Using All crit gear and 0 tier in AS spec.

So, just wondering by looking at sim craft sheets it shows cop with a 3.5% gain roughly using 4 pc, however I'm playing AS. My question is that now that I run , with extremely bad luck weekly trying to get the correct tier drops, how bad it would be /loss to use 0 tier and just maximize all crit gear in every slot. Example, I do have 4 pc tier, two really crappy pieces, and two heroic, the heroic pieces are the legs and hands, worst of them all. Using 4 pc, I only have 17.14 % crit non buffed or in a raid. If I equip all crit gear, ignorning any tier I have 20.76 . Due to the numbers posted in AS under HowtoPriest. It shows crit as equally important or really close to spell power.

P Stat weights (Best Two Per Fight (1 and 2 DoT) T17M, from here), for Shadow for 6.1.0, updated March 21, 2015):
    Int = 1.0000
    Spell Power = 0.8828
    Crit = 0.8980
    Haste = 0.7290

I'm assuming you should use 4 pc, but after testing in raiding the other night and trying 0 tier, I't didnt feel like I lost any dps at all, possibly even gained.

It's difficult to go by empirical evidence there because of RNG and sample size. If you want more accurate information (though of course still only an approximation), use SimCraft and run your setups to compare.

It's not unthinkable that breaking tier is a better choice in some scenarios, but I would imagine that if your gear level is at least somewhat consistent (i.e. not too many normal vs. mythic warforged or some crazy gaps like that) then having the tier bonus should pull ahead.

But of course, as I said, the individual setups can vary considerably, and blanket statements rarely cover that. Run simulations, that would be my best advice.

Using those pseudo points from twintop 0 -> 2pc is worth 72.9 PP and 2pc->4pc is worth 374.4 PP.

Guess I forgot to mention also that my int went up due to 2 warforged items of 92. as well as the almost 3.75% crit

Yeah, you really should just sim your setups. These are not things you can just decide by eye.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dredlocks View Post
    So, just wondering by looking at sim craft sheets it shows cop with a 3.5% gain roughly using 4 pc, however I'm playing AS. My question is that now that I run , with extremely bad luck weekly trying to get the correct tier drops, how bad it would be /loss to use 0 tier and just maximize all crit gear in every slot. Example, I do have 4 pc tier, two really crappy pieces, and two heroic, the heroic pieces are the legs and hands, worst of them all. Using 4 pc, I only have 17.14 % crit non buffed or in a raid. If I equip all crit gear, ignorning any tier I have 20.76 . Due to the numbers posted in AS under HowtoPriest. It shows crit as equally important or really close to spell power.

P Stat weights (Best Two Per Fight (1 and 2 DoT) T17M, from here), for Shadow for 6.1.0, updated March 21, 2015):
    Int = 1.0000
    Spell Power = 0.8828
    Crit = 0.8980
    Haste = 0.7290

I'm assuming you should use 4 pc, but after testing in raiding the other night and trying 0 tier, I't didnt feel like I lost any dps at all, possibly even gained.
    Just run a sim and you get your answer.

Run a sim or yolo it.

The sim will tell you the 4pc is better, but if you "feel" like you're doing more DPS without then go right ahead. It's your $15/mo, don't let those dumb faced computers hold you back from your true potential.

All the crit gear might be better single target, but on AoE fights, 4 piece is definitely better, because of all the Devouring Plagues you're going to be tossing out. Does not take a computer to figure out that 90-100% uptime on 12% haste is better than 2-3% more crit. I've literally had times where I've gained orbs faster than I could spend them.
    Last edited by muto; 2015-03-28 at 09:28 PM.

12% haste sucks.

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

Drye, eat a snickers.

Or a warlock soul. Whatever works for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    All the crit gear might be better single target, but on AoE fights, 4 piece is definitely better, because of all the Devouring Plagues you're going to be tossing out. Does not take a computer to figure out that 90-100% uptime on 12% haste is better than 2-3% more crit. I've literally had times where I've gained orbs faster than I could spend them.
    I have that problem on iron maidens, oh dear, sometimes u get so many orbs that u need like a 0 sec gcd to toss them out fast enough rofl.

I expect this talent is going to be hilarious with the next tier of mythic gear, probably so much crit you'll basically become a DP priest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazori View Post
    I have that problem on iron maidens, oh dear, sometimes u get so many orbs that u need like a 0 sec gcd to toss them out fast enough rofl.

I expect this talent is going to be hilarious with the next tier of mythic gear, probably so much crit you'll basically become a DP priest.
    Like Blast Furnace. :P I need to keep DP up on like 3-4 targets sometimes, especially when my oregorger trinket pops. Its just...ALOT, of orbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    Like Blast Furnace. :P I need to keep DP up on like 3-4 targets sometimes, especially when my oregorger trinket pops. Its just...ALOT, of orbs.
    As I have learned recently, DP is not in fact a DoT like most others. It works like Ignite, in that extra ticks "roll over" and are not wasted even if you spam it. So on Blast Furnace, feel free to pump all the DPs straight into the current priority target, with no regrets. In fact, that's what makes Shadow shine - we can DP things so hard, we often end up #1 on damage to specific targets like Primals etc.

Deleted
    No, the 4 piece is better in every situation since most of the 4set gear is pretty well geared and the general synergy of AS with oregorger trinket and the 4set.

The 4set improves when you add more targets for AS to proc from. The 4piece generally means roughly 5-10% dps increase. You also have to remember that haste increases dot tick rate which improves the speed at which crits proc. People see crit as the only stat that is good, haste is great as well and having an extra 12% haste is crazy good if you can maintain the buff uptime.

I wouldn't downgrade to normal from heroic though as a general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    As I have learned recently, DP is not in fact a DoT like most others. It works like Ignite, in that extra ticks "roll over" and are not wasted even if you spam it. So on Blast Furnace, feel free to pump all the DPs straight into the current priority target, with no regrets. In fact, that's what makes Shadow shine - we can DP things so hard, we often end up #1 on damage to specific targets like Primals etc.
    i want this to be true but i'm not getting that result on a dummy in my garrison. starting with max orbs and MB off cooldown:

DP (5.12 second duration, idk if that's affected by haste at all, i am not very experienced)
    MB immediately (my first DP has ~3.9 seconds left on it)
    DP again... debuff is reset to 5.12, and it looks like i've overwritten about 1.7 seconds of my first DP.

sorry if this comes off like an interrogation, i just *really* want to go AS for some fights, but the rapid target-switching to fart out these DPs can choke me up sometimes, and it would really help if i could just pump it all into a priority target instead of wasting it on something that might not live the whole duration anyway. i also am terrible at math, so it's entirely possible i'm missing something (hopefully!).
    Last edited by sprrw; 2015-03-30 at 01:49 AM.

Deleted
    The damage rolls over. It works like ignite.

Let's assume 0% haste. If you used DP 6 seconds debuff on the target, 1.5 seconds later and used DP again (@ 4.5seconds remaining), it doesn't add 6 seconds onto the 4.5, it adds the damage and refreshes the duration.

Let's say you hit 40k on a DP with a 40k dot over 6 seconds around 6.6k dps ticking every 1 second, again assuming 0% haste.
    If you added another DP at 4.5 seconds remaining which has about 30k damage left to tick, you add 40k to the DoT and refresh the duration. It will now do 70k over 6 seconds at the exact moment it is applied, around 11.6k dps.

It still ticks every 1 second even if you used 4-5 DPs in a row. The damage is just multiplied, the duration or tick-rate isn't.

With the removal of snapshotting, DP is currently one of the only abilities that still snapshots. If you crit a DP, the rest of the dot will also crit/do the same damage as the initial crit.

The reason why Spriests can get massive amounts of burst into a target like on Blast Furnace is that they just pummel the mob with DP spam over and over because they get so many orbs.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2015-03-30 at 02:12 AM.