Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Other MMOs get the combat responsiveness wrong.
    For me this is pretty much it. Like absolutely spot on.

The combat in wow might not be so complex but my god, it's smooth, animations are smooth, it flows and it works. Countless MMOs try something new and it just looks horrendous. It's my one gripe with Wildstar. The combat looks ugly as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post

The combat in wow might not be so complex but my god, it's smooth, animations are smooth, it flows and it works. Countless MMOs try something new and it just looks horrendous. It's my one gripe with Wildstar. The combat looks ugly as hell.
    Truer words could not have been said lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post

The lack of complexity in WoW's combat didn't bother me till I tried a few other MMOs, then I came back to WoW and just couldn't get over how few things actually mattered in the combat. You can really see how the engine was meant for 3/4 view RTS games.

I like Wildstar's combat and wouldn't call it ugly, but sometimes the telegraph clutter gets to be a bit much. The lack of a reticle for abilities in ESO bothered me too though, there must be some happy medium there.

I agree that entrenchment is the general reason why people don't quick click onto a new MMO. Your friends and general community are on WoW, and you generally understand how the game works and the tricks and secrets to make it do what you want it to, and other incongruities. It takes a bit to get used to a new game- Shooters are pretty much the only ones which you can immediately feel comfortable in, because they all use WASD and you always click to shoot.

It's embellished by a few things;

1. WoW is a lot of peoples' first MMO.
    2. I don't think many people have clicked onto the "12-18 month post-release" period. An MMO is not really a 'finished product' for about this long. It doesn't seem like MMO betas, at least for the last batch (GW2/SWTOR), have really been enough to put the game under heavy stresses- Not just server stresses, but things like reward/effort, PvP and economic balancing.

I had the exact opposite problem when I tried to readjust from GW2 back into WoW. When a GW2 character starts running, they have a 'start running' animation that runs for about a tenth of a second, and then they go into running. WoW doesn't have that animation (or at least, it's a lot shorter), and WoW felt clunky because of it, even though I'd played WoW for several years. Characters occupy far different portions of the screen- My Sylvari occupies twice as much of the screen space as my Belf does. I think that's really all it is; people aren't allowing themselves time to learn the quirks of basic mechanics like movement and skill activation, because they've never had to make that adjustment before.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    WoW has been polished for years, both in design, server stability, systems, responsiveness and whatnot. New MMOs face a very difficult challenge because of this.
    Hell, how many times have you tried a third person RPG and felt like your character isn't as responsive to movement controls, or casting spells (HAS TO BE INSTANT, ALWAYS)? WoW has nailed this perfectly. In games like Guild Wars (and to some extent GW2, tho a lot less so) it felt like you were stuck inside your character, instead of being that character.

Also, because it's the current incoming MMO: WildStar seems to have been in production for aaaaaaages just because of the standard WoW has set, even for new MMOs. Players expect SO MUCH. I hope it isn't trying to get the old WoW veterans back with "classic / bc ish design" because they are all atleast over 20 by now and don't have the amount of free time like a 13 year old anymore. I'll see on saturday.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    WoW is unparalleled and always has been. I wonder how long it will take for the actual WoW killer to arrive. I'm guessing 25 years?

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    Nothing ruins my MMO experience more than slow character response and slow turning. WoW did it right 10 years ago and it is rare to come across a modern MMO that feels the same.
    Yup, I wont play a game for more than 30 mins if it's not fluid with movement and casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Announcing the possible no flight in WoD is probably the greatest thing to ever happen. It gave me an almost 3 week (so far) break from the game, and having deleted all 3 of my accounts, if I want to play again, I have to buy it ALL over again and start with no gold, gear, or achievements, mounts, etc. Maybe if they bring flight back, and unlock race class combos, I might return.
    Quite an over-reaction to no-flying on Draenor, don't you think? Seriously, what does a player like you do in the game? Fly around all day? Seems you should've quit a long time ago because you aint playin' the game right.

On topic: I've spent my breaks from WoW playing Warhammer, Age of Conan, SWtOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift, TERA, Neverwinter, and most recently and even more so come this saturday WildStar. While I will be playing a lot more WildStar in the near future, I can safely say that none of these games have proven better than WoW. WoW is simply the best. One big thing I notice when I enter a new MMO is how much the world, the story, the lore, the universe it takes place in matters to me. I have been with Warcraft for so long that I am simply so much aware of everything that is going on there, and that makes me interested in the world and thus the game. For all other titles I mentioned everything just seem like random shit I don't understand. With the exception of SWtOR ofc. That is the one MMO that really would've had a chance. Unfortunately there were so many other issues I had with that, like how I felt the graphics looked plastic and how the movement of the character and stuff just didn't feel as smooth as it does in WOW.

15+ Year Old Account
    New MMOs often go in one of these directions:

1) hey, let's copy WoW! See Rift... WoW clones always suck, because you know, if you like WoW, then you will play WoW and not an unpolished clone. On the other hand if you don't like WoW, you won't play something that looks and feels like WoW, because you don't like that. Simple, isn't it? Of course some people who stopped wow may end up in such MMOs, but clones will never ever come anything close to WoW.

2) hey, let's NOT copy WoW! See hmmm lots of things, like ESO, Wildstar. This is when things work in a stupid way just because the logical way would be too much like WoW. The result is something that feels forced.

The genre isn't as popular as it was ~10 years ago, also it's already saturated - it's hard to come up with something fresh and original and attract lots of users. I've tried lots of games after WoW but they were mostly lackluster. The only MMO that was appealing was EVE Online.

The only MMO that I have enjoyed since my time in WoW is The Secret World. I chalk this up to the radical difference in terms of graphic styling, setting, and feel. The combat is, unfortunately, a bit lackluster - it's sort of like GW1, but tends to feel stiff - and endgame gets grindy, but my God is the writing, acting, and atmosphere phenomenal. Investigation missions are one of the coolest things to happen in a quality title since... I have no idea when.

For those of you that don't know about this/them, TSW is set in modern times where every supernatural story is true. So modern, in fact, that you have an in-game web browser (that you use your cellphone for). Investigation missions take advantage of this fact - they are all extremely intelligent, incredibly challenging mind puzzles that more often than not require you to use resources outside of the game. Analyzing real Morse Code, translating Hebrew, researching links from Frankenstein's Monster to other major literary works, using a trail of clues that links from in-game files to in-game environmental details that send you to spots in the Bible to interpret some lines back into the game. It's just... it's phenomenal. I've spent entire days on a single Investigation mission.

Deleted
    SWTOR fucked it up themselves.
    The game itself was good, the atmosphere, the art style, the world, the quests, the classes (even though some being carbon copy wow classes) all were perfect for me.

but:
    Their game engine sucked. It performed extremely poorly while looking not all that good.
    Combat had annoying action button delay which completely killed responsiveness
    UI lacked some basic features like target of target.

Then there was that whole desaster with the pvp zone (don't remember the name) where players could be spawn camped 24/7 due to a bug they didn't bother to fix for the longest time. Also some classes (hello operative and bounty hunter) were hilariously OP -> lost them a lot of PvP players

End game content was fun, but a bit undertuned (strangely some five mans were harder than the raids) and there wasn't enough of it. I got content clear and completely BiS gear extremely fast with a mediocre guild (mediocre by WoW standards, in SWTOR we competed for server firsts) -> lost them a lot of PvE players

tbh. it looked like the perfect game with a few more months of polish, but they botched it when they released it unfinished. I actually had planned to come back with new content, but then they went free to play and the game was dead for me right there. I think they have fixed a lot of the issues now, but since I heard of that christmas debacle (IIRC their 'christmas event' was releasing a 25$ mount in the real money store) I knew that I wouldn't touch the game ever again.

For me the real time combat systems like neverwinter or wildstar just don't do anything. All I want is WoW with a different skin/some new classes and I'm set, but that hasn't come along in acceptable quality yet (RIFT may be, but I've never tried it)

Its neither, not every game hands you the entirety of its content like Blizzard does and this is what most players want.

I have played lots of different MMOs but I mostly play WoW simply because it is a game where I can push end game on a casual schedule. Full clear heroic pre nerf while raiding less than 6 hours each week is something only doable in WoW (given that you can find a group of people who want the same thing as you).

I like challenging games and WoW fills that need nicely without requiring you to spend a ton of time in the game grinding gears. All the other MMOs I have played do not have as good of boss encounter as WoW imo. So I will likely stick with WoW until I can no longer find a raiding guild that fits my needs.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

I play this game because of how deep the lore is, and how expansive the whole Warcraft universe is. As far as game design, I play Rogue, and I might not like what they did to the class over the years, but the overall gameplay was always amazing. I love that class, and always will, but overall I just love the way the game has been developed over the years. It's an impressive universe, with lots of story, and this is coming from a ultimate Star Wars geek. The only game that ever matched WoW in my opinion was Star Wars Galaxies, and I played that game until I got a Jedi Knight. Again, it was the lore of that universe that got me. After Galaxies, I heard of WoW and gave it a shot, and I was so impressed by it, that I read all the lore, bought Warcraft 1,2 and 3, and the best thing coming out of all this is the movie. And yes, it is the best MMO out there, and it will be after WoD, people will come and go, but WoW will stay.

Im quite exited for Wildstar. I may not even Raid, but the dungeons and pvp are really fun imo, and I like the fact that it has the same cartoon style as wow, but looks really completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Im quite exited for Wildstar. I may not even Raid, but the dungeons and pvp are really fun imo, and I like the fact that it has the same cartoon style as wow, but looks really completely different.

I think Wildstar looks good too, but it would take have to be something extraordinary to take me away from this game. I don't know, I don't really like the races, even though they are innovative, classes are sorta similar to what we have here, but the world looks amazing. Then again, I like to enjoy Warcraft universe, and how all the races combined make it what it is, along with history, and depth itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossrono View Post
    I think Wildstar looks good too, but it would take have to be something extraordinary to take me away from this game. I don't know, I don't really like the races, even though they are innovative, classes are sorta similar to what we have here, but the world looks amazing. Then again, I like to enjoy Warcraft universe, and how all the races combined make it what it is, along with history, and depth itself.
    It's a good thing for me because I'm sick to death of wow, and I'm just going to play Wildstar very casually as well. I don't even want to get addicted to it.

I just got invested in WoW. I am almost completely self dependent. I have a good chunk of gold to sit on. I mean everything is good. When I try these other MMO's even if they are good it is a uphill battle. I just can reclaim what I have in WoW in another game. Sure some of it is the people I know in the game world but most of it is about what I have worked for and can't walk away from. It takes a long time in another game to beat 10 years of work. I don't want to put that 10 years in another game.

wow has become the virtual life for many people over the years. imagine spending 10 years in this world, creating bonds with people, maybe even fall in love occasionally.
    im not calling these people "sick" or anything, dont even go there! this is perfectly normal human behaviour, to get attached to something more and more, the more time and effort you invest into it.
    wow itself has become a hobby for many people, not the "gaming" itself. im sure many people who play wow for many years, dont even like playing games in general - they just enjoy playing wow and thats it.
    also if you reference wow in real-life then theres almost nobody who has never heard of it, so it can also help as an icebreaker in conversations out in the real social life.

thats kind of my opinion on this matter, maybe somebody thinks alike or thinks that this sounds reasonable? maybe the opposite ^^

i am btw not one of them, but i am a little jealous of people who established a well working virtual life inside of wow. i had also something like that going for the duration of vanilla, but it slowly derailed and broke apart in bc (not because of bc, just bc as a timeframe) and it left me demotivated to never try and restart it... sadly^^
    Last edited by Ghul; 2014-05-29 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    New MMOs often go in one of these directions:

1) hey, let's copy WoW! See Rift... WoW clones always suck, because you know, if you like WoW, then you will play WoW and not an unpolished clone. On the other hand if you don't like WoW, you won't play something that looks and feels like WoW, because you don't like that. Simple, isn't it? Of course some people who stopped wow may end up in such MMOs, but clones will never ever come anything close to WoW.

2) hey, let's NOT copy WoW! See hmmm lots of things, like ESO, Wildstar. This is when things work in a stupid way just because the logical way would be too much like WoW. The result is something that feels forced.

The genre isn't as popular as it was ~10 years ago, also it's already saturated - it's hard to come up with something fresh and original and attract lots of users. I've tried lots of games after WoW but they were mostly lackluster. The only MMO that was appealing was EVE Online.
    Out of interest what things do you feel were "stupid changes" in Wildstar and ESO just to be different than WoW?