Question Elemental in proving grounds.

Hey all. I just completed proving grounds on gold but I was wondering if anyone else here struggled with it aswell. Other damage dealers in my guild (ie: locks and hunters) informed me that it was a piece of cake and they basically one shotted everything. I have 100+ CM gold rating completed. so my question is there something I am doing wrong ( I am guessing a mastery build isnt good for proving grounds/CMs ) or does all eles have it hard in proving grounds due to the lack of AOE waves in which we excel at ??

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I struggled quite a bit as well:. Sometimes it would come down to 1 global to finish off a pack, and the next attempt I would have 20 seconds left. If you have a series of bad rng with overloads, no lightning bolt crits the damage kinda blows, definitely with such low gear/stat values. And of course after a couple of attempts you forget to do the obvious and then it goes downhill. Right when I was done with ele, I logged my frost dk. Never ever played frost in pve, and 1 shotted it up to gold while having time enough to scatch my nuts in between waves. Next I tried the dps challenge as blood dk, and took me 1 attempt to get the you are doing it wrong achievement. Resto gold with full ele gear was a breeze as well. Personally found the tanking challenge on prot pally the hardest of everything I've done so far, followed by ele.

Its relaxing to see that it wasnt only me who was having a hard time. But I guess I should follow what blizz say that proving grounds scores should be compared on with players with same specs and not other classes. I also found silver resto really easy with full ele gear ( reforge and gems ) had a diffuculty with mana at the end, I guess I should give gold a try.

I found gold to be quite difficult (~8 tries to beat), and have yet to get past Wave 8 on Endless. This is coming from someone who beat Mingus Diggs in ilvl 508 gear.

IMO, our reliance on big cooldowns and inability to do multitarget DPS outside of CL really hurts us in PG. Not to mention loss of Haste and Mastery making Mastery/Echo procs far less consistent. Just have a look at the rankings-

http://www.wowprogress.com/char_stat...ield.pg_damage

Only 5 shaman in the top 500, and none in the top 100. I'm honestly amazed by the guy who was able to get to Wave 48 as Ele. No clue how he did it. Maybe clever use of Thunderstorm to push dudes into CL bounce range? >_>
    Last edited by Chiquihuite; 2013-09-18 at 03:57 AM.
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    I found gold to be quite difficult (~8 tries to beat), and have yet to get past Wave 8 on Endless. This is coming from someone who beat Mingus Diggs in ilvl 508 gear.

IMO, our reliance on big cooldowns and inability to do multitarget DPS outside of CL really hurts us in PG. Not to mention loss of Haste and Mastery making Mastery/Echo procs far less consistent. Just have a look at the rankings-

http://www.wowprogress.com/char_stat...ield.pg_damage

Only 5 shaman in the top 500, and none in the top 100. I'm honestly amazed by the guy who was able to get to Wave 48 as Ele. No clue how he did it. Maybe clever use of Thunderstorm to push dudes into CL bounce range? >_>
    Yes I had the same issue, gold took me Forever, there are a few tips though, since your gear is getting scaled down, you should probably be gemmed for Straight Int and Int-Haste in Yellows, Reforge accordingly as well.

I didn't want to bother with the expense so I just slogged my way through it, Waves 5 and 7 proved to be the most problematic, usually coming down to getting a LS proc at the right time, with one fail on wave 10 due to me switching to that stupid banshee

have difficults with gold too. currently farming for 2nd gear set to go int and haste as my main gear is mastery.

Gold took me 7-10 tries on my elemental, then I swapped to my frost mage alt and just one-shot every wave with lots of time remaining (didn't try endless yet)

Deleted
    First session where I tried gold I spend around 7-9 tries, the best one being wave 10 and the add blowing up (due to timer) with 5% hp left.
    Second session I oneshotted gold without any serious problems - for this session I made sure to switch my gear that had spirit on it with my ele PvP gear that didnt have any spirit on it, and was gemmed for int/haste. I changed talents from Echo (rng) to Elemental Mastery (on demand burst/dps increase). I also used foodbuff & Vision of Insanity.
    I did one try on endless and made it to wave 3 where I messed up and timer ended with mob being sub 10% (didnt use any cooldowns at all).

I tried bronze tank as elemental but that didnt seem possible to do.. Got killed on wave 5 or 6 due to taking too much damage (was using thunderstorm, cap totem & talented earthbind). Might be possible with more kiting though...
    Havent tried the healer one as elemental, but I'm defiently going to give that a shot

I got a CM set which is stacked with mastery and it was a bit too rng'ish, i used EM also. Gold really isn't the prob, just use cd's on the harder waves, they'll be back up later. predrop root + stun for monkey and get a focus interrupt macro.
    Endless is just too rng'ish, especially mastery stacked, sucks to proc into overkill and not proc on full hp targets?
    relogged arms warrior and got endless without any prob and without flask or food buffs (lol deep wounds).

The PG achievs should be like CM and not account wide. Also human dk's with all their trinkets can just fail so badly and still succeed.
    Last edited by woopytywoop; 2013-09-18 at 08:48 AM.

Sorry for the thread necro. I'm just really glad it's not just me struggling with gold. The ramp up in difficulty from Bronze-1 to Silver-10 was perfect. Then Gold comes along and fucks everything up. It feels dumb to have to go and re-gem and reforge for such a small achievement, but it's probably the only way I'll ever see a Challenge Mode group.

Elemental probably has a lot to do with multi-dot flame shocking adds your AREN'T killing so you get as much LvB procs as possible on all waves.

I've done it as enh and being able to correctly mouse-over flame shock the adds you aren't killing or will kill last makes a huge difference (got to wave 50 as enh).

I assume because Ele actually gets a DPS increase on kill-target with the flame shock proccing lava bursts this would help even more.