10+ Year Old Account

Terrible, Terrible Installation Problems! HALP!

SO my brother convinced me to check out this game. I downloaded the launcher, and as the client downloaded, I noticed my computer froze a couple times -no error codes or anything- so I rebooted a couple times until it finished. This is where it got worse. Once I made it to the "playable" part of the download, I hit play and got the black screen of death -again no error codes. I figured I'd wait until it finished downloading, but now the launcher is freezing my computer at random intervals of about 3 minutes after I open it. I did a complete uninstall/delete, retried and now it's still hanging my system until I reboot.

How is this possible? I have all the latest drivers/updates, good hardware specs. There is nothing wrong with my computer, I even played some other games, and left other programs open for hours after all of this, and have not experienced one freeze-up. I open the launcher again, and it freezes my computer almost immediately. I am running Windows 7 in Administrator mode (as I always do). ZERO problems with other programs/games. What can I do to fix this?

Something clearly glitched during one of your hang-ups from download to installation

If you can get the game to run the launcher something is working right. You could try the "FixLauncher" located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\FixLauncher

That is the repair tool if you can get to that once you have it installed.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have uninstalled everything and start fresh.

Go to:C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\

and delete everything there. Make sure there are no leftover files that might be corrupted. Thats all I got off the top of my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Something clearly glitched during one of your hang-ups from download to installation

If you can get the game to run the launcher something is working right. You could try the "FixLauncher" located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\FixLauncher

That is the repair tool if you can get to that once you have it installed.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have uninstalled everything and start fresh.

Go to:C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\

and delete everything there. Make sure there are no leftover files that might be corrupted. Thats all I got off the top of my head.
    Update: I never could get the game to run. The computer crashes to the black screen of death before the client loads when I run it normally. When I run it in compatibility mode (as Windows 7 suggests) then it simply doesn't even start. I did manage to finish the entire download in the launcher though. But it didn't change anything. I looked for the launcher fixer. It isn't on my harddrive anywhere. The only thing close is launcher-diagnostic, but when I run it, it claims there aren't any problems.

Keep in mind that I have already started over completely with a total redownload/reinstall. I hate to say it, but it seems like it's too bugged to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I tried changing the client settings under the Users folder, but I can't alter them because the file doesn't get created until the game runs the first time, and from what I've read, using a copied version does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Update: I never could get the game to run. The computer crashes to the black screen of death before the client loads when I run it normally. When I run it in compatibility mode (as Windows 7 suggests) then it simply doesn't even start. I did manage to finish the entire download in the launcher though. But it didn't change anything. I looked for the launcher fixer. It isn't on my harddrive anywhere. The only thing close is launcher-diagnostic, but when I run it, it claims there aren't any problems.

Keep in mind that I have already started over completely with a total redownload/reinstall. I hate to say it, but it seems like it's too bugged to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I tried changing the client settings under the Users folder, but I can't alter them because the file doesn't get created until the game runs the first time, and from what I've read, using a copied version does not work.
    IT could be the game, there is no doubt about that but I have never heard of someone having the problems as you have.

Something happened during this part of your download and or install.

I noticed my computer froze a couple times -no error codes or anything- so I rebooted a couple times until it finished.
    To me that alone says something happened on the back-end of the download. Something is corrupted and screwing up the launcher. Whatever your PC did that caused it to need multiple resets, it screwed up something.

There is a launcherDiag but there should also be a Fixlauncher in the game files. I know you said the diagnostic didn't show anything but without the fixlauncher there, it makes me think something is no longer loading for you or your not getting all the files.

For me the fixlauncher was here:

Same place as launcherDiag

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else. It could have screwed up your graphics driver in the load but that would be a long shot to actually happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    IT could be the game, there is no doubt about that but I have never heard of someone having the problems as you have.

Something happened during this part of your download and or install.

To me that alone says something happened on the back-end of the download. Something is corrupted and screwing up the launcher. Whatever your PC did that caused it to need multiple resets, it screwed up something.

There is a launcherDiag but there should also be a Fixlauncher in the game files. I know you said the diagnostic didn't show anything but without the fixlauncher there, it makes me think something is no longer loading for you or your not getting all the files.

For me the fixlauncher was here:

Same place as launcherDiag

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else. It could have screwed up your graphics driver in the load but that would be a long shot to actually happen.
    I recently tried it after using the launcher fix. And then I tried it after replacing the launcher altogether. And then I tried it after running repair on the game installation. I've already done a complete reinstall a couple times, so probably not going to try that again. Still no luck. The only thing I can think of is something in the operating system might be corrupted, but I also updated the drivers and did a system repair on windows that didn't find anything. I still get the black screen of death when I hit the "play" button. No logs or anything. I also have to run system restore to get my video back after I try running it every time.

I recently tried it after using the launcher fix. And then I tried it after replacing the launcher altogether. And then I tried it after running repair on the game installation. I've already done a complete reinstall a couple times, so probably not going to try that again. Still no luck. The only thing I can think of is something in the operating system might be corrupted, but I also updated the drivers and did a system repair on windows that didn't find anything. I still get the black screen of death when I hit the "play" button. No logs or anything. I also have to run system restore to get my video back after I try running it every time.
    Man, you got some major incompatibility going on in there somewhere. Needing to use a system restore is just nuts.

Not sure what direction you need to go with that now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, you got some major incompatibility going on in there somewhere. Needing to use a system restore is just nuts.

Not sure what direction you need to go with that now.
    Yeah, I'm not sure it's worth attempting at this point, given the risk. I'll just have to wait to try it on another computer maybe.

Thanks for trying.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's worth attempting at this point, given the risk. I'll just have to wait to try it on another computer maybe.

Thanks for trying.
    If you know someone with a working install you could try a direct copy of the games files. That way you know you have a good copy. If you still have trouble you know it's a driver, system incompatibility issues and not swtor. You might could rule something out.

I've done that on a few computers instead of spending all that time on a download.

Copy it over, launch it. Saves a lot of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you know someone with a working install you could try a direct copy of the games files. That way you know you have a good copy. If you still have trouble you know it's a driver, system incompatibility issues and not swtor. You might could rule something out.

I've done that on a few computers instead of spending all that time on a download.

Copy it over, launch it. Saves a lot of time.
    I got it to work and it runs great. It was two problems disguised as one. First off, the vga adapter i'm using was crashing the video, hence the black screen. Second, the install file was still corrupted, but I figured out a shortcut to fix it. So I ran it on an older standard resolution monitor, and the error report displayed before the computer crashed. I then deleted the "BitRaider" folder to force the launcher to fix itself and the installation upon running it. The updater is still hanging after the last patch, but the game runs great otherwise. Now I just need to get my brother to show up. xD

Off topic: Already played several lvls, and it's a much better value than the other crap MMOC features.

PLus I was in a car accident, so it helps that I can play it with one hand, as I can't use my left atm.
    Last edited by Callace; 2014-05-20 at 07:38 PM.

I got it to work and it runs great. It was two problems disguised as one. First off, the vga adapter i'm using was crashing the video, hence the black screen. Second, the install file was still corrupted, but I figured out a shortcut to fix it. So I ran it on an older standard resolution monitor, and the error report displayed before the computer crashed. I then deleted the "BitRaider" folder to force the launcher to fix itself and the installation upon running it. The updater is still hanging after the last patch, but the game runs great otherwise. Now I just need to get my brother to show up. xD
    Awesome. I knew all your problems was a bit strange for it to just be a swtor software problem.

Off topic: Already played several lvls, and it's a much better value than the other crap MMOC features.
    agreed. There is a lot of value in swtor for free. It gets even better if your a sub of course but I know you don't have to be.

PLus I was in a car accident, so it helps that I can play it with one hand, as I can't use my left atm.
    Now that kinda sucks. Hope thats a quick recovery.