View Poll Results: Are you attracted to your main?

Voters
650. This poll is closed
  • Yes

155 23.85%
  • No

495 76.15%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirohibiki View Post
    Only on MMOChamp will you find people so putridly judgmental and in denial. Incredible.
    I agree and quite disappointed. So many people are implying a prejudice to those who would vote yes, which is so backwards and uneducated it's stifling how confident they can be.

We've made such great humanitarian leaps from the 19th century, I sometimes forget how much more this is to go.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2014-05-24 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the posts so far, I assume the OP is talking about sexual attraction.

In that case, no. My toons are all male, I am male, and I'm straight.

In fact, I don't believe I've ever found a character I designed for an RPG sexually attractive. Even the female ones. Maybe because I view them as some kind of extension of my personality, rather than a separate entity. Or maybe because I have a fun-killing wall in my brain between pixels and flesh. Regardless, it's just never come up, pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    I'd bang my fem orc dk :P
    lol....10 points for honesty!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    From the posts so far, I assume the OP is talking about sexual attraction.
    Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Oh come on!

You don't have to find the character physically attractive. One other talked about being attracted to their character's perceived personality!

The question can go many different ways.
    This is from the first page.

What's strange to me is how the vast... VAST majority immediately thought "sex" as opposed to platonic attraction.

Although, then again, why should it be strange? The vast majority is hard-wired for sex, that's for sure. So I guess it makes complete sense.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2014-05-24 at 06:11 AM.

I don't think you get it. And you clearly didn't look up what I asked you to.

Calling Solipsism (look it up), a well regarded and entry level philosophical study, "quasi philosophical BS" and my "conjecture" makes you look... well... uneducated would be a nicer term.

Talking about real issues is not a "defense mechanism." I am trying to educate a prejudice against something that, in fact, every single person on Earth does. This is not a pseudo-science. We all can be attracted to what is not "real" say: an image of a beautiful man/woman.

And really, this is just a huge, narrow minded, mistake for the connotation of "attraction." Really, you and many others are mistaking attraction to: sexual attraction .

It is perfectly understandable that you might infer this from the context of my question. But this does not give the right to imply this is my question.

I will try to prove your guilt, as you have ask, by using the transitive property where I can.

1. You used an emoticon:
    2. This infers you can, in fact, have pixels represent a human form.
    3. You have stated you are attracted to the human form, as represented by "real" humans, but all the same bouncing light hitting your retinas, signaling your brain.
    4. If I were to create a "character model" whose "pixels" are so fine you could not see them individually, hook up, say a futuristic Oculus (that might completely "trick" your precious eyes) to your face and present you with a fictitious, albeit incredibly "lifelike," 3d model of a woman/man (whatever your into) whose characteristics you are most attracted to....
    5. Then by the transitive property: you can be attracted to a character.

That is: You have made it apparent you can anthropomorphize pixels as representations to humans --> you are attracted to humans --> futuristic pixel created lifelife human model is subjected to your eyes in a vital space just as lifelife, surrounding your vision to give no "cues" to think anything is fake --> you are attracted to models.

Now this is character preservation. You attacked my character (no not my WoW character, in this instance of the word I am talking about my "mental and moral qualities attributed to myself", just so you don't jump the gun), so I felt it necessary to reply, as it seemed you might be educated in the matter, and hopefully learn.

Now I've thoroughly countered every point you have made. If you think I'm so ill-informed, please prove me wrong. This is how science triumphs over "conjecture." Do you see the irony?
    Dude, you're trying too hard. Just let it go. You can't seem to separate beauty or symmetry and attraction. I might find a painting beautiful, or even a character model. But it doesn't mean I am attracted to same.

Perhaps to you attraction is solely based on the physical form. For some of us it needs to be a bit deeper than that.

initial reaction: dafuq??????????

and then i laughed. we're getting down to the real nitty gritty here on mmoc aren't we?

oh and no. i'm attracted to, y'know, real people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    Dude, you're trying too hard. Just let it go. You can't seem to separate beauty or symmetry and attraction. I might find a painting beautiful, or even a character model. But it doesn't mean I am attracted to same.

Perhaps to you attraction is solely based on the physical form. For some of us it needs to be a bit deeper than that.
    Why do you make it too easy for me?

I can't separate beauty from attraction... because they are a part of each other.

Beauty: "Combination of qualities... that pleases the aesthetic sense"
    Attraction: "The action or power of evoking interest, pleasure"

If you find something beautiful, you are attracted to it... These are just words, they work like math: things add up, if they don't add up correctly something wrong with the initial conditions.

You seem to be presenting your own self-defined connotation to "attraction" that is not present to the literal meaning of the word. Please refrain from using such personal connotations.

"perhaps to you attraction is" --- this, just no. Words are impersonal, and need to stay this way so to not have this exact problem.

Deleted
    Simple Question:

Are you attracted to your main character?
    And if you desire to respond to also: Was this a part of your reasonings for their look?

I'll go first:

I do find my main quite attractive, and yes it was a factor for the creation.
    You mean sexually attractive? Nope, I happen to be a straight guy playing a male human paladin. (To some wannabe-psychiatrist dipshit that's probably a sign of some monstrous sexual insecurity.) But could say that I am somewhat attracted to the class and what it represents: knights, chivalry and justice! Even though I shamefully often tend to skip the "chivalry" part when dealing with people who don't deserve it... :P

My main is also my first character; in the character creation I at first searched for face options that would look a little bit like myself -- to better identify with it -- but soon found out that there were none, so I just thought "...the heck with it!" and covered the worst with a beard. (I grew a beard afterwards, but it has nothing to do with WoW - just wanted to see how it would turn out.)

Edit: Woohoo, got rid of that idiotic "pandaren monk" title!
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-05-24 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Edit: Woohoo, got rid of that idiotic "pandaren monk" title!
    Congratulations!

Why do you make it too easy for me?

I can't separate beauty from attraction... because they are a part of each other.

Beauty: "Combination of qualities... that pleases the aesthetic sense"
    Attraction: "The action or power of evoking interest, pleasure"

If you find something beautiful, you are attracted to it... These are just words, they work like math: things add up, if they don't add up correctly something wrong with the initial conditions.

You seem to be presenting your own self-defined connotation to "attraction" that is not present to the literal meaning of the word. Please refrain from using such personal connotations.

"perhaps to you attraction is" --- this, just no. Words are impersonal, and need to stay this way so to not have this exact problem.
    "Simple Question:"

Well I guess simple question is code for let's delve into a in depth scientific and philosophical discussion on how humans perceive beauty and attraction in a digital world and the ability to separate reality from perception.

I guess.