Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Does it blend?

And no, I hope we never do.
    Why?

I am sure we will in future, we are slowly getting there.
    -K

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, first we'd have to prove that consciousness actually exists in the first place. If you were to make a 1:1 copy of a human, would it have its own, separate consciousness? What if the functions of the brain were emulated perfectly by electronics? Would there be a distinction?

Hard questions to answer. I don't doubt that we'll create an AI that can perform at human levels, we're already working on it and seeing some results (ANNs, Neuron-based computer chips, etc...). But it'll be a tough cookie to crack whether or not consciousness can even be created, much less proving that it even exists (or doesn't...)

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish we weren't stupid enough to do so, but I know we are stupid enough to try. I doubt we will achieve a true artificial consciousness. If we do, it’s all over unless we destroy it before it inevitably gets out of hand and then never make another.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Will mankind ever create a machine that is capable of reasoning?
    Yes, we can already do that. Wolfram alpha is a great example. It analyses a problem (input string), does pattern matching to find similar problems, bridges gaps of information, formalizes the problem, and forwards that problem to a specialized code path that is capable of answering it. That's a really impressive feat of engineering!

But however clever this website is, it's of course not intelligent. It's just feeding you answers from a database, by figuring out what your question really is. It's artificial intelligence. By which we mean it's not real intelligence. It's also certainly not learning by itself.

Will mankind ever create a machine that is capable of learning?
    Yes, we can already do that. Neural networks.

However, learning is again only a part of the puzzle to what makes up an intelligent being.
    While we have largely modeled a system that is capable of getting gradually better at doing whatever it does through feedback, it's a long distance between having such a machine, and using that build something that is capable of adapting intelligence. But it's certainly a very important building block.

Will mankind ever create a machine that is capable of thinking?
    By which it can reason, can learn, and can use this to generate meaningful ideas, hold a conversation, or at least understand what you are saying.
    In short, something that can pass the turing test. We have not gotten to this point yet.

The best kind of intelligence we have created is chat bots like the classic Eliza.
    http://nlp-addiction.com/eliza/
    It doesn't take an average human very long to discern that Eliza is not really a human. There is a competition going every year to create a better chat bot. Some of these are really really good.

At some point, humanity will create an artificial intelligence that passes the turing test. The question is then really whether it is artificial intelligence any longer. A bot like Eliza is obviously artificial. If it takes you a year to figure out that your conversation partner is an artificial intelligence, that's a pretty damned good machine. But if you can no longer tell in a lifetime, does it really matter if it is artificial?

If we break down the neural paths of a living organism and understanding them all, then reproducing them, simplified or not, into something that is capable of a similar feat as a living organism inside a constructed machine? Even if we have to model every subatomic particle in this neural path; we can do so eventually. At some point we have recreated an intelligent being. This will happen, though probably not in our lifetime. At this point, it's not really artificial intelligence anymore. It's real intelligence.

Now the question is... will we then have created something with a soul?

Will mankind ever create a machine that is capable of caring?
    Now that's the question isn't it?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

AI was invented at least 6 thousand years ago. Surprisingly, it hasn't improved much in that time.

When we do, one of the companies responsible for producing large-scale AI structures will inevitably decide that it's cheaper to leave out pesky things like ethical programming.

After that, it's only a matter of time.

Yes, eventually we will create AI.

The first forms might already exist and are completely foreign to us, similar to how dolphins might use language but our perceptions differ so greatly that we can not relate or comprehend their experience.

What most people think of as AI is strong, human-like artificial intelligence. I believe that is further off, but it will happen before 2050 barring any existential event.

However, the creation of strong, not-human-like AI is one of the greatest existential threats of the 21st century.

It is completely conceivable that before we create a human-like program, we'll create some expert efficiency system that is without the compassion, empathy and emotions that make us human. These programs would be more personally profitable and more easily achieved ventures than a human-like AI and are thus more likely to precede it.

What we're waiting on isn't the technology. The technology is already there.

We're waiting on someone to make that intuitive leap that transforms the computing world. We're waiting on the Einstein of computer learning.

Brute force techniques will get us there eventually, but some one will be born one day who can formulate intelligence into its most basic, irreducible form. It will be the simplest algorithm for intelligence possible.

It will be the egg from which consciousness grows; a looping computer algorithm that builds a soul.

That'll be a pretty big day.

We already have A.I's
    Right...wrong...The universe doesn't care
    Driefal,Etrith(Retired)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siphix View Post
    We already have A.I's
    It may be called AI, but it's really not.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    But the real question is, does this unit have a soul? Does a truly intelligent robot (having the same intellectual/emotional capabilities as a human) deserve the rights we afford other humans?
    And what makes you so sure that humans have a soul?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    We are currently creating "A.S" - artificial stupidity. A.K.A internet forums
    Thanks, good laugh

We've already got technology that makes decisions and choices for us. That's A.I., the only real think lacking is Emotion.

Deleted
    I don't see it happening, not for real at least. We can make an AI that is so real that we can't tell the difference, but an AI with a self-awareness is not something I expect to see ever.

True AI will be some way off I think , Not in my lifetime at least.

That being said , we live in a great time for technology and I can't wait to see what other advancements we can make , the most depressing thing I can think of is the human race reaching it's innovation peak and being unable to produce anything that will change everything up again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    So I just watched Her and it gave me a deep thought. Will man ever create an artificial consciousness or is it impossible. Anyone have any ideas?
    Don't worry, insect. SHODAN will reveal herself to us when she feels we can handle it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

All these people thinking moore's law goes on indefinitely

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    So I just watched Her and it gave me a deep thought. Will man ever create an artificial consciousness or is it impossible. Anyone have any ideas?
    Well you start by artificially creating a human(-physiological) brain.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Of course not. It will evolve into something more in the next few decades, via new nanotechnologies and materials.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Well if we can create advanced AI wouldn't that make us gods? But that's impossible because gods don't exist, right?

Deep enough?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    it does. Only transistors change into quantum pairs, and so on.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    i hope we do. but i don't think it'll ever happen. even if it did, it wouldn't be something for us to fear like many believe.

Most likely yes. There's so many groups working on it that it will inevitably happen.
    The one thing that might be a problem is that a brain is an awesome parallel processing computer, while a regular cumputer can barely parallell process anything.

The general concesus for A.I experts, programmers and philosophers is that we will create an A.G.I within 40 years, and an A.S.I shortly afterwards. A.G.I being Artificial General Intelligence, and A.S.I being Artifical Super Intelligence. An A.S.I is what's generally considered an A.I in movies ect. Being able to improve itself, a thousand times more intelligent than a human being and all that. I am convinced it will happen, and it will either be super awesome, or mega bad. Both options will be fantastically intersting. A.I is in many ways the next step in evolution imo.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau