Thread: World PvP Rant

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Angry World PvP Rant

I apologize for this, because it is mostly an angry rant, but I really wanted to get it off my chest.

So I came back to WoW to play with a friend. He is level 90, and don't have the money for insta-90, but I was able to make a DK. He is on Illidian, which is from what I understand overrun with Horde. I thought I would be fine since I was rolling Horde, but this was not the case.

I was leveling in Hellfire for about an hour before I just rage quit because every time I tried to do any questing I would get one-shot by (what I assume were) level 90s. Asked for help in general, and they assaulted Honor Hold, which helped for about 5 minutes, and the few people in my guild said they were busy.

The problem for me isn't World PvP in general, as when the two combatants are of similar level it's actual pretty fun. Hell I leveled on a PvP server when I played SWTOR, and even tonight I found an alliance player that was 62 and had fun fighting him, even if I lost. My problem is the fact that characters that can one-shot you are allowed to do so. It's why I mostly avoid PvP servers, and I don't functionally understand why Blizz thinks it's OK. Why not make it so that you can't attack characters who are 10 or so levels below you? I know that they think that the lowbies will call for help and it will create epic world PvP moments, but either one side dominates the other completely or people will just quit.

/endrant

Well, those 90s aren't your typical PvPers. PvP is mostly a honor based fight, and when all is said and done, it's GG from both sides. 90s don't usually run around low level zones just to grief questers.

Hellfire has been a lost cause on most PVP clusters since CRZ happened.

Queue for dungeons and pretend Hellfire doesn't exist. You will be much better off once you get to another TBC zone.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

find friends, ask your guild. Spam local defense. There are solutions to this issue other than going at a max level toon on a lowbie because that will 100% of the time end in your face on the ground.

that type of pvp is fine, just need friends to help you when it does.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Unfortunately with freedom comes power to be an ass, and some people will be sure to use that freedom to get away with a general attitude and behaviour that they can't get away with in real life for good reason.
    Ironically they are often the loudest portion asking for World PvP, but completely ignore the definition of that acronym which includes the word Versus, something they have no intention of honouring.
    I don't consider cowardly attacks preventing or minimising any options for fair response to be Player Versus Player for the reason, as there is no Versus part.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-05-11 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Well, those 90s aren't your typical PvPers. PvP is mostly a honor based fight, and when all is said and done, it's GG from both sides. 90s don't usually run around low level zones just to grief questers.
    I agree, but the problem isn't actual PvPers, the problem is with max level characters just going around one-shoting people who literally can't defend themselves, and I don't think actual PvPers do that because it takes away the challenge.

It is still technically PvP, just completely one sided.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    find friends, ask your guild. Spam local defense. There are solutions to this issue other than going at a max level toon on a lowbie because that will 100% of the time end in your face on the ground.

that type of pvp is fine, just need friends to help you when it does.
    So if I want to play on off-hours, or if general/defense chat is acting like a bunch of children I should just deal with it? I already said I tried those options with basically no change.
    '"I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you." -Batman, The Dark Knight Returns

Hmm I don't remember getting ganked a huge amount while leveling toons. Maybe times have changed or something but you can choose the option of queue dungeons or moving onto another zone. The way heirlooms and gear is atm, you can easily do quests and mobs a few levels higher. Also, if some higher level toon camps you, they will probably do that until you quit doing that quests because that is 90% reason why they are there. It happened to me when i was lvling ~30-40, I asked a friend to invite me and zone me into his realm. Problem solved, no pvp needed

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMadHatt View Post

So if I want to play on off-hours, or if general/defense chat is acting like a bunch of children I should just deal with it?
    Pretty much OR....

Just burn thru dungeons as a Blood dk.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Williee View Post
    Hmm I don't remember getting ganked a huge amount while leveling toons. Maybe times have changed or something but you can choose the option of queue dungeons or moving onto another zone. The way heirlooms and gear is atm, you can easily do quests and mobs a few levels higher. Also, if some higher level toon camps you, they will probably do that until you quit doing that quests because that is 90% reason why they are there. It happened to me when i was lvling ~30-40, I asked a friend to invite me and zone me into his realm. Problem solved, no pvp needed
    That's fair, but I think only a couple of the same people killed me more than once. I do need to see what friends of mine still play WoW, so maybe that will help lol
    '"I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you." -Batman, The Dark Knight Returns

The other option: get someone to btag invite you to phase onto a PVE realm until you get out of hellfire.

The problem for me isn't World PvP in general, as when the two combatants are of similar level it's actual pretty fun. Hell I leveled on a PvP server when I played SWTOR, and even tonight I found an alliance player that was 62 and had fun fighting him, even if I lost. My problem is the fact that characters that can one-shot you are allowed to do so.
    Yes I've always hated this. The fact that high leveled/geared characters can 1-shot low level characters ruins world PVP - as you say, when you're both the same level world PVP is actually a lot of fun.

Also low PVP is pretty unbalanced at the moment, some classes will just stomp everyone. But that's a different issue.

Ideally WoW would embrace a system like I think GW2 has? Where low chars are scaled up when a max level char hits them.

Man what planet do you live on? Ganking is the norm, true PVP between like level characters is rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ganking lowbies is the best part of WoW.
    You cared enough to post.

I'm not sure what game you are playing, but it obviously is not WoW. Hell, I've had times (especially in the old days) when level 60s (then the level cap) would try to get lowbies to intentionally flag or go to areas where they would end up flagged by the system and corpse camp them until they eventually rage quit. It was the norm, and from the sounds of things, it hasn't changed at all.

OP: Don't level in questing zones.. just dungeon run your way all the way through, and if you aren't playing a tank or healer than make that as your first character for the instant queues.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Man what planet do you live on? Ganking is the norm, true PVP between like level characters is rare.
    I was wondering that too. Even when two parties involved are the same level; world PVP is usually about being opportunistic or bringing friends. People almost never start a fight they're unsure they can win. That's how it's always been. I know I sure as hell didn't get all my bloody coins by being an honorable duelist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people who gank lowbies are typically bad at pvp, so they need to gank lowbies to feel good about themselves. When a 90 comes around most of them log or run away.

Deleted
    I apologize for this, because it is mostly an angry rant, but I really wanted to get it off my chest.

So I came back to WoW to play with a friend. He is level 90, and don't have the money for insta-90, but I was able to make a DK. He is on Illidian, which is from what I understand overrun with Horde. I thought I would be fine since I was rolling Horde, but this was not the case.

I was leveling in Hellfire for about an hour before I just rage quit because every time I tried to do any questing I would get one-shot by (what I assume were) level 90s. Asked for help in general, and they assaulted Honor Hold, which helped for about 5 minutes, and the few people in my guild said they were busy.

The problem for me isn't World PvP in general, as when the two combatants are of similar level it's actual pretty fun. Hell I leveled on a PvP server when I played SWTOR, and even tonight I found an alliance player that was 62 and had fun fighting him, even if I lost. My problem is the fact that characters that can one-shot you are allowed to do so. It's why I mostly avoid PvP servers, and I don't functionally understand why Blizz thinks it's OK. Why not make it so that you can't attack characters who are 10 or so levels below you? I know that they think that the lowbies will call for help and it will create epic world PvP moments, but either one side dominates the other completely or people will just quit.

/endrant
    Why make a thread about this? Next time just cry to mummy.

Find someone lvl 90 on a PVE realm and invite them. Wait 5 minutes or take a flight path and you will lose PVP flag ! Quest and enjoy

World PvP has always been about griefing and one-shotting low level players.

If you can't take the heat, then roll on a care bear server.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hellfire I think is one of the worst zones for ganking, along with the area around the Dark Portal itself in the Blasted Lands. Those people aren't your typical PvPers. In a fair fight they tend to do rather poorly. Best bet is to avoid Hellfire for the most part. Dungeons and random battlegrounds are your best bet until you can get into Zangar.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

/endrant
    You need to level up in fear for your life and with hate in your heart for the opposing faction. If it's not nurtured into you at low levels, you will grow up to be weak, undisciplined and untrained in the fine points of surviving with your class. You will also grow thinking this is World of Peacecraft.

Be thankful that when you die, you can come back.

Do or die. That's all I think of your rant.