Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Black is the new orange

LOL /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    i would like different shades for warforged or item level upgraded loot. like maybe make it a little more purple.
    Hi

Deleted
    I love the idea! Why not make it super powerful but also make it so you can not repair it. Can use it now and then to help get past certain hard bosses your guild is struggling with but eventually it would break and then you can only keep it for cosmetic value.

I really don't know why people still obsess over color when item level has been the relevant indicator for soooooooo long now. There's nothing wrong with the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra666 View Post
    I love the idea! Why not make it super powerful but also make it so you can not repair it. Can use it now and then to help get past certain hard bosses your guild is struggling with but eventually it would break and then you can only keep it for cosmetic value.
    I actually like this idea. Not useable in pvp etc. Really rare drop. Ensures no one can really gear out in them. Makes you choose to use it for damage or for mogging purposes. Like the idea a lot.

Really works with the artifact name as well. Ancient power, but brittle due to time.

The color system is an outdated artifact. We now use item levels to measure gear quality. It is a far superior system.

Not sure if its true but red was the last colour on the scale, at least, the first time i saw a leaked version of the twin blades it was red, rift uses red as its colour after legendary, so does torchlight 2 (after unique) although, i haven't really seen it used all that much, my guess is that they don't want to devalue items by introducing a new type.

for the most part they haven't gotten full use out of legendary yet, lets wait till we get 6+ tiers of full legendary items before thinking about creating a new pinnacle.

item level has changed the value of gear, although you don't need an item level to decide which 2 pieces are better, its only that blizzard have diluted gear into sub tiers, if there was only one tier you wouldn't need item level because epic would be epic, there wouldn't be another tier of epic.. then again you still don't need item level, because unless you ebayed your character you should know what gear your wearing and from which raid it came from and what items are better than them. if i'm wearing t5 i know t6 is better, regardless of item level. if i'm wearing t9, i know t10 is better regardless of item level. and so on and so forth. if you need to wear the highest item level gear to do the best your doing it wrong, there have been numerous occasions where item level doesn't mean its better, and that items of lower item level are actually better. usually trinkets, but it can be that the previous BiS item isn't as good as the first higher ilvl item statwise.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-05-11 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    ...something that is irrelevant? It just so happens 98% of the game revolves around that "irrelevant" something.
    It is irrelevant. VERY VERY irrelevant. Item level is the only thing that means anything. The colour isn't needed. At all.
    Aye mate

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much the only colors left are red and black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    The color system is an outdated artifact. We now use item levels to measure gear quality. It is a far superior system.
    except a blue 476 will be less powerful than a purple 476.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    except a blue 476 will be less powerful than a purple 476.
    Noo? This was changed way back in... Cataclysm, I think? Greens are generally inferior, but blue vs purple is pretty much the same thing.

There's no need. Just scale where we get gear now. As it is 100% of the gear that you get at level cap (where 95% of content takes places) is epic. Make epic gear available from difficult content regardless of level; Make rare or green gear come from 'easy' max/low level content. There should be hardly any epics at low level unless it's from a lucky drop (which is what it's like now) and epics should also be valued as rare, powerful items nowadays too. Legendaries are meant to be EXTREMELY rare, items that only 1 or 2 people per server even have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    But it's boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    My car is more expensive than yours, it should have a dedicated colour so you can see the difference ...

Y'all get pink, yo
    I'm sure if your car is that much more expensive it will indeed look a hell of a lot better than a first time buyers car; And that's fine, it gives us something to look forward to and work towards. Sure, some great cars don't look like much but still run beautifully, but you know what I mean.

It would only be useful if the current colour system was actually meaningful.
    It isn't.
    Ever since vanilla there have been fundamental flaws with it.
    World Drop Epics which required no skill, only gold or sheer dumb luck.
    Several tiers of raid epics, meaning a widely varying amount of work needed, but neither being more "epic" than the other.
    Gear resets with expansions putting us back to greens and even whites superior to the epics of the previous.

The colour system needs removed, not extended.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Color system should stay the same, but pieces obtained in higher difficulty should have more art effects. Like the lock wings, shaman wolf shoulders ect ect.

Maybe lfr has a few sparkles, flex a few more, normal has beginnings of animated art, mythic has full on animated with glowing and sparkles. So same basic design but more art with higher difficulty.

Deleted
    The colors got completely alienated. The playerbase nowadays doesn't even remember their initial purpose. Gear Quality was never about rarity but actually about power (while rarity was a side effect - like in any rpg bad items will less likely as rare as a good one hence the common-legendary naming). Green hat more stats than white, blue had more than green and purple had more than blue. Even in classic certain addons and wow databases showed the itemlevel.

And the old system was about something like:
    Between 3 weapons on itemlevel 50, one green (uncommon) one blue (rare) one purple (epic) the epic one would beat them by far because it would have more dps, more stats and likely a better look.

But that changed with cataclysm. They threw away the entire color/item quality system by making itemlevel the only interesting thing on an item. Since then as long 3 weapons have the same itemlevel they will not differ statswise. An uncommon Weapon on ilvl 400 has same dps and stats as the rare AND epic one. But people never realized it was different once, they still stay on the "rarity"-side which was always a laughingstock (since those "rare" epics were always the low itemlevel ones that dropped from trash in dungeons & openword and most of those random epics had a much lower itemlevel than the blues from dungeons, making most of then equal or even inferior).

So really.. no need to invest any more resources on this crippled game feature. They could redesign it entirely but as it is - no thanks. No additions needed either.
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2014-05-11 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Green = quest/random drop gear, Blue = long quest chain/dungeon gear/random rare drop, Purple = heroic dungeons/LFR, Red = Raid gear. And maybe a dark greyish for PvP gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red is already reserved in any case for Artifact level gear.

The answer to the question in the thread is no. If anything they should scrap the colored tool text system entirely. Ilevel rules.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Yakrion View Post
    I don't really see the point. It wouldn't fix inflated ilvls, because it would actually inflate them more (by increasing power disparity, unless you meant just the ilvl #, which I think is irrelevant).

The whole point of the gray -> white -> green -> blue -> purple -> orange scheme is to denote a broad designation of how much effort you have to put in to get it. Greens = solo content, blues = dungeons & end of quest plotlines, purples = raids, orange = once or twice an expansion. So to justify a new color, you'd need to justify a new type/level of gear. More powerful items would just be legendaries (orange). And given the ilvl/power disparity that Mists introduced, I don't think more legendary level items is the answer.
    purples drop in chests now on timeless isle.