1. #1641
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane-Villain View Post
    I must protest. Night Elves are nothing for Asian, physically and culturally. Only their architecture is some mariage between Japanese, old Nordic and ancient Greek-Roman architecture. Night Elves culturally are based rather on:
    - ancient celtic Sidhe, mysterious deities of nature and fertility
    - ancient Celts themselves with their social structure and power wielding by Druids
    - ancient greek Nymphs and Fauns
    - ancient nordic Alfar
    - Amazons mythos
    - Tolkien's Silvan Elves
    - probably native Northern Americans but not as far as Taurens are

    They even physically are nothing compared to Asian people. Their physics is clearly northern European with their long, angular face and long, sharp noses (even hooked in male's case) - Asian faces are round and their noses are very small. Night Elves also are very tall and athletic, and Asians are rather short and very slim. Also elven eyes are different. Narrow, yes - but in European style. Maybe eastern european (like Russian or Ukrainian models sometime have) but definitely not eastern Asian.

    The difference is very big, this faces are completely another and Asian girls, though they are pretty, don't match Night Elven and even none known by me elven race.
    Well, culturally they are a mixture of Norwegian, various Eastern Asian cultures, and Greek/Roman. Highborne buildings (and Temples of Elune) are extremely Greek and Roman in design. Traditionally, Night Elves eat many things commonly found in Japanese and Korean cuisine - kimchi, pears, sunfruit, rice, etc. Some are Asian-Greek mixtures, such as their wine made of ginger, stored in Greco-Roman inspired amphorae. They also like spice bread, which is across many cultures, as well as octopi, which is common in many seaside nations in real life. Their buildings are inspired equally by pagodas of eastern Asia as well as traditional Norwegian buildings. The swirling designs used in their furniture, flags, clothes, etc is very Celtic and Scandinavian in nature - which makes sense, considering where this type of elves originated.

    Their traditional clothes are very Chinese inspired, as well as the Lunar Festival itself, which is based off the Chinese New Year. The use of fireworks to scare off Omen (as well as the mention of Omen himself) is a nod toward the tradition in the Chinese New Year to scare off Nian - a demon that comes out around that time. It should be noted that Omen's model in the files is also called a "nian". They also give out Red envelopes in the festival in Night Elven culture and in real life during that time.

    Another notable thing about Night Elf society is the way they name their World Trees. Nordrassil, Vordrassil, and Teldrassil are all named after Yggdrasil, of Norse mythology. Elune's name comes from the latin root "luna" meaning "moon" which was also the Roman name for the goddess Selene. However, it's much similar to the French word, "lune" (which of course is derived from the Latin root). The prominence of female huntresses points more toward Artemis (Roman name, Diana) as the inspiration of Elune, or a combination of both.

    TLDR - Yes, they are based heavily on Asian cultures, but also several other ancient cultures as well.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

  2. #1642
    Deleted
    I agree with some architecture, housefolds items, food and some examples of clothing. Right, many of them are eastern Asian inspired. But most of the culture is a hybrid of mostly all ancient European cultures and physically they are European styled with maybe some native American features. For me Night Elves are much closer to Megan Fox or Monica Bellucci than Chinese, Korean or Japanese models and actresses. Only Lucy Liu is known by me famous Chinese actress who has face features matching Night Elves, because she has longer face and nose than typical Chinese woman.

  3. #1643
    Deleted
    Someone should say it. Puma Swede

  4. #1644
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane-Villain View Post
    I agree with some architecture, housefolds items, food and some examples of clothing. Right, many of them are eastern Asian inspired. But most of the culture is a hybrid of mostly all ancient European cultures and physically they are European styled with maybe some native American features. For me Night Elves are much closer to Megan Fox or Monica Bellucci than Chinese, Korean or Japanese models and actresses. Only Lucy Liu has face features matching Night Elves, because she has longer face and nose than typical Chinese woman.
    I wasn't exactly speaking at all about their personal looks - though I do understand that was part of your original post about the matter. Some of them have almond-shaped eyes, but they still don't look exactly white, black, asian, etc, because they are none of those in the end anyway. I was mostly referring to when you said:
    I must protest. Night Elves are nothing for Asian, physically and culturally.
    Culturally they share a lot of Asian attributes, mixed with other things. Things like the Lunar Festival, their attire, as well as traditions and foods are their culture.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

  5. #1645
    I for one love the new version of the female nelf. It looks MUCH MUCH better. If we also take fan made edits into consideration, this must be the best one I've seen: http://i.imgur.com/KpA3ShA.jpg

    So much butthurt in here, lol.

  6. #1646
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I wasn't exactly speaking at all about their personal looks - though I do understand that was part of your original post about the matter. Some of them have almond-shaped eyes, but they still don't look exactly white, black, asian, etc, because they are none of those in the end anyway. I was mostly referring to when you said:

    Culturally they share a lot of Asian attributes, mixed with other things. Things like the Lunar Festival, their attire, as well as traditions and foods are their culture.
    You're right about culturally attributes, I have mistaken indeed. Anyway I mostly was reffering to their apperance.

  7. #1647
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodovica View Post
    Male hobby? So... games can't be a female hobby as well (to you)? Yikes, no wonder stuff is going down in this thread with these kind of comments.

    As for the model's texture... all Blizzard needs to do is tone it down a bit on the muscle texture and find that balance between fair and lean. Night Elves are supposedly the amazon-type of ladies but since their old model didn't portray it as such because of lower quality texture work, Blizzard shouldn't suddenly pull that look out of the woodworks. It is too big of a change. I myself am okay with it (even though the bellybutton and abs need some work) but I can get the objections from other people.
    People like playing beautiful women in fantasy games. Both men and women either to look at them or to be them, respectively.

    Companies have a right to make games for the people who buy their products. Blizzard should reflect their audience and supply demand.

    I have nothing against them experimenting with new ideas but Blizzard are changing something that's incredibly popular.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auberjean View Post
    The old model was destroyed because Blizz took the "elite amazonian warrior woman" too far. To cater to a part of the nelf fans. The others.. well... can just use the old models, right? Or reroll, nelfs dont need THAT much popularity anyway....
    It's a shame. Night Elf females were synonymous with WoW and soon they will be gone forever. I doubt many people will use the older models when they can play an updated Blood Elf female. The Horde is currently the strongest faction as well because they have the best PVE racials.

    There's no reason to stay Alliance now unless you like playing with a handicap.

    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Because nelf females are meant to be like that. They are the main military of the elves, eat lean and practise a lot.

    Also they had 10.000 years to work out.
    But the original NE female models are popular and they are popular for a reason.

    Blizzard are taking a huge risk when their job is to supply demand. They destroyed the game with welfare epics and welfare legendaries and LFR for that reason but now they are prepared to fix something that isn't broken?

    It just seems like someone pressured the developers.

  8. #1648
    ^ same ..SAME...repetitive statements he's been saying for the last 40+ pages. Derailing the topics at hand as usual. Now with an added touch of paranoia.

    ***********************************

    what all has blizzard said about hairstyles? in prev expansions, hairstyles between some races were shared to increase the number of options.

    has blizz mentioned if, with the opportunity brought on by new models, whether we'll be getting fresh new hairstyles as well? If we do get some, it will be late in development, as it will be a late priority compared to all the other stuff that should be done first.

  9. #1649
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    ^ same ..SAME...repetitive statements he's been saying for the last 40+ pages. Derailing the topics at hand as usual. Now with an added touch of paranoia.

    ***********************************

    what all has blizzard said about hairstyles? in prev expansions, hairstyles between some races were shared to increase the number of options.

    has blizz mentioned if, with the opportunity brought on by new models, whether we'll be getting fresh new hairstyles as well? If we do get some, it will be late in development, as it will be a late priority compared to all the other stuff that should be done first.
    Chris Robinson, I believe at Blizzcon, mentioned that they would be able to add in new hairstyles any time. He mentioned that they had created a bunch more, and they only put in a few in late Cataclysm for some races. He later mentioned that Orcs would get Grom and Kargath's hairstyles in WoD on Twitter. I would imagine they would create a few more hair styles and accessories for the new models, with old-looking versions as well (since they had already had some they simply hadn't put live yet). Most of them would most likely be hair styles from other races translated for different races, as we've seen from the barber shop in Wrath and the new styles added in Cata.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

  10. #1650
    awesome. Though night elves probably still wont get the chance to have red hair outside of DK's.

  11. #1651
    Merely a Setback Sunseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    26,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    awesome. Though night elves probably still wont get the chance to have red hair outside of DK's.
    Considering that all hair colors on every race are just the same texture run through a colorize filter to the extreme, I hope they take this chance to add oh I dunno, about 256 colors.

    or a color wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  12. #1652
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Considering that all hair colors on every race are just the same texture run through a colorize filter to the extreme, I hope they take this chance to add oh I dunno, about 256 colors.

    or a color wheel.
    I agree, for hair, they definitely should!

  13. #1653
    Deleted
    I wish Night and Blood Elves would share more hairstyles than now. I won't talk about males now because I will wait for this when they would have their model and thread but for NElf females I wish:



    1 line: 1, 2
    2 line: 2
    3 line: 3
    4 line: 1

    + the long ponytail that already males and Maiev have instead of short female's one.

    EDIT: something like Vaanel made with the females in middle one:


    And priestesses of Elune:
    Last edited by mmoc77ff97b6ff; 2014-06-13 at 08:04 PM.

  14. #1654
    Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    People cares a lot about their characters appereance a lot wich is why transmog is so successful, and a lot of those people have spent a lot of gold/time farming and creating sets that are more revealing
    at

    Yes, I understand that people care for their characters, I'm also wondering how my toons gonna look like afer revamp, I don't deny that it is important for many, where I see the problem is that there is too big uproar over something so minor that is texture on belly.
    Gnome female has more issues due to getting perma-smile, and that would be troublesome, but belly texture? and it's not like it's badly done, or it looks ugly, it's the fact that there are muscles pronouced, as if it was a bad thing.

    I - despite the fact I was never elf fan- appreciate the new model and the effort that was put in, and I honestly don't care about such a minor adjustements that can easily be dismissed/ ignored.

    I'm looking forward to see models go live.

  15. #1655
    that line of discussion has ended. It is cyclical and going no where except for a multi-page stalemate. Can we please move on?

  16. #1656
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post

    But the original NE female models are popular and they are popular for a reason.

    Blizzard are taking a huge risk when their job is to supply demand. They destroyed the game with welfare epics and welfare legendaries and LFR for that reason but now they are prepared to fix something that isn't broken?

    Exactly. No matter the lore reasons, they shouldn't have changed what was ALREADY POPULAR. They strayed from the original vibe of the nelf female by making her look more savage and muscular.

    Also this:

    If you take into consideration anatomy --
    (and yes again I know she's a fantasy elf, but unless you want her gyrating and flopping all over the place due to bad muscle placement, you'd realize the anatomy is wrong for even an alien race based primarily on human anatomy)
    -- her abs are drawn TERRIBLY wrong. She has 4 abs - with 4 more abs slapped on top of them. Look at her belly button and look at the muscles layered there.

    Essentially, she looks like an old pop-eye cartoon where muscles layer on top of others when he eats spinach for the first few seconds. It looks absurd.

  17. #1657
    Deleted
    Blood Elf male is now more feminine than new Night Elf female model.
    Would be fair if they at least offer one time free race, gender and faction change for every Night Elf female character we have. Because this weird muscled creature with shortened legs, is not what I was used to play for so many years.

  18. #1658
    Meh the body is fine. The faces I'm much more worried about. I'm still not liking the new one. Something is off.

  19. #1659
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Meh the body is fine. The faces I'm much more worried about. I'm still not liking the new one. Something is off.
    Eyes too big to not have a hint of an iris, I'll quote someone from another forum that said "she looks like having headlights" instead of eyes. Lips look grotesque and I can't figure out why. The poses that have her mouth open are just nightmare-inducing, it might be because of the jawline and the way it curves inwards (?). Also, if they are going with this face as a basis (which in my oppinion in one of the less popular), and make slight variations to it, like they did with the rest of the races, they are making a big mistake. None of my characters have this face, and the new ones will be nothing alike. So much for keeping the "soul" of your character.

  20. #1660
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberjean View Post
    Eyes too big to not have a hint of an iris, I'll quote someone from another forum that said "she looks like having headlights" instead of eyes. Lips look grotesque and I can't figure out why. The poses that have her mouth open are just nightmare-inducing, it might be because of the jawline and the way it curves inwards (?). Also, if they are going with this face as a basis (which in my oppinion in one of the less popular), and make slight variations to it, like they did with the rest of the races, they are making a big mistake. None of my characters have this face, and the new ones will be nothing alike. So much for keeping the "soul" of your character.
    I take it you haven't seen this.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ght+elf+female

    Many of the face textures (while not applied to the skeleton yet) already show some variations in mouth shape, slight eye shape, cheekbone shape, etc. The model isn't done yet, and we haven't seen her in action at all.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •