Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    How did you come to obtain these numbers?
    90% of stats are made up on the spot.

Gear means more in WoW than other PvP games (such as GW2). Not to say that you should discount skill... but I always see PvP come down to

1. Gear
    2. Comp
    3. Skill
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Skill still matters a lot. Most people you see in bgs isn't even doing 40% of the damage they should be able to with their gear, nor using their defensive CDs properly.

But yeah. Gear does make you able to survive more mistakes/kill opponents faster. The people trying to kill that hunter, sucked though. Hunters can kite just fine, but to kite an army of people means they're doing it wrong.

This seems to show more with healers. The very low amount of healing done. The resto druid i tend to go with is usually doing 2-4 times more healing than the nearest other healer. Has been more than that too, obviously. It's a bit silly :P
    Last edited by Terridon; 2014-05-14 at 06:12 PM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Juesh View Post
    just like this one
    Hence the joke.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Quote Originally Posted by Juesh View Post
    hunters have shitty self healing. Calling Bullshit.
    Well, I don't know....as others have said there may have been a hidden healer. All I know was that I was seriously impressed. I have a 90 hunter, and I know that self healing isn't great. It was cool to watch.... and that was all I did was watch. No reason to rack up gear repair bills when I know I will die.... I would have jumped in if we were on a PvP server, though.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

maybe the people hitting him didn't have pvp gear

not having pvp gear unless you're in heroic PVE gear you will do very minimal damage to other players

Deleted
    World pvp right now is screwed.

From my own testing in duels battle fatigue seems to rarely if ever get applied and DPS can practically heal like gods.

I would also say those who fought him had to have been seriously undergeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those who fought him were for sure undergeared. Four (relatively good geared) dps nuking a single guy should always result in a swift death.

As for the gear/skill, it depends. The current state of WoW allows the geared PvE player to nuke down anyone who is PvP geared in world PvP.
    In the arena things are a lot different. I am currently healing on 2k rating in 3s, and everyone is outgearing me by 12 item levels.
    Whenever I lose a game, i lost it cos of some bad calls from me or my teammates. I never felt it was the gear that was holding me down.

Bottom line is, if you play 3vs3 the gear will affect your gameplay/rating, but if you have the skill it won't matter that much - unless you're trying to play in blue gear. :P

First, it's clear the Hunter was very well geared, either full Conquest or Heroic gear. This gives him a huge advantage, since he has more health, damage and armor. He probably was also using Spirit Bond talent, thus regenerating constantly 3% of his life every 2 seconds.

Second, probably the guys who fought him were either undergeared or unskilled in PvP (or both). They probably tried to just damage him, instead of CC'ing and trying to keep him contained. The hunter was probably moving away from harm constantly while CC'ing people so there was less attackers against him at once.

I'm leaning towards the hunter having both skill and gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Can a skilled player overcome a ~10 iLevel gear difference? I think so, I've seen it done.
    Any class/spec can overcome ~10 ilevels with skill, easily. The really good players can overcome much much more. Some classes/specs are more unforgiving to gear difference too. I've done couple 2s matches on low mmr with my just boosted (but experienced) resto druid buddy. We went 11-2 with him in starter greens. Neither one of us ever had 2k+ personal rating.
    Last edited by mmoc0b587272a8; 2014-05-15 at 12:59 PM.

Gear is basically meaningless in PvP because, at higher ratings, everyone has full or almost full conquest gear anyway. Especially later during a season. Therefore, in higher ratings, it's all about skill/comp/teamwork.

As for world pvp/lower ratings/random BGs, gear makes a big difference, but really who cares?

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    pvp skill > pve skill
    infact pvp players > pve players
    ... NOW KISS

Clicking in PVP is just baaaad. Not an insult, just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Nope, its 60/40, 60% being skill, even if you`re geared you still need some skill to get anywhere.
    I'd say it's more 40/30/30

30% gear
    30% skill
    40% being the right class/comp
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    In MoP, yes. Skill is not a huge factor except if you play classes which require much skill.

If skill wasn't a factor you wouldn't have better players than others, it's silly to even debate.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Not at all.

But world PVP is not even remotely balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If someone has greens as a lvl 90 with no pvp stats and hits a 540+ ilvl fully PvP geared toon, let me tell you it's like hitting them with a ear bud. Although not going below 95%? Probably just an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    This is an mmo ofc it's all in the gear. There is no skill in this game and anyone saying that there is, are just fooling themselves to feel better. Give me best pvp gear on any character, 2 days of practice and theorycrafting and I will be rank 1 with that character the upcoming season. No actual skill needed. Pve is the same. Get a guy from method on a hunter with 540 ilvl and a 5 year old on a 580 ilvl. Just tell the 5 year old to spam click 3 buttons and move when a LOUD SOUND plays from the speakers.
    If you want something similar to skill you are in a wrong genre. Try starcraft, lol, cs or dota.
    Either this guy is a troll or he knows absolutely nothing about PvP.

If you're in a situation of full epic 540 + vs greens then the 540 player will likely kill the green player within 2-3 seconds, as the damage difference can be in the region of 2-5x higher, or much more with a larger gear difference, and any number of those little green geared heros will die equally fast even if they all attack together. Obviously when there are massive differences in gear then skill makes no difference in the majority of cases.

A hunter can kite a melee and win despite gear though, and that is especially true at lower levels. At level 70 a leveling geared Hunter with greens can infinitely kite and thus beat a full Brutal Gladiator geared Warrior. The reason being that the hunter can permanently stay out of range of charge, while being able to keep a slow and steady stream of damage on the player. But that situation is somewhat balanced out with Heroic Leap, thus why Blizzard won't balance low level PvP.

Without knowing the gear on the player doing the ownage, and the players getting owned then it really doesn't make much difference how you look at the skill between players. It's like comparig racing car drivers, they can only drive to the limits of the car they are in, regardless of their skill/talent... Their skill doesn't make the engine more powerful.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-05-16 at 02:08 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I've seen a rogue beat people in current gear with thunderfury and a warglaive granted he was a r1 rogue vsing casuels.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin View Post
    This is an mmo ofc it's all in the gear. There is no skill in this game and anyone saying that there is, are just fooling themselves to feel better. Give me best pvp gear on any character, 2 days of practice and theorycrafting and I will be rank 1 with that character the upcoming season. No actual skill needed. Pve is the same. Get a guy from method on a hunter with 540 ilvl and a 5 year old on a 580 ilvl. Just tell the 5 year old to spam click 3 buttons and move when a LOUD SOUND plays from the speakers.
    If you want something similar to skill you are in a wrong genre. Try starcraft, lol, cs or dota.
    If u have no idea, why in the world of fck are u spewing this nonsense? I rly hope you're trolling.

- - - Updated - - -

As a medium-high rated player throughout my wow life i can say that gear MAY matter but only during the beginning of a season and a few months to come. I've played 2.4+ RBGs in both Cata and MoP. In cata you needed HC gear definetly so back then PvE>PvP in RBG. But now everyone can get PvP gear pretty fast. If you look on your conquest points bar you have over 12k that u can complete in a day. Why rbg as an example? Because gear goes well with bg fights in terms of healing/damage/protection.

And the answer is SKILL>GEAR by a longshot. Right now there are people at 2.7k and people at 1.5k and believe me all have full gear at this point in the season.