Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Go hunter, you won't be sorry!
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I know it's probably too late but I created an account JUST to stick up for DK. These people that say DK is terrible are wrong. They may not find the play style particularly engaging or entertaining but I have found there is a substantially higher "skill-cap" than what most will agree to.

Here's the thing, if you want to play like a warrior then make a warrior. A DK simply does not have the same tools a warrior does and YES we can be rooted and slowed for ages if we aren't careful. Part of the "skill-cap" of a DK, I find, is finding out how to do this "tunnel bot" damage while using the rest of my tools to not ONLY do damage but peel for team mates etc. Think of it this way if you will, If you died in an arena match because you didn't know what to do or if you can say to yourself at the end of a match or duel "Self, I could have done that better if I had done x,y,z." then you know there is room for improvement. What most people want is to be an unpeelable uncontrollable dps bot from hell that smashes faces and laughs in the face of the enemy's feeble attempts to damage them. The simple fact is the state of the game is geared around pressure and countering pressure.

As far as hunters go, I have to agree with everyone else they simply have the best and most varied amount of cc. Most of the CC they use can be applied instantly and with little to no ramp-up PLUS they have the added benefit of being able to apply them from range! Now here's the thing as a DK I know if I think this is a tunnel bot class and I just go mongoloid into the middle of the map as I've seen so many other players do, that I will be blown to hell and back. So the way I play is come out with hard pressure on a target then play with the hunter's mind. I pillar hump hunters for days while my diseases tick on him. Grip him in and watch him deter or disengage. If you play vs hunter like a chess match and don't over commit or go too far from some sort of los you can pick him apart. When that hunter has no more deterrence?
    I eat them in 5 seconds not even kidding. Asphyxiate into gargoyle and start spamming. Also I have no idea what that first guy that cried so much about DK was talking about because it makes the class sound so pathetic even though I have great results from playing mine. And the damage is VERY high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korwill View Post
    I know it's probably too late but I created an account JUST to stick up for DK. These people that say DK is terrible are wrong. They may not find the play style particularly engaging or entertaining but I have found there is a substantially higher "skill-cap" than what most will agree to.

Here's the thing, if you want to play like a warrior then make a warrior. A DK simply does not have the same tools a warrior does and YES we can be rooted and slowed for ages if we aren't careful. Part of the "skill-cap" of a DK, I find, is finding out how to do this "tunnel bot" damage while using the rest of my tools to not ONLY do damage but peel for team mates etc. Think of it this way if you will, If you died in an arena match because you didn't know what to do or if you can say to yourself at the end of a match or duel "Self, I could have done that better if I had done x,y,z." then you know there is room for improvement. What most people want is to be an unpeelable uncontrollable dps bot from hell that smashes faces and laughs in the face of the enemy's feeble attempts to damage them. The simple fact is the state of the game is geared around pressure and countering pressure.

As far as hunters go, I have to agree with everyone else they simply have the best and most varied amount of cc. Most of the CC they use can be applied instantly and with little to no ramp-up PLUS they have the added benefit of being able to apply them from range! Now here's the thing as a DK I know if I think this is a tunnel bot class and I just go mongoloid into the middle of the map as I've seen so many other players do, that I will be blown to hell and back. So the way I play is come out with hard pressure on a target then play with the hunter's mind. I pillar hump hunters for days while my diseases tick on him. Grip him in and watch him deter or disengage. If you play vs hunter like a chess match and don't over commit or go too far from some sort of los you can pick him apart. When that hunter has no more deterrence?
    I eat them in 5 seconds not even kidding. Asphyxiate into gargoyle and start spamming. Also I have no idea what that first guy that cried so much about DK was talking about because it makes the class sound so pathetic even though I have great results from playing mine. And the damage is VERY high.
    A Death Knight is just a plate-wearing Warlock in my opinion; and I really hate Warlocks, but despite my disgust in having to fight Unholy Death Knights, I'll have to agree with you that they're a much more fun choice to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    A Death Knight is just a plate-wearing Warlock in my opinion; and I really hate Warlocks, but despite my disgust in having to fight Unholy Death Knights, I'll have to agree with you that they're a much more fun choice to play.
    I can agree with that insomuch as we have a pet and dots. The overall theme is similar with the whole death thing they both have going on. I also happen to really enjoy my warlock but not as a dot spec I prefer demo or destro.

Hey OP if you still care, most classes have at least one weak area. Some classes have several weak areas and rely on teammates more. Ultimately if you pick a class do it because the overall theme is fun to you or every time you use "awesome looking spell X" you grin because it makes you feel great. When you find THAT class and learn the strengths and weaknesses, that is when the chess match begins. You want to force people into fighting a fight that favors your strengths whatever that may be. The rest is more about learning to be better at the game as a whole.

*edit*

And please do NOT take random battle grounds as any indication of how your class will perform in an organized setting. Charging a ranged dps class in an open field with nowhere for you to hide is playing to their strengths. They can cc/kite you all day and make you miserable particularly when you have nobody to heal you.
    Last edited by Korwill; 2014-06-02 at 12:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with that insomuch as we have a pet and dots. The overall theme is similar with the whole death thing they both have going on. I also happen to really enjoy my warlock but not as a dot spec I prefer demo or destro.

Hey OP if you still care, most classes have at least one weak area. Some classes have several weak areas and rely on teammates more. Ultimately if you pick a class do it because the overall theme is fun to you or every time you use "awesome looking spell X" you grin because it makes you feel great. When you find THAT class and learn the strengths and weaknesses, that is when the chess match begins. You want to force people into fighting a fight that favors your strengths whatever that may be. The rest is more about learning to be better at the game as a whole.

*edit*

And please do NOT take random battle grounds as any indication of how your class will perform in an organized setting. Charging a ranged dps class in an open field with nowhere for you to hide is playing to their strengths. They can cc/kite you all day and make you miserable particularly when you have nobody to heal you.
    Sorry if that sounded aggressive, it was late here. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    He is right though.

A DK is a damage bot and nothing else. No team support outside of peeling with chillblains/grip, no way to survive a hard swap since they have pathetic defensive CDs, no capacity to escape damage with their horrid mobility, and only 1 CC that if you have it, you gave up your ability to snare and peel for your team.

I'm 2k in RBGs and nearly 2k in 2's and I stink. I mean I really stink. I don't even have focus macros. Other than getting off an occasionally useful Dark Sim, all I do is call a target, grip it in, don't overextend myself, and mindlessly throttle the target to death. And it usually dies. I don't have to pay attention to anything else (other than spin a flag) except mindless damage. It feels so unsatisfying, but I keep topping damage and getting invited to groups JUST to mindlessly spam damage into kill targets. In 2's my MW is basically immune to melee so I don't have to worry about peeling him. I just tunnel the healer/most vulnerable DPS and we win.

The fact that I am 2k on my DK is complete bullshit, because I doubt I could even hit 1500 on a sissy boy wizard class, or rogue or feral. So, while the hunter skill floor is similarly low, their skill cap is much, much higher than a DK and should be that much more rewarding to play.

depends entirely on your setup and partner.

uhdk + mw monk is one of the strongest combs in 2s, right now.

And there is of course skill involved in playing an uhdk if you try 3s..you need to manage your necro stacks and plan ahead for the kill. thats really not easy with that kind of resource system the dk got(as unholy only, frost is trivialized) and probably 1-2 peelers that keep you in check. You simply need a ton of awareness, easily on a glads level and/or some good addons.(debuff filter for example and some dk addons that check ns stacks and diseases)

But till a certain rating.....perhaps 2k? there is nothing to complain as a dk. but i recommend to play him in duels, 2s and rbgs only, dks are strong in these brakets.

Don't see the point in comparing a dk to a hunter = apples and oranges. Totally different gameplay.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Believe me, I play a DK.

Dk do great damage, but outside of CD's. Not so much....

Hunters right now, do crazy damage + great amount of CC.

Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    Well, I don't deny it. I know how you feel, really. http://www.arenamate.net/

As feral we have even less viable comps than DK's. We've also been reduced to damage bots that tunnel one target because it's not worth trying to cc. And like you, we're very strong in 2's but that doesn't mean anything. It's a sorry situation for both specs, however, there's hope for WoD i guess.
    Just, that the dk isn't a spec like a feral, but a class...same can be said about rets. DK is lowest ranked as a class in arenas for like an enternity, whole of mop and perhaps last cata season 11, too. Last season when they were strong dmg bots with big survival was s10, with their infamous deaht strike heal - i think 20% of the total hp was healed without any reductions.

People that like to "powerplay" shouldn't play with that class. I wonder if anything happens in WoD, couldn't really figure it out yet, but general cc reduction might strenghten the dk class, cause it got many cc breakers, but almost no offensive cc.

Deleted
    Sorry, Those that say DK's are rubbish very clearly don't play DK

The one thing about DK (and the best thing in my eyes) is we are kings of some things but have drawbacks, This is how all classes should be imo

Now my experience is only on RBG's where @2.2k Every team has a DK, whereas not every team has a hunter, and there's a reason for that

Dk's bring alot of things to the table almost no other class does, They bring necro's, The ability to move other people chars in a controlled way (with the form of triple grip), they have very good anti-peeling abilities, as well as astronomical damage (usually only being beaten by affli. Locks) A DK is brought for utility, but not in the form of CC.

As a hunter in RBG's you'll find yourself guarding bases more times than not, as hunters are good for that, with a DK you'll actually be in the fight. Both are useful, in their own ways

As for WoD, it's too early to tell, however I'm putting my money on DK's being Top dogs, now some may laugh at that, however with the removal of disarms, having QoL issues addressed in the fact desecrated removes snares, and casters having to actually cast, meaning interupting will actually be useful alot, means DK's will be on top (so far) we gaining alot with no drawback....yet

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrius View Post
    Not necessarily 1v1, am just looking for something for random battlegrounds, and maybe arenas at some point. I've heard good things about mage and warlock as well, but i don't really like the robe look at all, but after looking a bit more at the shaman, it looks like he is a robe user as well, even though he can use mail armor? So looks like Hunter is the right choice for me right now.
    Then Hunter will be your friend. I play a hunter in mostly randoms just for fun and you just wreck people. It is good that you want to do randoms because they will be your training ground and once you master what ability to use and when, you will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdkay View Post
    Sorry, Those that say DK's are rubbish very clearly don't play DK

The one thing about DK (and the best thing in my eyes) is we are kings of some things but have drawbacks, This is how all classes should be imo

Now my experience is only on RBG's where @2.2k Every team has a DK, whereas not every team has a hunter, and there's a reason for that

Dk's bring alot of things to the table almost no other class does, They bring necro's, The ability to move other people chars in a controlled way (with the form of triple grip), they have very good anti-peeling abilities, as well as astronomical damage (usually only being beaten by affli. Locks) A DK is brought for utility, but not in the form of CC.

As a hunter in RBG's you'll find yourself guarding bases more times than not, as hunters are good for that, with a DK you'll actually be in the fight. Both are useful, in their own ways

As for WoD, it's too early to tell, however I'm putting my money on DK's being Top dogs, now some may laugh at that, however with the removal of disarms, having QoL issues addressed in the fact desecrated removes snares, and casters having to actually cast, meaning interupting will actually be useful alot, means DK's will be on top (so far) we gaining alot with no drawback....yet
    you do realize that dks are best in rbgs and hunters best in arenas?

even though hunters are a top pvp class, most do not search for 1 in rbgs...

Just use the class in their strongest braket and you will be fine. Play whatever you like. That said i find unholy dk play more interesting than huntards. :P

oh and last part exactly what i said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    you do realize that dks are best in rbgs and hunters best in arenas?

even though hunters are a top pvp class, most do not search for 1 in rbgs...

Just use the class in their strongest braket and you will be fine. Play whatever you like. That said i find unholy dk play more interesting than huntards. :P

oh and last part exactly what i said.
    You highlighted an interesting point here. This game is meant to be fun first and foremost. I see so many people looking for help on which class to play and what are the pros and cons etc. The bottom line comes down to what you think is fun. If being a class that is competitive at the highest level is fun to you then by all means go for it! If you're like the majority of the gaming community and will never reach that upper echelon of competitive play then play something you enjoy. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy outplaying someone on a supposedly inferior class. Ever fight a warrior as a feral? I have many times and I have to say it's one of my harder match ups. Other people may disagree with me on that but that's my struggle. When I beat a warrior, especially if he is good, I feel so proud! Hardly anyone plays one class these days so just make several guys and get em geared. If you hate one chances are you won't play him anymore anyway so just make him a farm bot or do some dragon slaying on that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    Just, that the dk isn't a spec like a feral, but a class...same can be said about rets.
    Vastly different playstyles in specs of hybrid classes can be pretty much considered 'classes' because one spec is nothing like the other.

Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    Vastly different playstyles in specs of hybrid classes can be pretty much considered 'classes' because one spec is nothing like the other.
    You got a point.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy outplaying someone on a supposedly inferior class.
    Thats for some strange reasion is, what i always do. And its not just limited to wow.....i strangely do it in all games. When it comes to strategy games that you can play competive online, i tend to use the weakest race/nation i can find.

You learn so much more if you win with an inferior class those uphill battles too. That said, the unholy dk isn't as inferior as some people might think, but he is pretty much outdated. No real design changes for quite a while in comparission to many other classes. That might cause a bad feeling, too, especially for veteran dk players - new dk players shouldn't complain.