Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"It's ALL in the gear."

OK, I do not PvP. In 9 years I might have spent 20 hours doing PvP. ( actually, I did fight at Hillsbrad when PvP was much cooler )

Yesterday I was in Ironforge and in came a Tauren hunter. He walked right into the AH and killed all the vendors. People came from everywhere to attempt to kill this guy. There must have been 20 people trying to kill him. Sure, most of them were not 90's, but at least 4 of them were, and maybe a lot more than 4.

This hunter NEVER dropped below about 95% health. I was impressed, so I relayed that to my guild members, and there was one guy on who I know does PvP, but his main focus is PvE. I bet he is an 80 / 20 split.

He was NOT impressed. His reply was "With PvP, it's ALL in the gear." I could not do anything but agree since I don't know any better.

So, I ask, is it really all in the gear?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, its 60/40, 60% being skill, even if you`re geared you still need some skill to get anywhere.

Pvp gear or not, if this guy didnt drop below 95% with 4 90s + others attacking him, he was hacking

Deleted
    It depends on your class really, in a Hunters case it's probably about 20% gear, 80% skill. The weapon makes a huge difference but it's like that with everyone. As a Hunter you can kite indefinitely versus most melee whereas say a Warrior with crap gear, you basically have nearly no chance of beating a well geared Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    It depends on your class really, in a Hunters case it's probably about 20% gear, 80% skill. The weapon makes a huge difference but it's like that with everyone. As a Hunter you can kite indefinitely versus most melee whereas say a Warrior with crap gear, you basically have nearly no chance of beating a well geared Hunter.
    Calling someone that can click hunter buttons skilled is a bit of a stretch. This is the training wheel class of wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wxcopy View Post
    Calling someone that can click hunter buttons skilled is a bit of a stretch. This is the training wheel class of wow.
    I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but if you truly think that then why aren't you a Hunter?

Deleted
    It's been a while since I played a hunter and from what I recall there weren't that many self heals (playing with a spirit pet heals as I recall).

So was the troll getting self healed or just not taking any damage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I can't speak directly to PvP as I no longer do much of it aside from the occasional non-rated BG - but I would certainly say it's not *all* in the gear. There a tenuous balance to be had between gear and skill for any class/role. Overwhelming gear can mask a level of inadequate skill, as someone with a tier or two higher gear is obviously going to shine well and above anyone else so long as they know most of what they're doing. The same is true for excellent skill in sub-par gear, a person can do amazing things with lower gear if they know their class inside and out.

This particular case? I'm inclined to agree that this person was either making use of dubious outside help (e.g. hacking or cheating somehow), or you've indulged in a bit of hyperbole. Fully epic'd out Conquest PvP'ers are certainly hard to kill, but no one class in WoW can act as a bulwark against an army of 20+ equal level players no matter their relative gear.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    So was the troll getting self healed or just not taking any damage?
    The latter probably. Basically, if you run a pure DPS class in PvP and start taking damage, you've either messed up def CDs and / or CC or didn't put out enough damage. Which is all being referred to as "skill" if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-05-14 at 03:36 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    The trick is likely a hidden healer. open world has no reduced healing unlike arena/rbg which means healing is op compared to dps.
    One healer can keep you up easily against 5-6 people if noone interupts him.

Yes, pvp is almost entirely about gear. That is, until you're roughly at even gear levels.

I play A LOT of alts, so I have been undergeared in pvp since just about the beginning of WoW. But, even having said that, I've been in some non-rated bgs lately, with toons of around 500+ item level, and I can tell you that some classes I literally cannot hurt. There have been some classes that have basically ignored me while I was attacking them, and I still could not even get their health to budge. And healers? They're even worse. A pvp-geared will just laugh at me most times.

Undergeared, you're barely a speed bump unless you're healing. You're barely a nuisance, nevermind significant.

Was he still hitting people while he wasn't taking damage? Could've been using the immunity item from Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by wxcopy View Post
    Calling something "training wheels" when you are a clicker is a bit ironic, don't you think?

Deleted
    This is an mmo ofc it's all in the gear. There is no skill in this game and anyone saying that there is, are just fooling themselves to feel better. Give me best pvp gear on any character, 2 days of practice and theorycrafting and I will be rank 1 with that character the upcoming season. No actual skill needed. Pve is the same. Get a guy from method on a hunter with 540 ilvl and a 5 year old on a 580 ilvl. Just tell the 5 year old to spam click 3 buttons and move when a LOUD SOUND plays from the speakers.
    If you want something similar to skill you are in a wrong genre. Try starcraft, lol, cs or dota.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    This is an mmo ofc it's all in the gear. There is no skill in this game and anyone saying that there is, are just fooling themselves to feel better. Give me best pvp gear on any character, 2 days of practice and theorycrafting and I will be rank 1 with that character the upcoming season. No actual skill needed. Pve is the same. Get a guy from method on a hunter with 540 ilvl and a 5 year old on a 580 ilvl. Just tell the 5 year old to spam click 3 buttons and move when a LOUD SOUND plays from the speakers.
    If you want something similar to skill you are in a wrong genre. Try starcraft, lol, cs or dota.
    0/10, unless you are serious. In that case you are just completely delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    The trick is likely a hidden healer. open world has no reduced healing unlike arena/rbg which means healing is op compared to dps.
    Battle fatigue works everywhere a player can dmg you in pvp. The only time it will not work is when you are in the same party.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    Give me best pvp gear on any character, 2 days of practice and theorycrafting and I will be rank 1 with that character the upcoming season.
    Supposing this tripe was true, then the skill surely is getting to that gear level? Defeating stronger opponents and claiming great victories at a disadvantage? If a game has levels of gear, there has to be a way to improve your gear, and that must hinge on skill.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Not at all i returned yesterday after not playing for 3 whole seasons, yes 3.
    Went 21-0 in 2's with a friend and easily held my own, out played, out cc'd almost every team we came up against.
    Got left 1v1 a few times against people full conq geared and came out on top, went from ~ilvl 470 to ilvl 530 in one night.

I've PVP'd thoroughly for years across many characters. I have to unfortunately say that gear is more important than skill, depending on the gear disparity. A fresh quest player no matter how skilled won't beat a an average player in full pvp gear. Pvp does start to really end up being about skill until the very very high end when everyone is fully equipped with equal gear.

Can a skilled player overcome a ~10 iLevel gear difference? I think so, I've seen it done.

I personally preferred the GW2 pvp stat equalizer system. Felt much more competitive with fewer excuses. I think WoW could benefit greatly from a system like this with cosmetic armor, titles, mounts and even mats/gold rewards instead of a stat gear ladder.

Stat gear makes sense in PVE. It's fun to overpower something. AI's gameplay experience won't be ruined by it being defeated by an opponent that outgears it. A new fresh pvp player will.

As a person who loves PVP, I much rather the noobs come in on equal footing and get crushed knowing experience and skill were the factors and not gear. I know a lot of players who just have a lot if time on their hands and grind gear out and will demolish a much more skilled person with 50/50 pve pvp gear. I think that's a system that rewards the wrong players for a competitive space.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knough View Post
    Supposing this tripe was true, then the skill surely is getting to that gear level? Defeating stronger opponents and claiming great victories at a disadvantage? If a game has levels of gear, there has to be a way to improve your gear, and that must hinge on skill.
    Unfortunately gear acquisition in this game is solely based on how much time you have on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Nope, its 60/40, 60% being skill, even if you`re geared you still need some skill to get anywhere.
    How did you come to obtain these numbers?