Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are Armor and Weapon Designs Looking More Over The Top Now Than Ever?

Not really a complaint as more of a nit pick really.

Being an avid WoW player since Vanilla you kind of notice a lot of things change over the years, one of those that I have just noticed didn't hit me until I saw the recent front page to MMO-Champion.

I looked at this weapon and thought. "What is that?" I mean sure, clear as day its a sword, but I really cant tell you how overblown this sword looks, sure its fantasy so swords are supposed to look fantasy-esque, but there's suspension of disbelief and then there this...

Remembering how weapons used to look at raid level in vanilla Wow (yea here come those nostalgia goggles), I remembered weapons even getting from raid bosses looking less crazy than that.

The weapon above is Bonereaver's Edge, a weapon from Ragnaros in Molten Core.

I am not sure where to place it, if its the freedom of detail and textures developers have to work with now that makes the current weapons look so overblown or the fact that we are running out of simple weapon designs.

Remember this is not a complaint more of a nit pick and observation.

What do you think have weapons and even armor gotten a bit over the top in terms of design and appearance of the more crazier the better??

Last edited by Orby; 2014-05-23 at 06:42 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Yeah I agree, It has gotten a little out of hand - but at the same time, some of the best looking sets / weapons (imo) are the slightly exaggerated ones.

That WoD sword does look god awful though.

Deleted
    The original Ashkandi would like to have a word with you.

Short answer: yes.
    Long answer: Blizzard's artists are compensating something.

10+ Year Old Account
    yee, cause ashkandi or thunderfury or corrupted ashbringer or that twin dragon axe whatever its name was werent overblown at all... o wait

I would say TBC had some well over the top weapons. Perhaps some weve seen in the alpha files are just going on that theme.
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Art is subjective. What you think is too over the top, someone else thinks it isn't crazy enough.

Topics like this are pointless for that very reason. Your topic says 'omg these weapons too crazy' where as someone else will see it and make a topic that they're perfect and great, or need to be more INSANE AND ANIMATED AND CRAZY!

And ultimately its Blizzard's game/property. The only opinion that matters in regards to aesthetic, art etc... is theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    yee, cause ashkandi or thunderfury or corrupted ashbringer or that twin dragon axe whatever its name was werent overblown at all... o wait
    Exactly. And BC/Wrath/Cata all had a ton of insanely excessive weapons too.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Totally agree. The scale is just so, so huge the graphic overlay looks stretched and an overall lack of detail. It makes it look messy. Never been a fan of the huge rock and crystal designs that seem to be so prevalent in what we have seen of WoD.

One word: Transmog.

Honestly, why do people still even care about how the make new weapons? You can always transmog what ever you get to something you like, like some level 10 sword with a hilt and a blade like a real sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Transmog fixed the issue but I will say with everything including our characters having a high-polish, updated finish, using old gear we liked for its simplicity and styling will start standing out and high poly clown suits and still clown suits.
    Then transmog your gear into simple models aswell, I've done it on my DK, got some lvl 40 random plate stuff with a simple 2hander. Looks like a real warrior, and not some fancy Roman Emperor doing a parade.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The bigger the better.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Then transmog your gear into simple models aswell, I've done it on my DK, got some lvl 40 random plate stuff with a simple 2hander. Looks like a real warrior, and not some fancy Roman Emperor doing a parade.
    Real warrior? What is this I don't even...
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I also agree, I'm a newer player, and seeing all these new weapons and gear from WoD and MoP, they just seem really displeasing compared the more original stuff. I always get my xmog sets from BC, Vanlla, and occasionally WoTLK stuff. Although, I love T16 pally stuff.

Deleted
    There are tons of OTT examples of weapons in Vanilla and TBC. They got tamer during Wrath and Cata (Gurthalak is probably one of the better large weapons from Cata), and moreso during MoP and it's really become bland. There were very few memorable weapons this expansion vs things like Ashkandi and Obsidian Edged Blade. Axes and Maces are the worst this expansion; you can barely tell a 2H from a 1H anymore.

I much prefer large weapons with lots of detail and colours since I can actually get weapons that match my tier sets. If you want a simple brown axe or steel sword there are plenty of those already for you to use.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-05-23 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamzy View Post
    Yeah I agree, It has gotten a little out of hand - but at the same time, some of the best looking sets / weapons (imo) are the slightly exaggerated ones.

That WoD sword does look god awful though.
    Disagree, that sword looks Amazing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Yes and I fucking love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scientists predicted this years ago but no one listened.
    Black Lives Matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-05-23 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Ashkandi actually looks cool though, while that WoD sword looks like it's made out of plastic and should have a Fisher-Price label on it.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.