Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try this out very shortly. I'm doing this to warn the player that they're going to be encountering enemies once they leave the beginning map. I've positioned the character so that the player cannot advance without selecting the correct dialog option. I'm on my laptop or I'd screenshot it and show you. In effect, it's just a friendly warning to the player when they just start out.
    Gotcha. As long as you place the event where the character is going to step, and you set the trigger to player touch, that should do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    The first one should work something like this:

You can see it's triggered by player touch. You'll also want to switch the event off after choosing yes. Hard to code that part without knowing exactly what you're going for.

I've done your second request but removed it. There are some great tutorial videos on youtube, though.
    If you want the event to switch itself off, you can also use a second page and have it activate a self switch.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Just want to say I'm glad to see all this RPG Maker help and such. Makes me want to not be lazy and actually start messing more with it. Just when I load it up and look at the map my mind goes blank on a design. One day something will hit me!

Thanks! I'll be sure to try this out very shortly. I'm doing this to warn the player that they're going to be encountering enemies once they leave the beginning map. I've positioned the character so that the player cannot advance without selecting the correct dialog option. I'm on my laptop or I'd screenshot it and show you. In effect, it's just a friendly warning to the player when they just start out.
    Friendly warning? I forsee it actually being the guy who yells at him for being stupid and trying to go out and get killed :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Friendly warning? I forsee it actually being the guy who yells at him for being stupid and trying to go out and get killed :P
    Maybe...maybe!

- - - Updated - - -

So now I'm lost on importing tilesets. I have imported them via Resource Manager, then went to Database, then the Tileset tab, but get lost once I get to the "Graphic A1, A2" etc part. It all comes out oddly. For learning, I have a .PNG of a simple house, that's it. I tried to do it via A3 (Buildings), but it's shown graphically as a jumbled mess. A5 (Normal), but I guess the image is to large, width wise...I guess you can't scroll...?

I'd love to experiment with RPGMaker if only the price wasn't so expensive.

Just to ask, what kind of games have you guys been making? Any great examples? (With links). Would love to try some out.

Just want to say I'm glad to see all this RPG Maker help and such. Makes me want to not be lazy and actually start messing more with it. Just when I load it up and look at the map my mind goes blank on a design. One day something will hit me!
    Same for me, except I just don't have enough time. If I just had all the time in the world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw

Just to ask, what kind of games have you guys been making? Any great examples? (With links). Would love to try some out.
    Price is a steal, because engine barely has any bugs (unlike other free RPG Maker software) and have a lot of customization and very user-friendly UI.

I also wanted to point out custom made active battle system for RPG Maker VX Ace - http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/8...uid-v3-update/ That's to show what can be done with RPGM. I didn't test or look into those scripts myself yet, I wish I had more time -.-
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2014-06-09 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

Out of curiosity, were you not able to grab it from the Humble Bundle last week for a $1? That's how most of us got it. Though I believe several of us splurged for the $5 (think it was that) and $12 tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Same for me, except I just don't have enough time. If I just had all the time in the world...
    You aren't kidding. I always feel like I'm doing something and it's bogging down my times. Though there are a couple times I sit at the computer starring at the screen. Just gotta motivate myself to spend that time playing with it since I'm not doing anything else.

You aren't kidding. I always feel like I'm doing something and it's bogging down my times. Though there are a couple times I sit at the computer starring at the screen. Just gotta motivate myself to spend that time playing with it since I'm not doing anything else.
    I know that feel. I actually dropped a few things from my agenda to make time to commit to tooling on a game I'm adapting from a short story I wrote years ago. Nothing I've been playing is really speaking to me right now, so I figured why not create for a bit?

Wait for it to go on sale again. Last year Steam Summer sale had it at $17, and just last week it was on Humble Bundle for $1.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Wait for it to go on sale again. Last year Steam Summer sale had it at $17, and just last week it was on Humble Bundle for $1.
    Keep in mind it was on sale at $17.50 (75% off) within Steam, while it was on sale on HB... unless they lower the base price, I'm not sure you'll find it on sale like that again. Personally. I'd look to trade for it.

Still kinda stuck on importing assets (specifically tilesets) into VX...

Keep in mind it was on sale at $17.50 (75% off) within Steam, while it was on sale on HB... unless they lower the base price, I'm not sure you'll find it on sale like that again. Personally. I'd look to trade for it.

Still kinda stuck on importing assets (specifically tilesets) into VX...
    It will, like I said last time Steam did a big seasonal sale it was on sale for that same price. That's when I finally bought it and converted my..."acquired" version into a PURCHASED version.

If you want to try it for free they have free trials on their site. Just pick the one you want to try. This one is "30 day limit" of the full blown version.

Then there are free programs on the site. The lite version looks to be a copy of the Full version with limitations but no "30 day limit".

Looks like these are the limitations:

Maximum Database Entries

• 10 Actors
    • 10 Classes
    • 126 Skills
    • 16 Items
    • 60 Weapons
    • 60 Armors
    • 30 Enemies
    • 30 Troops
    • 25 States
    • 110 Animations
    • 4 Tilesets
    • 10 Common events
    • 100 Switches
    • 100 Variables
    • There are no other database restrictions

Map & Event Limitations

• 20 Maps
    • 10 Events per map
    • Call Common Event is disabled

Script Limitations

• The script editor is disabled.
    • The 'Script' event command is disabled. Other script commands in Assign Variable, Condition Branch, and Move Event are still enabled.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-06-10 at 03:32 AM.

Humble Store currently has RPG Maker VXAce Bundle (The same one that was on sale for $1) for $25. This is a over $300 value on sale for $25. To put this into perspective, during the pay what you want the average to unlock all that DLC was more than half that price, so it's NOT that big of a price difference (like $12 compared to $25)

If you missed the "Pay what you want" but still want the game AND lots of addons...this is VERY much worth it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/rpgmaker_weeklybundle_storefront

Mod Note: Edited the link to just take it directly to the bundle itself.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-06-11 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Humble Store currently has RPG Maker VXAce Bundle (The same one that was on sale for $1) for $24. This is a over $300 value on sale for $24. To put this into perspective, during the pay what you want the average to unlock all that DLC was more than half that price, so it's NOT that big of a price difference (like $15 compared to $24)

If you missed the "Pay what you want" but still want the game AND lots of addons...this is VERY much worth it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/rpgmaker_weeklybundle_storefront
    Was about to post this. But yea you based get all the content from the weekly bundle that you could've payed $12 for but now pay $25. Which is still a bargain for everything in it.

Back from a week abroad - ill have a look at the tilesets later as well.

Keile already answered the earlier question i see, good solution.

Maybe...maybe!

- - - Updated - - -

So now I'm lost on importing tilesets. I have imported them via Resource Manager, then went to Database, then the Tileset tab, but get lost once I get to the "Graphic A1, A2" etc part. It all comes out oddly. For learning, I have a .PNG of a simple house, that's it. I tried to do it via A3 (Buildings), but it's shown graphically as a jumbled mess. A5 (Normal), but I guess the image is to large, width wise...I guess you can't scroll...?

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Back from a week abroad - ill have a look at the tilesets later as well.
    I'll upload some screenshots to show what's going on. Note, click on any image to go to the URL with the bigger size. I didn't want to clutter the thread.

Here's my house that I was using as a test.

A1:

A2:

A3:

A5:

Note for A5, there's no scroll bar, so I guess it's cut off...?

Edit: Here's the default .png image.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2014-06-14 at 09:24 PM.

RPGMaker VX Ace handles tilesets a bit differently than RPGMaker XP used to:
    * Instead of a single massive image for each tileset which could be 256 pixels wide, and an unlimited multiple of 32 high, such as: http://bbrtki.deviantart.com/art/RPG...rest-130051791 - (unless you use a script to change your tileset size - yes that's possible, though not recommended unless you're in the advanced class)

RPGMaker VX Ace has 5 groups for auto-tiles, and 4 groups for the flat tiles.
    Each auto-tile group consists of a block (image) which is divided into 32x32 pixel tiles.
    Here's where stuff gets tricky.

Graphic A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 are considered "auto tiles", and generally consist of a block of 4 or 6 tiles - grouped next to each other. (sub grouped in case of animation).
    Just check Outside_A1 - A5 on the existing tilesets.

Tiles in "A" will provide you with about 256 tiles in total.

This topic is best found in the software itself, just press F1, then type "tileset", and open the topic "resource standards"

Sets B, C, D and E: These sets are handled as upper layer tiles during map drawing.
    Each is sized 512 × 512 and you should place 16 × 16 of these tiles therein. -> In other words, a 512x512 px image for each of those layers, containing 256 tiles each.
    The tile on the furthest upper left of set B is for representing nothing placed on the upper layer, so make sure to leave it empty.

Note: http://i.imgur.com/5TNxsbu.png
    Does not fit the described dimensions, so the game is getting confused with it I suspect.

Man, I'm wanting to toy with RPG Maker again, but with the Summer Sale, I fear I'll never get back to it...

Man, I'm wanting to toy with RPG Maker again, but with the Summer Sale, I fear I'll never get back to it...
    Summer sale comes and goes,.
    I've got some time now, but still so many games to play and so little time! o_o

On a side note - anyone have an idea how to fix the annoying bug in chapter 12? "12. Shooting fireballs".
    It's really bothering me.
    And, short of disabling it altogether - each time you switch to a map, i'm not sure how to fix it.

For those of you still wanting to buy this program, it is currently up on Steam for 75% off (making it $17.49).