Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Holinka revealed sometime ago that Bear Trap is a strong root + bleeding damage effect. I imagine it's designed mostly to enhance Survival effectiveness in PvP and is not meant to be used in PvE. Or so I think.
    Celestalon just confirmed it. And if it's worth using in PvP (damage wise), it will definetly be worth using in PvE, assuming bosses will trigger it

Would be an interesting backtrack if it became part of their pve rotation. At that point they may as well buff snake trap while they're at it. I'm not certain Blizzard have ever been truly happy with traps in general, though. Just as much chance of it not applying on immune targets, more used as a soft cc for adds/pvp.
    Last edited by turboether; 2014-05-13 at 07:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemishowl View Post
    I reckon it'll be a CD for survival since it was in the same post about FF going back to MM and whatnot. I can't imagine a trap CD being fun to aim at your main target though if multiple enemies were around
    RF* and yup it looks like it will be a CD

Quote Originally Posted by Celestalon
    @tanjon Root+LotsOfDamage. It's a DPS cooldown. source
    Kinda odd to not have a magical (mastery) CD for Survival though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    I'm liking the sound of SV becoming a more dot pressure spec more and more.
    Maybe not all that great that it has to do be done through the use of traps (unreliable) but we'll see.

Only problem with bear trap being bleed damage is the mastery won't help it any.

Also, not sure why people are complaining bliz wants to take their pets away. Having a talent option to not have to deal with a retarded pet is a godsend for any of the plethora of boss encounters that hunter pets get stuck or hung up in and require /petpassive /petfollow /petassist /petattack macros as a bigger part of your rotation than cobra shot.

It's a lovely solution. I believe they also said having a pet will always do superior damage to not having a pet. They said this in regards to warlocks when talking about tuning their grimoire of sacrifice, but they said it about pet classes in general... They need to have a pet. The option is there for convenience or to get around stupid mechanics, ai, or environment, but having fluffy will do more damage than not having fluffy unless fluffy is off in a corner spazzing out because he can't figure out how to reach the boss.

Honestly i'd be more worried about how much of a damage loss using the petless talent will be considering hunters are already said to be balanced around dealing less damage while stationary due to their superior mobility. I kinda worry even top-end skilled hunters won't come close to the damage output of top end other ranged dps. If they have to reduce their damage further by taking that talent on certain fights, it'll make it even worse.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Only problem with bear trap being bleed damage is the mastery won't help it any.
    I asked him about that:

Quote Originally Posted by Celestalon
    There are upsides to that as well; able to make gearing changes to focus different strengths.
    Not sure I follow but he knows better I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogz View Post
    I asked him about that:

Not sure I follow but he knows better I guess.
    Yeah you could reforge out of.... Oh wait...

I kid, I kid.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bear trap? Guardians beware!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how it couldn't be some part of our rotation as Survival if done correctly. Like someone mentioned, another AMoC, but on a shorter cooldown. My idea:

"You launch a trap at your target, causing x damage over x seconds. All enemies within x yards are rooted for x seconds."

Just because it's trap doesn't mean it has to be treated exactly like a trap. This way it still can be used in a rotation as it doesn't have to be placed. It just, well, lands on them I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Bear trap? Guardians beware!
    bear trap one shots guardian druids or any druid in bear form. confirmed

With the removal of scatter shot they're making traps arm instantly aren't they? I'm pretty sure I read that awhile back, unless I'm mistaken. If I'm not I like to imagine throwing the trap and having bears spring forth! That's how I'm gonna picture it and you cant stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    I don't see how it couldn't be some part of our rotation as Survival if done correctly. Like someone mentioned, another AMoC, but on a shorter cooldown. My idea:

"You launch a trap at your target, causing x damage over x seconds. All enemies within x yards are rooted for x seconds."

Just because it's trap doesn't mean it has to be treated exactly like a trap. This way it still can be used in a rotation as it doesn't have to be placed. It just, well, lands on them I guess?
    I think it will be like this as well, it follows the theme of our class having a lot of short cooldowns (glaive toss/barrage, DB/fervor, BA, ES). I have a feeling it will be like the old fire trap. (flame trap? whatever that was)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering how it will interact with cleave fights. Will it share the same CD as explosive trap? What if multiple mobs are stacked, will you have to hope the DoT applies to the correct target? (or is the bleed on all targets?)

15+ Year Old Account
    I imagine the bleed would be on the main target, and the root on everyone else and the target. Though maybe the bleed would hit everything else for a % less? It would need tweaking but I think it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by mercylolk View Post
    I think it will be like this as well, it follows the theme of our class having a lot of short cooldowns (glaive toss/barrage, DB/fervor, BA, ES). I have a feeling it will be like the old fire trap. (flame trap? whatever that was)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering how it will interact with cleave fights. Will it share the same CD as explosive trap? What if multiple mobs are stacked, will you have to hope the DoT applies to the correct target? (or is the bleed on all targets?)
    I gander if it's a CD it won't share with explosive trap. I don't think it will be fun to use on multi-target fights really unless you're solid with trap launching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Again it wouldn't really be a trap. It's called bear trap but it basically gets launched right at your target and works on impact. In my way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryas View Post
    Again it wouldn't really be a trap. It's called bear trap but it basically gets launched right at your target and works on impact. In my way anyway.
    Technically all traps work on impact now, so no, it's still a trap. Just because you shoot it at a target dummy and it works right away doesn't make it any less of a trap. You can't just click the trap and it'll go straight towards the target or anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Right. But I'm saying just because it's called bear trap doesn't mean it has to work exactly like the rest of our traps. It wouldn't be placed. You would have a target, use the ability, trap launches and works on impact w/ target.

Quote Originally Posted by mercylolk View Post
    I so hope it interacts with cleave. Maybe have a diminishing return as in does less damage to all if X amount of mobs are hit rather than just Y or 1. Perhaps it'll only allow a max amount of 3 and you have to hope it does damage to the primary one you're aiming for.

Also, food for thought - would it make the rotation feel clunky if you had to use bear trap with trap launcher and place where you wanted or if it had an "arming" time aka cast timer to launch it? Just kinda curious where things could possibly go knowing it's blizzard. I may be making this more difficult then it needs to be. Just curious

15+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking no placement: just goes to the target and surrounding area. Would have to do a decent amount of damage to warrant a cast time too, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind a cast time, but that's just me. It would definitely have to do enough damage to make it part of the rotation, especially since Explosive Shot is our Bread and Butter and we cant miss a chance to use that among other abilities