[Disc] Preparing raid for damage spikes

How do you guys prepare for damage spikes? I know that if you go in to a spirit shell with borrowed time up and no 4 piece, you can get off 4 Prayer of Healing before the debuff wears off. And I also use divine star to cover the raid in shields as well. Is this efficient?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I understand that spirit shell pretty much makes Prayer of healing 100% efficient.. My question is if using divine star when everyone is topped off to get DAs out is efficient.

15s before spike I usually go DS->2x PoH->SS->4x PoH. At least in 10 man it should cap both DA and SS and I have DS off CD for the spike. If it's like Garrosh and you don't have SS available for every whirlwind, it's crucial to pre-cap DA on raid with PoHs and DS and have inner focus + DS ready for the actual spike. Regarding borrowing time, you should be able to get off 4 PoH regardless with the haste from legendary cloak + amp trinket.

I see. So let's say for example nazgrim is it efficient to use halo before a war song? Im very new to disc... But I just did 150k HPS on noru at 525 iLvl. My divine star had 92% overhealing but it had a 41% crit chance and that means it was doing a massive shit tonne of DAs.
    Last edited by Invrlose; 2014-05-10 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    I see. So let's say for example nazgrim is it efficient to use halo before a war song? Im very new to disc... But I just did 150k HPS on noru at 525 iLvl. My divine star had 92% overhealing but it had a 41% crit chance and that means it was doing a massive shit tonne of DAs.
    Well you should always factor in the travel time of Halo which is about 2.5-3s in optimal range so you should precast Halo 1-2 seconds before the actual hit so people get topped off asap with your Halo. But you should never pre cast Halo for the DA. The reason why DS works is because it has 15s CD which is the same duration as DA so if you cast DS 10-15sec before spike and refresh DA with a couple of PoH you have it up again for the spike while also having gained a shit ton of DA from it.

Oh okay makes sense. For halo use it post-damage... Not to prep the raid with DA's.

Huh... never thought about using DS on Garrosh. I've always just used Halo and ran out of the group to hit people with it. Seems pretty obvious to me now that DS is probably a superior choice. And it makes sense with the duration of DA.

Usually I go PW:S->AA->IF->SS->4x PoH->DS about 15 seconds before the damage hits. Is AA (with 2pc bonus) overkill? It seems to be pretty effective but is also a lot of button presses to prepare.
    Last edited by ToasterX; 2014-05-10 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterX View Post
    Usually I go PW:S->AA->IF->SS->4x PoH->DS about 15 seconds before the damage hits. Is AA (with 2pc bonus) overkill? It seems to be pretty effective but is also a lot of button presses to prepare.
    #showtooltip Spirit Shell
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Archangel
    /cast Spirit Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Hyclro View Post
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Archangel
    /cast Spirit Shell
    I actually used to have a macro like that but I removed it because, at times, I want to cast them all individually. However... I do have button 3 in my num row just begging for a use... Maybe I'll have to bring it back

Quote Originally Posted by Hyclro View Post
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Archangel
    /cast Spirit Shell
    Archangel should never find itself in a situation where it's always available to cast when you want to Spirit Shell.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Archangel should never find itself in a situation where it's always available to cast when you want to Spirit Shell.
    AA has a 30s cd whereas SS has a 1m cd. I keep them separate for that reason. So I can use AA on cd, as I see fit, but I also find myself hitting all 3 at the same time in order to get big spirit shells out in order to prep for heavy raid-wide damage.

So, I suppose the lesson to be learned here is keep them separate because each does fill a niche purpose but one can also macro them together like that if they want a single button they can pop just to throw out stronger spirit shells.

Quote Originally Posted by ToasterX View Post
    AA has a 30s cd whereas SS has a 1m cd. I keep them separate for that reason. So I can use AA on cd, as I see fit, but I also find myself hitting all 3 at the same time in order to get big spirit shells out in order to prep for heavy raid-wide damage.

So, I suppose the lesson to be learned here is keep them separate because each does fill a niche purpose but one can also macro them together like that if they want a single button they can pop just to throw out stronger spirit shells.
    The optimal usage of AA (and thus SS) varies with your T90.

If your T90 is named "Divine Star" or "Cascade", you pop AA and instantly use your T90. After your T90, you instantly use SS.

This is to keep your T90 nicely lined up with AA casts. Halo has not only an awkward cd of 40s, it also heals a ridiculous amount with or without AA anyway, so it doesn't need to line up.

Now, if you popped AA at the same time as you popped SS, your T90 won't line up properly. Divine Star is hit the most because you no longer are able to fit in 2 of it before it ends, which is by far the most optimal usage of the spell.

So you have these situations:

With Divine Star slotted, Spirit Shell given priority:

AA+SS+IF -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> Divine Star -> AA ends

With Divine Star slotted, Divine Star given priority:

AA -> DS -> SS+IF -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> Divine Star -> AA ends

With Cascade slotted, Spirit Shell given priority:

1st AA cycle -
    AA+SS+IF -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> Cascade -> AA ends
    2nd AA cycle -
    AA -> Cascade comes up earlier in the middle of the AA's duration this time -> AA ends
    3rd AA cycle -
    AA+SS+IF -> Cascade now comes back up CD -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> you wasted 10 seconds of holding on to Cascade's throughput -> Cascade -> AA ends

With Cascade slotted, Cascade given priority

1st AA cycle -
    AA -> Cascade -> SS+IF -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> PoH -> AA ends
    2nd AA cycle -
    AA -> Cascade -> Fillers -> AA ends
    3rd AA cycle -
    repeat 1st AA cycle

By macroing AA to SS, you essentially screw your entire optimal AA usage. I repeat: AA should never find itself in a situation where it's always available to cast when you want to Spirit Shell. Only time you do is if you slot Halo.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Too much was taken from the macro I linked. I have separate binds for IF, AA & Shell. It's convenient to have the macro for when needed, as ToasterX stated.