Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Btw, do you think the Story Journal will only contain the story instances, but we'll still have the mindless zerg stuff out in the open for random achievements? I actually don't mind the latter, it can be fun in a non-challenging way.
    Wonder how/to what extent we'll be able to re-visit past episodes of the new LS.

that is how it will work from the sound of it nevermore. The story instances is what you'll be able to replay.

The story instances will be replayable, but the open world stuff will mostly remain, so you'll be able to play that too forever (pending something else over-writing it) I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    Im kind of sick of people exclaiming look at all the content they give with out a sub fee. You do realize they make more money then all other MMO's besides like 2 from gem sales. I believe WoW and Eve are ahead of them.

The fact of the matter is I am fucking pissed off that they decided to pull another one of these stupid living story seasons. It is such a shitty shitty shitty concept for the future of a MMO. Limiting content to be played only during a short amount of time is by far the stupidest thing to do. Grant it holiday events are perfectly fine but wasting most of your resources and making the majority of your content a you had to have been playing when it was live to see it is so bad on so many levels. Not only that but they have achievement rewards that these 2-4 week events give a mass of AP people like me who came late into LS Season 1 missed out on a good 1-3k AP for it. The fact that they have yet to announce or hint at an expansion is troublesome. The game is coming up on its 2 year anniversary and im sorry to say this but LS will not bring new people to the game like a full blown expansion.

Its a sad day in the gaming world when a 21 year old with 0 professional knowledge in the field realizes how fucking stupid their direction of content release is going. I give this game another year before people become absolutely fed up. In fact people are going to play this game for the first time in 3 years and be like is this all that this game has? Do they not add content? Why because they don't get to see the Shitty living story.

/end rant
    I have to disagree to some extent. While yes, people can get bored it can happen for any game, but getting people to log in every 2 weeks to try to do something they're only releasing for a short time is actually a pretty good way to keep people.

There are a lot of people who just want to be involved with the current story/event, do those events, then don't log back in til the next one. It's much like with farmville, or dailies, or so, they want to give you incentive to log in. Doing something a little more spread out than say a daily actually has a better chance of getting people to log in and check things out because it'll take longer for the burn out to happen.

As for how much money they're making from gems, I don't think anyone can make a comment on that unless they can provide a press release from them showing how much they make because I know I've dropped a fair amount of cash (prolly over 100 for wow, easily a few hundred in lol) on both wow and league for vanity items and I think I've only dropped maybe 10$ in GW2.

Either way, I personally like the living story. If my computer wasn't awful and I didn't have to clean it out every couple of weeks, I probably wouldn't take as many breaks from GW2. Makes me sad when I miss a story or event, but that also makes me more wanting to make sure not to miss the next one, which I'm pretty sure is what they're aiming for.

That said, you pointed out you're not a professional, but at the end of the day most people can agree that a company doesn't just run their company into the ground for funsies, while their choices might not be what you would do if you owned a company, but they could easily be what they feel that the majority wants. MOST people don't sabotage their own success.

Edit: for some reason I remember them saying they would never do an expac, they would just simply add more content as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsoft
    "In regards to your recent post on a Guild Wars 2 expansion, there is a slight misunderstanding when interpreting the answer from the NCsoft earnings call. We are considering an expansion, but we are taking a wait-and-see stance. We are evaluating the performance of the game and deciding on when would be the best time to launch an expansion. But right now, our living story approach is very successful in keeping players engaged with new and exciting content. Launching boxed expansions are a great way to package content, but if we can do this on a more regular basis, something we've been doing since launch, it provides players with new content to explore and experience every time they log into the game."
    So, pretty much saying, no expacs, more patches and content.
    Last edited by Tazila; 2014-06-07 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    hmm the thread about the story journal was deleted, my intent was that people who haven't played GW2 for a while get the news about the huge change. I think a lot of people left because of the temporary nature, and you can't get this out of the OP here.

My suggestion:
    Rename the Thread so that the permanent character of future content is clearly visible for everyone
    Add the information about the story journal in the OP

Edit: I don't get why a post about a new pretty considerable feature gets deleted. Seriously.
    Your thread wasn't deleted it was closed. There's even a closing message explaining why it was closed. If your still confused about why feel free to send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Your thread wasn't deleted it was closed. There's even a closing message explaining why it was closed. If your still confused about why feel free to send a PM.
    I don't care if deleted or closed, it's the same for me. Out of sight, out of mind.

Initially the vital information wasn't in the OP but hidden among the replies. Luckily Karizee was kind enough to edit the first post so that people can see what the story journal is all about (and not only get the info: Season 2 is starting now, hurray!)

The only thing missing now is a thread title that goes with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazila View Post
    So, pretty much saying, no expacs, more patches and content.
    Actually... I'd prefer more small xpacks for free / gems in the future instead of less big boxed xpacks. I think it's what they wanna stick to.

Copy from my post in the forums:
    The information about the new challenging achievements makes me looking forward to s2 most.

I wonder if the elimination of the s1-like meta achievements means that temporary achievements are fully gone then. As I understood there will still be open world temporary content – so will there be achievements for the more casual players that are temporary too?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Launching boxed expansions are a great way to package content, but if we can do this on a more regular basis, something we've been doing since launch, it provides players with new content to explore and experience every time they log into the game."
    o yea I forgot I been getting expansions worth of content this whole time, derp.

GW1 had way more content at this point in its life. Not to mention pvp which GW2 doesn't have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Not to mention pvp which GW2 doesn't have.
    U wot m8? O.o

Okay, maybe you really did miss it all this time....? (psst - it's been in the game since launch)
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-06-08 at 07:39 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Karizee, I take it you know this by now but we're talking about PvP...

If you think PvP in GW2 is worth anything you're delusional.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    man, 90% of the people I know must be delusional then

It's quality may be subject to opinion, but it's existence is not...

10+ Year Old Account

I take it you didn't read the TOPIC or you would know we are discussing....

Update: ALL CONTENT NOW PERMANENT, ADDING LEVEL 80 ONLY CHALLENGING CONTENT

[/QUOTE]
    Valar morghulis

Stay on topic. This is not a thread about PVP or your opinion of it.

-- Fencers