Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

If you never seriously raided in WoW up to now, are you fucked in that regard?

Pretty much the title. If your goals in WoW previously never leaned toward high end raiding and you have regrets now, there's no hope to do anything this late into the game's lifespan is there?

I'm not even going to bring up PvP, but what else is there if anything competitive or rewarding now for someone who's been around since BC but MIA for WoD and Legion?

There's a lot of challenging solo activities, and there's pushing yourself through Mythic Plus ranks. As far as getting into high end raiding, it isn't impossible to find a guild, though better to find something at the start of a new tier or at the end/start of an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchant View Post
    There's a lot of challenging solo activities, and there's pushing yourself through Mythic Plus ranks. As far as getting into high end raiding, it isn't impossible to find a guild, though better to find something at the start of a new tier or at the end/start of an expansion.
    like what challenging solo activities. Also, do these concern making friends or are they possible with random people importantly

Depends on what you mean by "High End". New expansions bring new raid encounters along with new class playstyles. So its fairly easy to jump right in with a raiding guild and then go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "High End". New expansions bring new raid encounters along with new class playstyles. So its fairly easy to jump right in with a raiding guild and then go from there...
    it's not, I know people demand history out of you. Which I have none of as raiding goes.

And also I feel pretty bummed out anyway on squandering those years. Not like you can time travel.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went up to mythic levels in pugs in warlords of draenor, so you don't need friends to raid. It helps though. Only thing that mattered to group leads was ilevel. What got me far though was doing normal/heroic raids each week so my ilevel was higher, and I am a healer so I'm more in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    like what challenging solo activities. Also, do these concern making friends or are they possible with random people importantly
    Solo:

a. Mage Tower Challenges
    b. Endless Proving Grounds
    c. Ironman Challenges
    d. Soloing Old Raids in a Challenging Matter
    e. Certain PvE Pet Battles & PvP Pet Battling
    f. Certain Hunter Tames (e.g. Fenryr)
    g. Make your own collaboration/find something to do.

What I listed doesn't require people. Pushing Mythic Plus does, as we know, obviously. =P

Edit: Forgot Brawler's Guild!
    Last edited by Enchant; 2018-06-05 at 07:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Whenever a new expansion is released, everyone essentially gets a fresh start and can choose what they want to do in the expansion, so with BFA on the horizon, that will be your chance to start high end raiding. That can also be the case for any new tiers that are released but it would depend on what sort of catch up they add to the game.

Sometimes however, you cannot expect to jump straight into mythic raiding if its midway through the expansion, you will need to either pug or join a normal/hc guild until you feel ready to step into a mythic guild. Thats what I did during Dragon Soul and in the end I cleared 8/8 HC.

Sure, having previous experience might help when you apply to a guild, but you could have cleared every single raid since vanilla and still be a shit player, so do well in your trial and your previous experience won't matter.

it's not, I know people demand history out of you. Which I have none of as raiding goes.

And also I feel pretty bummed out anyway on squandering those years. Not like you can time travel.
    Some require it, some don't require it. It depends. Raiding history is more of a window. They want someone who will be dedicated and drama free, most of the time, well as an amazing player who is comfortably geared for said content and knows how to show up. Some want logs, too (i.e. death logs, performance, whatever). Make a post on your guild recruitment forum and you'll see. Honesty is key.

Everyone starts on square 1 when BFA raiding starts. You might not have previous experience, but you will be fine.
    You can absolutely get into raiding whenever you want. But, the beginning of an expansion is the best - for learning and getting in a grove with your team.

Medium difficulty = the brawler's guild
    high difficulty = the challenge artifact appearances from the mage tower

As far as gearing remember you can queue to join normal, heroic, and even mythic raids right now manually using the group finder. That's what helped me get my feet wet with raiding and thought "hey, I'd like to do this regularly so I can gear up for that challenge appearance! I think I'll join a guild!"

No one is going to go from no experience straight into mythic raiding unless they just happen to know someone that carries them along for the ride. But, there's no reason whatsoever someone can't dip into normal raiding and move on into heroic. Beginning of an expansion is the best time to do it. Everyone is recruiting, and everyone is freshly leveled on the same playing field of dungeon gear.

Pretty much the title. If your goals in WoW previously never leaned toward high end raiding and you have regrets now, there's no hope to do anything this late into the game's lifespan is there?

I'm not even going to bring up PvP, but what else is there if anything competitive or rewarding now for someone who's been around since BC but MIA for WoD and Legion?
    You're fucked. Wait for the new expansion to hit before you even try, the playerbase is more forgiving of lack of past achievements at this point, and only this point, because of the general understanding that a lot of people return to the game at this time.

Yeah you can, but it does take a bit of effort. Your best shot at good raiding content is to join a guild.

Now, since you don't have any history to go through you need to make some. Nobody needs to prove that they used to be a good player in the past. In fact it really doesn't matter if you raided in previous expansions. Guilds will only care if you're a good player right now.

Pug for a week or two and record your own logs. If your parses are bad check guides and practice until you get decent parses. Elitist will tell you that Normal and Heroic parses are meaningless, but they're not. You can't tell a good player from a great player with Heroic logs, but you can tell apart a decent player from a total noob. You need to become a decent player by your own merit before applying to guilds. I don't know what your current skill level is.

I don't know if guilds typically ask for item level, but don't try to join a hardcore mythic guild if you're wearing 900s. Your "I want to raid" claim won't sound credible if your gear is complete trash.

Showing good performance is necessary to get into a decent guild, but what you need to stay in a good guild is reliability. Being present at raiding time all the time is extremely important. Good players get kicked all the time for not showing up. So only request to join guilds that have schedules that work really well for you. My guild has had recruits that say "I'm going to be late" or "I can't go this week" when they're still in trial period. That's an instant kick from our guild, and I imagine most decent guilds would do the same.
    Last edited by Khallid; 2018-06-05 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I know people that resubbed a month ago and they are already 6/11 mythic.. I don't know what to tell you?

How serious are we talkin? People on mmo-c.com talk about serious and they are clearing LFR

If you've never done high end raiding, you won't even have the skill level to do it before BfA drops. So you screwed yourself over in that regard by waiting until the last minute to try and jump in.

That being said, you can definitely do raiding at a guild level at this point. Try finding a guild that is starting to raid instead of one that is already established and running Mythic. That will more fit your skill level anyways.

Everyone has to do this.... You find a semi-casual guild that does normals (!!!!save your logs!!!!) then move up to a semi-hardcore and stay there for awhile(((I say stay for awhile because people dont like guild hoppers.. its a red flag to most guilds))). After you have been there for awhile, then you can start to app for the Hardcore guilds.(!!!!save your logs!!!!) Youll have a easier time on a low pop server because they will be desperate for bodies. You might have to server transfer. Honestly, I've been in a top server guild/hardcore.. It's alot of work and most everyone is a POS elitist. There is a nice high from getting a server first but every server first after that is down hill and then it becomes a balance of high v dealing with shit heads. In the end, I've found myself more happy with just staying in a semi-hardcore. you're still getting bosses down in a more relaxed environment. Sure there are times when I'm pissed off about progress but overall.. i know It's best i stay where I am at for my sanity and well-being.

10+ Year Old Account

Well yes, if you want to move from "I've never raided" to a mythic guild you're going to have issues. SO...start raiding. Find a guild that does normal and heroic. Get into their runs. No, it's not mythic but you're not ready for that anyway (no, I don't care how good you think you are, you're not ready). Spend a tier or even an expansion clearing heroic with them. Figure out if you really want more challenge or if raiding heroic scratches your raiding itch. At this point, if you do want more, you have some history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Everyone starts on square 1 when BFA raiding starts. You might not have previous experience, but you will be fine.
    You can absolutely get into raiding whenever you want. But, the beginning of an expansion is the best - for learning and getting in a grove with your team.
    This would pretty much be my answer. Every new expansion is pretty much an open door to new and aspiring raiders. The longer a given expansion goes on the higher and higher the barrier to entry becomes until, eventually, you're left out in the proverbial cold. Just wait until the launch of BfA and you'll likely have no issues finding a high-end raiding guild that will take you on - especially if you devote yourself to gearing up and applying as early as feasible for you.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    This would pretty much be my answer. Every new expansion is pretty much an open door to new and aspiring raiders. The longer a given expansion goes on the higher and higher the barrier to entry becomes until, eventually, you're left out in the proverbial cold. Just wait until the launch of BfA and you'll likely have no issues finding a high-end raiding guild that will take you on - especially if you devote yourself to gearing up and applying as early as feasible for you.
    In the past I took a 2.5 year break, applied for a random <500 guild for a new expac coming out. 6 weeks in had good parses, and joined a <10 US guild.

If people want to get into raiding, join a HC / low mythic guild, get some good parses that show you're capable of raiding with a better guild, and apply elsewhere. Slowly move up until you're happy with your time commitment : progress.