Thread: Killing spree

Killing spree

Im confused by this ability. Some times it hits like an absolute truck, sometimes it just don't do any damage. I am mindful if enemies are using defensives then i wont use it but i just dont understand how the damage on this ability fluctuates so much??

Even tried it on places like timeless isle in my pve gear. Sometimes it will drop someone from 100-0 in a hearbeat or sometimes only take half their health... and this is without any sort of bandits guile up.
    Last edited by TomGreen; 2014-05-26 at 02:08 PM.

Well, without any data to examine, I'll just say that one simple explanation is critical hits. Obviously if you crit several times during the spree the damage done will be much higher than if none of the attacks crit. That's just one basic reason why the damage might fluctuate. Other possible reasons include: Trinket procs, whether slice and dice is active.

That's about as much as I can contribute since your question is generalized with no specific data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGreen View Post
    Even tried it on places like timeless isle in my pve gear. Sometimes it will drop someone from 100-0 in a hearbeat or sometimes only take half their health... and this is without any sort of bandits guile up.
    What situations are we talking about? Attacking players (in the world) with no more information... you could be attacking people with 400k HP and next to no armor or 1M HP and 28% damage reduction passive, we really don't know. Yes, crits will have a large effect on a very small window of damage, as will mastery procs, or just missing with autos during KS (assuming you're not using other CDs with it as not indicated in your post).

For more information, give us more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    What situations are we talking about? Attacking players (in the world) with no more information... you could be attacking people with 400k HP and next to no armor or 1M HP and 28% damage reduction passive, we really don't know. Yes, crits will have a large effect on a very small window of damage, as will mastery procs, or just missing with autos during KS (assuming you're not using other CDs with it as not indicated in your post).

For more information, give us more information.
    Crits have a large effect on short numbers of attacks, remember that during spree you're hitting in the neighborhood of 16-18 times, with that many strikes the spread of RNG is smaller than say 2 eviscerates.

Trinket and Dancing Steel procs are a big factor, a huge factor actually. In PvE gear trinket and enchant procs can roughly double your attack power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair correction; I'm still mostly interested in what we're comparing on. If we're doing random players on Isle, it's going to vary just as much by opponent as by all factors of RNG. For dummies, we'd want to look at procs/crits for individual casts.

Bandit's Guile is also a chance – up to 30% more damage if you're using it during Deep Insight.
    Cantor

9/9 gold MoP CMs | 8/8 WoD Gold CMs | 7/7 M Emerald Nightmare | 6/10 M Nighthold

The biggest factor I can think of is: Surge of Conquest. Your proc trinket is up when you Spree some times, but not others.

As well, Bandit's Guile. Every 4 Revealing/Sinister Strikes grant you a stack of Bandit's Guile, which increases your damage by 10%- Stacking 3 times.

There's a post on the Arena Junkie's Forums Here that you'll want to look at if you're at all interested in Combat and Effectively OWNING Newbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything based on Killing Spree killing someone in a 100-0 or close to depends on Critical Strike RNG. You can literally stack potions, Dancing Steel, both trinkets, prey on the weak, 30% bandits guile and you still have the possibility of a shitty spree due to shitty RNG. A lot of Combat Rogues who PvP waste their time stacking mastery thinking that it makes spree "hit harder" when all it does is give you slightly higher amounts of sustained damage during spree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Everything based on Killing Spree killing someone in a 100-0 or close to depends on Critical Strike RNG. You can literally stack potions, Dancing Steel, both trinkets, prey on the weak, 30% bandits guile and you still have the possibility of a shitty spree due to shitty RNG. A lot of Combat Rogues who PvP waste their time stacking mastery thinking that it makes spree "hit harder" when all it does is give you slightly higher amounts of sustained damage during spree.
    An unbuffed spree with 100% crit will do less damage than the a 0% crit spree that you describe (quoted in bold). Sure, extreme RNG can make that either "really fantastic" or "good", but it's not as big as the other, player-influenced factors.

Unless the OP responds, though, this is all really tangential. We still don't know if the question is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    Unless the OP responds, though, this is all really tangential. We still don't know if the question is resolved.
    For ever shrouded in mystery. OP's question remains unknown to all of us.

Deleted
    As said in this thread before, the total damage of killing spree scales a lot with not only crits but also procs of your trinkets and enchant procs.

You can't have the same damage on killing spree every single time, that's pretty much impossible