10+ Year Old Account

24" or 27" monitor?

I just ordered a new pc, since the current one turned 3 years old, and there's a lot of games coming out this year i wanna enjoy.

I have a 24" Dell monitor thats been serving me very well for nearly 7 years, but it's started to be a bit annoying, not always wanting to turn on + a couple dead pixels.

I figured it might be time to buy a new one along with the new pc, but i cant figure out if i should get a new 24" or go for 27".

My desk is about 90 cm deep, so i have limited possibilities when it comes to distance - i sit about 80-100 cm away from the screen.

I dont play crazy fast paced FPS, mostly games like wow and other fantasy stuff. I plan to play Wildstar, Dragon Age 3, Witcher 3 and stuff in that genre.

I know i should get an 1440 monitor and not 1080, but i dont really know if 27" simply just means i'll be moving my head around more and it'll get annoying.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can, find a store / shop / whatever so you can view monitors at your potential viewing distance. See if it's comfortable or not.
    For me I know 27" is too big because I sit really close.

10+ Year Old Account
    1080 is best on a 24", anymore than that and it looks stretched to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    but i dont really know if 27" simply just means i'll be moving my head around more and it'll get annoying.
    I went to a 27" at the end of last year and I had that same thought, but it's definitely never been an issue. I'll also probably never go smaller than a 27" now.

27" if your computer can handle it. Have to consider things like TN/IPS, Hz etc though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I've got a 2 monitor setup, 27" for movies/streams/browsing and a 24" for gaming. The only reason i game on the 24" is due to it having 120hz, which is a must for FPS's. I will upgrade it to 27" when i have the coin to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    I know i should get an 1440 monitor and not 1080, but i dont really know if 27" simply just means i'll be moving my head around more and it'll get annoying.
    why is this even a question?go for the 27 inch.1080 p is fine. Higher resolution means lower frame rates.I have a 27 inch monitor and also a 32 inch monitor. To me 32 inches is also good but I wouldn't get one bigger than that.also having a second monitor is great in general not just for gaming. I thoroughly enjoy watching a movie on one monitor and playing a game on another, twice the fun. after you experience multi monitor you will never go back to just a single monitor.

If your monitor is 120hz then you also need 120fps to actually use the 120hz... It's faaar away from even being close to a "must" for FPS's.. 120hz is relatively new for the common gamer. 120fps is what you get is Counter-Strike.. running on a 24" and 27" you aren't going to get 120fps in BF or crysis or whatever new fps games out there (Not particularily intrested in fps games so no clue about titles)

My point is, 120hz not a must...Exaggerate more please.

Deleted
    I have both a 27" 1440p and a 24" 1080p monitor, and from my experiance the 27" 1440p is a great option when you are sitting 80-100 cm from the screen (I sit at about the same distance from mine).

The 27" can also be set to 1080p and comparing that resolution on a 24" and 27" screen, there is a noticeable difference, it is not much, barely even significant but it is there and it is enough that when I am playing at 1080p I prefer to use the 24" over the 27". And if I had to choose again a monitor for 1080p only, I would go with the 24" again, but having said that, that is my preference and 1080p on a 27" is not bad, I just think it is better on 24".

Which brings me to my next point while the vast majority of games I have tried to play at 1440p work fine, there are a few that are not well optimised or do not support 1440p. For example, Ghost Recon Phantoms does not support 1440p at all (at least when I last tried it), While League of Legends supports 1440p the mouse cursor gets smaller at 1440p and can not be resized, this sounds like a trivial complaint but when I played that at 1440p I kept losing the cursor during teamfights, until I lowered the resolution.

All that said keep in mind 1440p does require a more powerful GPU to make the most of it.