Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    I don't know what this hot list is based upon. Is it based on web hits for game content on the Chinese site they cite as a source? Or is it based on actual activity numbers that site has attained? Xfire is pure self-selection and easily manipulated by promotions, so I can't really equate the two without knowing what sort of numbers the China list is based upon.
    It may be possible that China's providers actually give some info since it's mostly cafe base or something, but I just assume all the numbers are made up. Maybe there's some dice involved, but the numbers are always going to be useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    2nd Census from China

http://gw2.17173.com/content/2014-07...55902215.shtml

De Weina 304773 ★
    Lion's Arch 302635 ★
    Blade of Destiny 285065 ★
    nightwatchman 240,464 ★
    Dolma 206009 ★
    words of God to 175404 ☆
    deep sea dragon 137967 ★
    Abberton 135404 ☆
    Blessed City 133117 ☆
    of God swamp 130,578 fans
    Balthazar 128153 ☆
    falling rock waterfall 125193
    Shield Cliff 115783 ☆
    Lisa 114928 ☆
    Zetan 110809 ★
    Titans Claw 107,033
    Gulan Si 104334 ★
    Kemi Er 85601 ☆
    Merlin duo 85240 ☆
    Purgatory Canyon 85169 ☆
    soul York 78565
    Lata Som 69,575
    passphrase Mission 65787 ☆
    Dawn Heights 62455
    Derman religious 55089 ☆
    fear Gulf 54947 ☆
    ash wasteland 48,444
    betrayal abyss 47,796
    green lake 46,666
    camp Modesto 44390 ☆
    carat Cato 32185
    Eye of the North 31588
    Ed Byrne 11097

Total = 3,762,243

For comparison purposes, here's the 1st Census http://gw2.17173.com/content/2014-05...95709329.shtml
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it the number of characters made or only active? Or something else?

Thats quite huge anyway. Ncsoft is going to make big money this Q with gw2 china and Wildstar west.

Curious to see the earning report.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's number of accounts.

Soooo, adding the ~3.5 mil from NA/US puts it up to 7.2 million accounts worldwide.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I'm not taking away from GW2 strong release, I'm just saying the exact same thing happened in the West with xfire its not impressive in anyway to 'beat' an ageing gaming in a content lull in its first month, where is mount and blade now in China and where is Gw2 on xfire?
    Exactly, GW2 does well when their marketing team gets into players heads and the developers spin webs of lies. Once players find out the truth, the game is dropped hard as a rock and likely breaks numbers for the amount of people quitting an MMO lol.. GW2 is already irrelevant in the west, I expect the same in china before too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other services is unclear, but De Weina has not so many people.
    In the past, even the morning of 3,4 points, border battlefield can line up 500 +.
    Right now? Even primetime line up is not much about 20,30, other times has been the second into.
    PVP, it is even more pitiful.
    In the past, competitive mode, matching the longest wait is only about 1 minute, PVP list is always 10/20 or more so.
    Right now? Wait five or six minute match did not enter too, PVP apart from the top few lines to keep more than 10 people, but also the rest of the people around 3,4.
    The game is good, but playable too low.
    Comments are quite fun to read in google translate english, 4 months and people are already grumbling about a dying server.

Impressive sales figures though.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-07-07 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the smell of terror first thing in the morning.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Thessik-Irontail View Post
    Exactly, GW2 does well when their marketing team gets into players heads and the developers spin webs of lies. Once players find out the truth, the game is dropped hard as a rock and likely breaks numbers for the amount of people quitting an MMO lol.. GW2 is already irrelevant in the west, I expect the same in china before too long.
    Nice to have some Haterade in the morning. GW2 is the 3rd most played MMO on XFire (behind WoW and Wildstar) and the 4th most played MMO on Raptr (behind WoW, Wildstar and FFXIV). It pretty much is far from irrelevant and is in fact thriving.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2014-07-07 at 02:28 PM.

Doesn't China have mega server yet? How can a realm be "dying" with such a feature?

Nice to have some Haterade in the morning. GW2 is the 3rd most played MMO on XFire (behind WoW and Wildstar) and the 4th most played MMO on Raptr (behind WoW, Wildstar and FFXIV). It pretty much is far from irrelevant and is in fact thriving.
    Considering that W* just released it's theoretically higher.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even the cake is a lie!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Can you give link to these stats for raptr if it doesn't require install it? I am just curious. All I could find was xfire stats http://social.xfire.com/games (is there different list for xfire?) where gw2 was after wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Xfire is a completely unreliable metric to use, no one uses it anymore. Everyone uses TeamSpeak3, Skype, and Mumble or Ventrilo to a lesser extent.

I mean, c'mon. Even League of Legends with over 27 million players a day only shows 14k using xfire.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Xfire is a completely unreliable metric to use, no one uses it anymore. Everyone uses TeamSpeak3, Skype, and Mumble or Ventrilo to a lesser extent.

I mean, c'mon. Even League of Legends with over 27 million players a day only shows 14k using xfire.
    Yea thats obvious. Just curios where ppl get these stats.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Can you give link to these stats for raptr if it doesn't require install it? I am just curious. All I could find was xfire stats http://social.xfire.com/games (is there different list for xfire?) where gw2 was after wow.
    I don't have Raptr installed either. I just have an account on the website. Just go to raptr.com/dashboard/games and log in with your username. You'll see the game rankings under "Top Games Being Played" and can filter it by week or by month.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Doesn't China have mega server yet? How can a realm be "dying" with such a feature?
    Clearly the person was talking about WvW (with Q times/lists as a metric for dwindling popularity) and PvP (with longer q times as an indicator of fewer people playing).
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Being second doesn't mean you're irrelevant. Pepsi is number 2, still pretty popular and profitable though...
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

15+ Year Old Account
    People still care about whether GW2 is dead or not? That debate is so 2012 really. MMO players are a fickle bunch which will zerg any game at launch just to leave again as late as six months later. A lot of these are looking for the ultimate MMO they could play for the remainder of their mortal existence, they don't find it so they log off or default back to WoW which has become the equivalent of a staple similar to dry bread. The remaining players usually and realistically reflect the targeted audience which can be enough to carry a game for a long time and from what I can see on our WvWvW it seems very much alive. So I say, let them have bread while I can have pie since the cake is certainly not true.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Comments are quite fun to read in google translate english, 4 months and people are already grumbling about a dying server.

Impressive sales figures though.
    Is this actual sales figures or are they still in beta?

It's sales numbers. The game officially launched about a couple months ago.

Really? A launch title beating a title in a content lull, about as impressive as my ability to dead lift 10kg...
    I'd say that about any game that wasn't WoW. But we're talking about WoW here, a game that can still hold more subscribers during a year long content gap than most games can pull in, even non-paying F2P players, at their peak.

Honestly, I can't think of another Western MMO that's been able to do that. Asian MMO's in Asia, sure, but not Asian ones in the West, or Western ones in Asia (the few that have launched over there).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd say that about any game that wasn't WoW. But we're talking about WoW here, a game that can still hold more subscribers during a year long content gap than most games can pull in, even non-paying F2P players, at their peak.

Honestly, I can't think of another Western MMO that's been able to do that. Asian MMO's in Asia, sure, but not Asian ones in the West, or Western ones in Asia (the few that have launched over there).
    I think one of the biggest reasons WoW holds onto it's numbers is familiarity. People have invested a great deal of time in their characters and regardless of newer and maybe better games, they are very hesitant to leave them. It's like having a girlfriend for a few years that's kinda meh looking but you're unwilling to dump her for the hot new girl that moved in because you're used to how your girlfriend brushes her teeth and doesn't snore.

And good for Arenanet. I play several mmo's on rotation while waiting for WoD and have to say the better these other mmo's succeed the better WoW will become. Competition drives improvement. The genre as a whole is not very healthy if only one game dominates. This is not for the OP but for the people who always jump into these threads and spout off nonsense about a game dying. You're a complete moron if you continually hope all other mmo's fail besides yours. Are you so insecure that you can't stand if another game has success??

- - - Updated - - -

Complete and utter bullshit. At least try to provide quantifiable evidence to back up these kind of claims. And no, your ass doesn't equal a reliable source.