 talents look incredible and so does that new Mind Blast Glyph. The thing that worries me is Blizzard's acceptance of where Shadow stands currently. They seem to be okay with the fact that Shadow does abysmal single-target dps based on the fact they bring a medium amount of utility and do fairly well on multi-target fights. Hopefully shadow won't be as atrocious as it has been in MoP, but it wouldn't surprise me because Blizzard seems okay with it.

I will say though, I've raided as a feral druid as my main since Burning Crusade, with Shadow as my main alt raider, Shadow is looking like a much more attractive option just in terms of some of the changes than feral. Looking at the level 100 talents Feral looks so bad compared to shadow. But then again Shadow lvl 100 talents look amazing. So I'm wary and excited at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Mooninites View Post
    I think they're extremely promising at least at this point. We won't know in terms of damage/dps or where we stand with other classes for a while, but the level 100 talents look incredible and so does that new Mind Blast Glyph. The thing that worries me is Blizzard's acceptance of where Shadow stands currently. They seem to be okay with the fact that Shadow does abysmal single-target dps based on the fact they bring a medium amount of utility and do fairly well on multi-target fights. Hopefully shadow won't be as atrocious as it has been in MoP, but it wouldn't surprise me because Blizzard seems okay with it.

I will say though, I've raided as a feral druid as my main since Burning Crusade, with Shadow as my main alt raider, Shadow is looking like a much more attractive option just in terms of some of the changes than feral. Looking at the level 100 talents Feral looks so bad compared to shadow. But then again Shadow lvl 100 talents look amazing. So I'm wary and excited at the same time
    Aye, they could've at least hotfixed Mind Flay damage to make our lives a little easier on ST fights.. their argument of not wanting to mess with heroic progression class balance is just complete and utter BS, when the race for heroic first kills is long, long over.

On-topic: Now is a fairly good time to give Shadow a try on an alt. The spec has definitely seen better days.. so if you end up enjoying the gameplay and theme of the spec, you've only got buffs to look forward to in WoD. ^^
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Deleted
    I will say though, I've raided as a feral druid as my main since Burning Crusade, with Shadow as my main alt raider, Shadow is looking like a much more attractive option just in terms of some of the changes than feral.
    Subjective,

Looking at the level 100 talents Feral looks so bad compared to shadow.
    That T100 talent which spreads your bleeds looks OP...

But then again Shadow lvl 100 talents look amazing. So I'm wary and excited at the same time
    Grass is always greener on the other side.

I will say though, I've raided as a feral druid as my main since Burning Crusade, with Shadow as my main alt raider, Shadow is looking like a much more attractive option just in terms of some of the changes than feral.
    Funny thing, I main shadow and run feral as an alt, and I'm just having a blast on my kitty.

The devs expressed that Spriests will be doing more DPS in WoD (relative to item squish) but at the cost of some of their raid utility (which is being butchered across other classes as well).

Deleted
    If you're in a raiding guild, you'll probably be pressured to play Holy/Disc. Our utility isn't great at all; 5% spell haste is useful but haste isn't considered a major stat to most classes anymore, that's about it. Unless you're spamming out PW:Shield you're pretty much just a walking slower dps liability that can wipe the raid. You have no real defensive cooldowns that benefit everyone, you're off healing during Vampiric Embrace is useful but in all honesty, MoP healing has been all about burst healing, you get hit by an ability from a boss go to 50% then are healed again to 100%.
    The best perk of a shadow priest is they're relatively fun to play, especially at higher end game levels.
    PvP wise I find my shadow priest to be quite strong if I'm honest, burst ramp up is difficult against melees and you're CC/Snares are limited(If you ever 1v1 a warrior just afk).

TL;DR: if you want easy high dps play your lock/mage. If you fancy a challenge play shadow.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are things in that game no one outside of its developers have played yet?

Are people flippin' serious asking this stuff? Use your brain *momentarily* before posting please.

Quote Originally Posted by ToduWoW View Post
    If you're in a raiding guild, you'll probably be pressured to play Holy/Disc. Our utility isn't great at all; 5% spell haste is useful but haste isn't considered a major stat to most classes anymore, that's about it. Unless you're spamming out PW:Shield you're pretty much just a walking slower dps liability that can wipe the raid. You have no real defensive cooldowns that benefit everyone, you're off healing during Vampiric Embrace is useful but in all honesty, MoP healing has been all about burst healing, you get hit by an ability from a boss go to 50% then are healed again to 100%.
    Atleast half the speccs atm rely on haste :P or atleast some haste breakpoints. When people optimize their gear they take the 5% haste into account. So there you go our 5% haste is useful. ( shared with boomkins though )... Why would you spam PW:S again? You don't have real defensive CDs but glyph of fade and a PW:S on yourself is fine... And then there's dispersion. Yes we might not have dmg mitigation but VE is useful more often then none. You have Thok , Blackfuse, Paragons , Garrosh. All these fights have atleast 1 ability where popping VE is a raid-saver. And then there's Galakras, IJ , Spoils. I'm not saying the raid would have a problem w/o VE but it definately helps. Also we have MD besides off healing as "utility" and let's not forget feathers. We do share most of our utility with Disc priests but it doesn't really matter atm.

Yes we are bad atm but we're really no that bad... Our single target is bottom of the pack, or multi-dot is high-ish of the pack and our utility is middle of the pack... All in all we're pretty bad but I haven't seen someone get benched because he's a shadowpriest. All world top 5 kills had atleast 1 SP in them, I'm not saying that, that shows we're really strong I'm just saying that you can make shadowpriest work if u're good at it and enjoy it
    Last edited by Zoulis; 2014-05-05 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoulis View Post
    Yes we are bad atm but we're really no that bad... Our single target is bottom of the pack, or multi-dot is high-ish of the pack and our utility is middle of the pack... All in all we're pretty bad but I haven't seen someone get benched because he's a shadowpriest. All world top 5 kills had atleast 1 SP in them, I'm not saying that, that shows we're really strong I'm just saying that you can make shadowpriest work if u're good at it and enjoy it
    Our cleave is good (but not best), our multidot is worst of the multidot classes excluding SV Hunter. Which I don't consider a multidot class ie. wouldn't wanna mention it in the same breath of mentioning Arcane or Affliction. Our single target is worst, or bottom of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Our cleave is good (but not best), our multidot is worst of the multidot classes excluding SV Hunter. Which I don't consider a multidot class ie. wouldn't wanna mention it in the same breath as Arcane or Affliction. Our single target is worst, or bottom of the pack.
    I was countring all speccs in multi dot fights, that's why I said high-ish. Indeed if you take into account only multi dot speccs we're bottom of the pack there too
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Deleted
    I don't understand why you would want to compare us with all classes and specs. I don't count a Rogue for multidotting because you don't bring a Rogue for multidotting. You bring a Rogue for utility, and single target DPS. Same for Elemental, you bring them for cleave or off heals or raid CDs you don't bring them for multidot even though they have one dot (does not make them a dot spec in the same sense as Affliction or Arcane). You'd think you'd bring a Shadow Priest for what they excel at (multidot, cleave) but even for their speciality they are beaten by everyone else including those same specs which do far more single target AND cleave than us (Mage, Warlock). The only niche we have, is our off heals. If you do not need that (hi, farm!) you might as well ditch your Shadow Priests.

Quote Originally Posted by ToduWoW View Post
    If you're in a raiding guild, you'll probably be pressured to play Holy/Disc. Our utility isn't great at all; 5% spell haste is useful but haste isn't considered a major stat to most classes anymore, that's about it.
    In WoD that is 5% haste, period. There's no more spell haste/melee haste!
    Granted that means even more classes will bring it to the raid and damage becomes an ever more important part for us seeing we don't cover a "hard to get buff".
    They've also said VE is staying as it is, so it's just hymn and t90 healing gone.

In terms of damage compared to others in WoD; time will tell.
    I'm just hoping we wont continue being the last remnant of an old system where support was also a role.

I myself am incredibly hopeful for WoD. We're receiving a number of changes that will better our single target while also not completely neutering our multi target.

The removal of healing off our 90 talents is a huge relief. Divine Star healing alone was probably the reason our DPS was held back the majority of the expansion for fear of just stacking shadow priests and dropping healers when it was at all possible. Removing Renew and giving Prayer of Mending a cast time will also reduce our off healing quite a bit. No Hymn of Hope removes another taxing spell from Shadow. All these changes will free Blizzard up from the worries of raids stacking shadow just to drop a healer, allowing them to bring our damage up to a more competitive level.

Our multi target DPS will obviously be taking a hit. It won't really be that significant (as from what I've heard, base Multistrike for all classes is rather high) because I feel in fights where our multi target has excelled, we'll have Void Entropy to make up for it in spades. Void Entropy will have to be an incredibly powerful talent. A one minute DoT? And with the potential Glyph of Mind Harvest (I do see this getting toned down a little or maybe made a perk) to be able to MB->VEn a target that'll be up for that full minute will be amazing.

Our single target will undeniably be better. Our new mastery makes sure of that. It may end up making us have to choose between gear sets for fights, but I'm more than willing to have to make those swaps if it means I can be competitive on every fight. Heck, I'll probably err on the side of favoring a single target set, because in almost every multi target fight, there'll be that priority kill target that needs the most damage, and I'd be more than happy to be the top damage dealer to that target in exchange for not being #1 on the overall meters, but that's just me!

Our burst AoE will be really intense. With healing removed from our 90 talents, Celestalon already tweeted that their damage would be scaling up accordingly. Couple that with Mastery increasing Mind Sear's damage, and Clarity of Power increasing it as well and we'd have rather disgusting burst AoE potential (probably not as strong as that new OP as hell warlock talent that gives Fire and Brimstone Chaos Bolt as well, but I digress) with just two spells! I know one of the first things I'm going to do when 6.0 lands is 1) Put on all mastery gear 2) Lock in Halo 3) Queue for the 2nd wing of HoF LFR 4) Channel Mind Sear on Wind Lord for an eternity, cast Halo when it's up 5) ???? 6) Profit! In all likelihood, I'll probably die from bad tank threat, but it'll be fun to watch! Sadly, I won't be able to have CoP for it yet, but mastery gear alone should be more than enough

Overall, shadow is looking solid for WoD. I know a lot of people think the sky is falling, but I think it's just some left over rain from the rain cloud that's hovered over us for all of MoP Here's to hoping the skies clear up!

Deleted
    Steehl, everyone is losing utility, except I guess Mage who do get a raid utility CD (Amplify Magic). Warriors lose banners, Shamans lose Stormlash and HTT, Retri loses Devo Aura -- you name it.

Funny thing, I main shadow and run feral as an alt, and I'm just having a blast on my kitty.
    Trust me, I absolutely love feral, I wouldn't raid with it over the past couple of years if I didn't love it. I'm just saying that feral isn't looking that fun in WoD. They're removing a lot of the complexity of our rotation obviously with Dot snapshotting and with the removal of DoC damage buff. The level 90 talents are losing a lot of diversity, as far as I can tell HotW is losing it's passive stat buff but allowing Bear-cat again (as well as the HotW+Tranq that its commonly used for now) and DoC won't provide a damage buff. Nature's Vigil is going to be a kind of Vamp Embrace; so ya, in addition to relatively dull level 100 talents, the 90 talents (atleast so far) are a shit show of off-spec healing crap and really aren't that interesting compared to right now

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Subjective,

That T100 talent which spreads your bleeds looks OP...

Grass is always greener on the other side.
    Of course it's subjective because its my opinion

Bloody thrash looks good for trash pulls, probably not that great even for multi-target fights. Could be interesting though if it affects our rotation (in that Thrash replaces Rake), but then again it's got a much higher energy cost so it would be something that would need to be toyed with.

Also the other options really aren't that fun/attractive. Making Savage Roar baseline isn't exactly exciting, plus while it removes a burden from our rotation realistically we get in 1 extra ferocious Bite every 25 to 40 seconds? Doesn't exactly seem that good. Lunar inspiration will be interesting but in all honsty I don't think it will be that good even without testing the numbers. Feral is a bleed spec and mastery is far and away the best secondary stat, but Moonfire isnt a bleed and wont scale off it. So it will get progressively worse as the expansion goes on

I wouldn't exactly call it the other side, when I play my shadow priest pretty frequently and raid on it every week. Ya it's an alt that isn't at the same level progression as my feral, but it's not like I'm just going to pick it up and play blindly, thanks for your concern though

Deleted
    Isn't dot snapshotting still there with Tiger's Fury?