Poll: If someone gave you 100k gold in-game by accident, what would you do?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd send it back. Don't need or care for gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

I find it really hard to read responses of dickheads who wouldn't give money back immediately.

On the other side is a living person, who maybe has a hard time IRL, or doesn't have many friends so WoW is pretty much everything to him. Keep in mind that 100k is a huge amount of money for majority of the players. He accidentally clicked the wrong button and you're like - LOL his loss, my gain. Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, I'm poor as fuck in WoW. But I'd still hesitantly give it back, because (even though I don't have much faith it'd happen) if I made the same mistake, I'd hope someone else would do the same for me. 100k is a lot to me - I play Horde on one server (main) and Alliance on another, and I'd still wager I have less than 20k gold combined. I'm generally fine with that, because while there are things that I want that cost significantly more than that, I'm not really willing to put in the effort to save up for them. Almost all the gold I earn is earned passively, through questing, LFR, etc. I pass on a lot of opportunities to make gold, too - I could have sold a spare Sealed Tome of the Lost Legion that I had sitting in my bank, but I just gave it away to someone who was super-excited by the fact I had green fire. The chance to brighten someone else's day in-game is incalculably more valuable to me than gold.

That said, if the other player said to keep it, I'd be chuffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    I would keep it. You can't really give someone 100k by accident.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really sure how you can accidentally give someone all that gold, but hypothetically...

If they asked for it back, I'd give it back. My integrity is worth a lot more than 100k gold.

Now if it just got randomly mailed to me and no one ever said anything, I'd just assume it was a random gold fairy and probably shrug and keep it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on who gave it.
    Friend- troll it whole day, then give back. Someone random - wut gold? -> make +50k on AH, then hm, buy challenge mode boost on alt? yeah, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokat View Post
    You can. The guild list populates instantly in some UIs, people have crazy characters in their names, I'm sure it can happen.

I'd give it back instantly. I don't want anything anyone has so badly that I'm willing to compromise my morals, even in a situation that has relatively zero real life consequence. You're the product of what you do in the dark with no one looking, not what you do in the light where all can applaud.

Take 10k then mail 90k back. I always keep 10% of what someone misplaces as compensation, unless they desperately need the money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokat View Post
    I put gold cap on trade for random people in capital cities then afk while they beg me to hit trade

If they said something and knew about it I would probably give it back. If they just left like it was no big deal and had no idea it was an accident would probably just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzelbar View Post
    Nice to see how many lawful-aligned people are around. WTF
    I obey the law. I would keep the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Got morals, I'd give it back.
    I would keep it because I have morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    The amount of pricks in this thread is too damn high.

I mean imagine the guy, was farming his ass off to get that gold, so he can buy some cool mount or other vanity item..Jeez.

If you got it from chineese farmer, keep it all.

He cannot get it back if he ticket a GM.
    I once send around 50k to the wrong char, made a ticket, fortunatly enough GM responded fast, so the other guy havent opened his email, if he claimed the gold from the mail my 50k was as good as gone.
    With great power comes great responsibility. Double-checking mail recipient's name shows that you care about the gold you have. Being careless shows that you don't care much about your gold. It's a life lesson.

---

I was expecting more people to say they would keep it because they hate the rich and there's too much gold inequality in the world... of warcraft. Reading the off-topic forums led me to believe just as much...

Deleted
    It already happened back in TBC. I gave it back.

If it's somebody I know, or are likely to play with I'd give it back (on my server this is actually likely, its so dead atm).

Some random, I'd keep it, but I'd be happy to give it back if the guy requested. I'd probably hold onto to it for a couple of months to be sure. I think that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahkesis View Post
    You can. The guild list populates instantly in some UIs, people have crazy characters in their names, I'm sure it can happen.

I'd give it back instantly. I don't want anything anyone has so badly that I'm willing to compromise my morals, even in a situation that has relatively zero real life consequence. You're the product of what you do in the dark with no one looking, not what you do in the light where all can applaud.
    *swoons*, that is beyond true.

I'd give it back. I just can't with money that isn't mine, even in a video game.

Depends what mood i was in. Normally return it. but if i was in a zero fucks given mood i'd probably keep it, ignore him and go about my business like nothing happened.

Most of the time however i'd just return it. If i put myself in his shoes its just not worth the stress / disappointment or whatever you call it of losing 100,000 gold. I also hate getting thanked 50x in a row like it was a big deal, so after returning it i'd probs put him on ignore as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the "Convenient disconnect" option? ;p

In all fairness, I'd probably give it all back after a pause, I'm too nice like that.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

Depends on circumstances. If it's an honest mistake where the person asks me nicely to return it, I will. If I get a douchebag-like "GIVE ME MY FUCKIN GOLD RIGHT NOW U BITCH" from the person, I might start having some "latency problems" instead. Or if it's some random gold service who sent gold to the wrong person, I'd probably keep it.

If I got it in the mail from some random person and heard nothing else about it for a while, I'd probably keep it. Maybe someone decided to quit the game and give his gold out to random people before doing so, and I was one of the lucky winners. Stuff like that does happen. I probably wouldn't question it if I just got 100k gold in the mail from a random person unless the random person said something about it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-05-20 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be like GOLD!!! GOLD!! MINE!!!, but then i will be like "but but... i can't keep it, is not mine, i'm sooooooo sorry *slowly rub a bag of gold* i'm will have to let you go, *Give it back* Please take care of them! *cry in a corner*"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolstorm View Post
    What would you do?
    I'd whisper back to him/her and ask about the gold. If it was accident, I'd send it all back.