What professions for WOD

The only things I am missing is skinning leatherworking and tailoring on my account. I love engineering though, its just a pain to level. I read that combat perks are going to be removed, so are professions not really going to matter anymore? Should I just grab tailoring and leatherworking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The only things I am missing is skinning leatherworking and tailoring on my account. I love engineering though, its just a pain to level. I read that combat perks are going to be removed, so are professions not really going to matter anymore? Should I just grab tailoring and leatherworking?
    Not only are combat perks removed, but your garrison can provide items/mat/enchantments from professions as well. So it's even less necessary to pick a profession.

Don't forget that boosting a character from lv 60+ will grant 600 skill points in the primary professions and first aid.

I suggest to wait and see first. They will release more info for professions. From what we know until now, it seems that is most beneficial to have gathering professions on characters and then use your garrison to craft what you want. Because a herbalis follower will have a fixed herbs per day while if you have herbalist yourself you can gather how many you want and then use the garrison Inscription/Alchemy buildings to craft things...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

By the looks of it, right now, with all the combat perks removed, gathering professions seems like the best way to go.
    Mining, herbing, skinning.

Deleted
    Does anyone know if there will be darkmoon card trinkets from inscription again in WoD? If so then well, there's your answer OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Not only are combat perks removed, but your garrison can provide items/mat/enchantments from professions as well. So it's even less necessary to pick a profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    From what we know until now, it seems that is most beneficial to have gathering professions on characters and then use your garrison to craft what you want. Because a herbalis follower will have a fixed herbs per day while if you have herbalist yourself you can gather how many you want and then use the garrison Inscription/Alchemy buildings to craft things...
    So garrisons can provide X mats per day, craft X items per day, or both?
    The main thing I was wondering, is whether my garrison can DE soulbound Q items, or if I should keep enchanting on my main.

any idea on how garrison professions are going to be leveled up?

Honestly, we don't really know jack shit about how professions work through Garrisons....
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

Deleted
    I will stick with the engineering as my main because I know I will be surprised by the Blizzard creativity More than that they announced - you will be able to sell your TINKERS

Deleted
    I know they are removing combat bonuses but what about things like the extra time on flasks for alchemy?

Are they changing the Mixology buff that gives 2 hours on flasks as well?

Deleted
    Anything will most likely bring you in a okish income so pick whichever you prefer

How about we at least wait until beta to start trying to figure out which profession to get. Do you ppl not realize it's still in alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    I think the developers aim for a balanced income so it may be more profitable to just stick with the ones you have or level any professions and then use your effort to maximise profit on them rather than using your effort to theorycraft which professions supposedly keep you more wealthy.
    He says with that signature text.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Any of the crafting professions (tailoring, blacksmithing and leatherworking, and maybe jewelcrafting if they implement epic rings/neck to be crafted) will offer the best income.
    Well im not sure, but there was some rumor around the blue posts that they might implement the random WF, gem slot and tertiary stats system for the crafted gear as well. That is why i think those professions will be most profitable if u are lucker :P

But also i think herbalism and minig will also offer a good income since we wount be able to fly next expansion and farming ores and herbs will be more harder and time consuming. i bet the prices will skyrocket x)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomazooma View Post
    So garrisons can provide X mats per day, craft X items per day, or both?
    The main thing I was wondering, is whether my garrison can DE soulbound Q items, or if I should keep enchanting on my main.
    From the datamined information, it seems that initially, garrison buildings store up to x days worth of mats based on the buildings level (lv 1 = 1 days, lv 2 = 2 days, lv 3 = 4 days). There's also another building that increases that storage by 1 per lvl as well. However, Blizzard has not said what "1 day's" worth of mats are. Additionally it seems that some building get a specialization that either creates items (x per day??) or boost rare mats provided.

For example the alchemist building at lv 3 seems to have the following specializations: Student Lab (creates potions), Transmutation (increases rate of metamorphic crystals - rare mat), Elixir (increases rate of Alchemical Catalysts - rare mat). Both Alchemical Catalysts and Metamorphic Crystals are used in Alchemy for Flask making in WoD (both normal and greater flasks).

Meanwhile the Enchanter's Study can DE items. Currently unsure what the actual specializations are for this building.

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    Any of the crafting professions (tailoring, blacksmithing and leatherworking, and maybe jewelcrafting if they implement epic rings/neck to be crafted) will offer the best income.
    Well im not sure, but there was some rumor around the blue posts that they might implement the random WF, gem slot and tertiary stats system for the crafted gear as well. That is why i think those professions will be most profitable if u are lucker :P

But also i think herbalism and minig will also offer a good income since we wount be able to fly next expansion and farming ores and herbs will be more harder and time consuming. i bet the prices will skyrocket x)
    Raw materials have always been a strong market especially early in an expansion. But crafting professions are quite a mixed bag from the datamined information so far.

For instance, blacksmiths/leatherworkers/tailors can create nice pieces of armor but it seems that the method in which they learn recipes will be the 5.x system of using a daily CD. In which case, not only do you have to be "lucky" in learning the recipe early on, but you also have to use your CD every day AND possibly get the DE epic reagent to boost making the necessary crafting material for it faster. Players who can get their items to market faster will likely be able to sell their wares at a higher premium to those "HC" raiders.

Jewelcrafters are in a tough spot because in general there will be fewer sockets on gear and they lose their JC-only gems (combat bonus removal). So unless other professions need gems for their crafts, the need for JCs drops significantly. However, since sockets won't count in itemization of an item they will be highly valued so the JCs that remain (if a lot of people leave JC) will be able to command a premium for their services.

Bag making (which includes Tailoring, Leatherworking, Engineering) will probably still remain viable as people love their bag space and it's likely we'll see a new larger bag in WoD which will probably sell well throughout the expansion. However, note that last expansions' bags are a good market too.

Engineering seems be gaining quite a few gizmos that are BoE so those should sell well. Vanity items, Pets, Mounts, etc. have always been an unique if not volatile market on the AH.

Lastly, Enchanting and Alchemy are my personal top picks. Flasks, potions and enchants seem to be most likely markets to see increases because these items are the "new" way to reforge.
    Draenor Flask provide +400 of a secondary stat (Greater D. Flasks provide +500) and ring/neck/cloak enchants provide a total of +455 to +540 of a secondary stat. Also the primary stat boosts are going to be restricted to potions which provide +2k of primary stat (Str/Int/Agi) for 25s on a 1min CD.

Amended to Alpha Patch 18471

Given the new alchemist recipe reagents for the flasks: Sorcerous Water and Sorcerous Fire

I speculate that both Blackrock Ore and Frostweed could be in high in demand. Additionally, looking over the reagent lists for various flasks, it seems that a good alchemist will also need fishing, herbalism, and general mob killing (for meats). The good news is that supposedly the garrisons can provide such items (i.e. fishing hut, farm 2.0, and barn).

We'll have to see what other ways you can generate the Sorcerous Water/Fire elements (supposedly all professions can generate some form of Sorcerous elements).
    Last edited by Alroxas; 2014-06-26 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Updated information from Alpha Patch 18471