Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyken View Post
    Is it possible to make a Roguelike game with this? Also, is it possible to include an own soundtrack? i mean own mp3/wav files for expample.
    Rogue like - yes, you can script some stuff and add events as you see fit.
    Procedurally generated levels will be tricky to add - but i don't see why not.
    Soundtracks - very much yes. Graphics as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am currently working on something that mimics the ancient cave from Lufia 2 but with more randomness (random enemy stats, random super enemies, random events like merchants, chests, healer etc.). I am using several scripts (most from Yanfly, but the random dungeon generator is from Saba kan I think (have to look it up)). If you just want to take a look, here is the game, but it's completely in german:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Beta%203.rar

And here some Screens:

http://rpg-atelier.net/index.php?site=showgame&gid=910

Edit:
    Regarding the scripts, here is a full list of all scripts I use:

modern algebra:
    - Enemy Stat Variance

Saba Kan (translated by kirinelf):
    - Dungeon Creation 6
    - Modify Event Behaviour 6
    - Dungeon Creation 6 (Minimap)

Yami:
    - Revival Fix (for Ace Battle Engine made by Yanfly)

Yanfly:
    - Ace Core Engine v1.09
    - Ace Message System v1.05
    - Class System v1.10
    - Class Specifics v1.00
    - Class System Add-On: Class Unlock Level v1.00
    - Party System v1.08
    - Ace Battle Engine v1.22
    - Battle Engine Add-On: Elemental Popups v1.00
    - Battle Engine Add-On: Enemy HP Bars v1.10
    - Enemy Target Info v1.02
    - Element Absorb v1.01 (not used yet)
    - Element Reflect v1.01 (not used yet)
    - Extra Drops v1.01
    - Victory Aftermath v1.03
    - Ace Equip Engine v1.06
    - Buff & State Manager v1.07
    - Convert Damage v1.02 (not used yet)
    - Equip Dynamic Stats v1.00 (not used yet)
    - JP Manager v1.00
    - Learn Skill Engine v1.00
    - Skill Cost Manager v1.03
    - Skill Restrictions v1.03
    - Steal Items v1.03
    - TP Manager v1.04
    - Slippery Tiles v1.00 (not used yet)
    - Ace Item Menu v1.02
    - Ace Menu Engine v1.07
    - Party Sized Menu v1.00
    - Ace Shop Options v1.01
    - Command Window Icons v1.00
    - System Options v1.00
    Last edited by Marston; 2014-06-01 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyken View Post
    Is it possible to make a Roguelike game with this? Also, is it possible to include an own soundtrack? i mean own mp3/wav files for expample.
    You could, yes. More easily with Ruby scripting but you could even do it with just events. That's how we used to do it in the old RPG Maker 95/XP days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Procedurally generated levels will be tricky to add - but i don't see why not..
    Very very tricky but possible...I remember being part of a project that attempted this in RPG Maker XP. Basically you put events on all of the 'tiles' of the map and, using variables, randomize the graphic of that 'tile' and, using math, make sure the path is explorable. Not easy. We didn't get far but this would be so much easier with Ruby scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Here is the game, but it's completely in german:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Beta%203.rar
    Multi language support should be doable i think - seen it done.
    Probably scripted, then reference to the strings in the database or an external file.

Loved the lufia 2 cave,. i think there's a flash game out there that mimics it as well. (cave of wonders or such)

10+ Year Old Account
    The scripts are all in english. It's just the game that is in german. Simple reason: It isn't finished (can be played up to floor 40 from planned 100) and I never planned to release the game in english. I just linked it to show that it is possible to do roguelike games.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Yes, takes quite some scripting though (unless by roguelike you mean just permadeath...which a lot of modern games think it means )
    Yes
    Hey, thanks for the answer, by roguelike i dont mean 100% roguelike, just a few things, a bit randomness in maps, objects, permadeath etc.

thanks

Too bad I bought RPG Maker VXA a while back, but this was still worth putting the $12 on for the DLC's and such alone. Now I have a spare copy of RPG Maker VXA I can give to a friend! *Thumbs up*

This also kinda rekindles my desire to work more on my game (I was going for an old school FF feel, think early SNES era ones where it didn't hold your hand and you had to GRIND LEVELS.....ill put a demo up eventually when I feel it's ready to be shown.)

As for making roguelikes it is entirely possible. If you know how to script you can make just about any sort of RPGish game with the maker. I recall someone made a Zelda clone using RPG Maker.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    As for making roguelikes it is entirely possible. If you know how to script you can make just about any sort of RPGish game with the maker. I recall someone made a Zelda clone using RPG Maker.
    Oh, one can make pretty much everything if you know how to.

This for example was done with the XP. It's quite laggy, but that's because of the recording. You can proabyl double the whole speed of everything if you play without recording (at least that's what it was like for me):

Ugh, it STILL uses Ruby. That was a pain when I made my first game years ago. I might pick it up for $1 and tool around with it, but I'm not sure I want to delve into making triggers and scripts again.

EDIT: *sighs deeply, gets credit card* Okay. I'm in. Let's do this.
    Last edited by Lyese; 2014-06-02 at 08:14 PM.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    My internet just died two hours ago and I tried to work with the VX in steam offline mode. That worked, so you can work without internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    I think it uses steam cloud...at least at some point it was complaining I was using too much steam cloud space. Then I removed the project from it, and suddenly loading times were also greatly reduced . Click on manage project, there you can see it. Hope it helps
    Hmm, still can't get VX to work. I tried clicking on ''Manage Project'', and it just doesn't respond. To Google, I guess....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Hmm, still can't get VX to work. I tried clicking on ''Manage Project'', and it just doesn't respond. To Google, I guess....
    Hm, try asking on the official website. I think someone there might be able to help you.

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Last day on the bundle,. 1$ well worth spending. 23 hours and 45 minutes and counting - tell your friends

Updated the first post some with more stuff for the quick guide, and slowly adding the quickguide to the blog as well with some pictures. http://rrvs.blogspot.com.

Adding moving npcs next. (First to the OP in this thread obviously)

Anyone have some requests on what to research next?

Bbr, you should put up a guide on making bridges people can pass over OR under. Such a simple concept, yet it takes quite a few events to make them properly work but using them you can make neat mountain pass dungeons.

I'll work on one myself using the project I am currently working on if you would like.

IMO I think that is a basic that all people should know so that they can make more interesting areas.
    Last edited by Keile; 2014-06-04 at 06:43 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Thank you bbr for compiling some resources on this. Bought the $6 pack, mostly so I can give To The Moon to a friend. >.> Don't know how intuitive the program is, but will take a look nonetheless.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bbr, you should put up a guide on making bridges people can pass over OR under. Such a simple concept, yet it takes quite a few events to make them properly work but using them you can make neat mountain pass dungeons.

IMO I think that is a basic that all people should know so that they can make more interesting areas.
    You could do it with 2 events that are copy/pasted into the appropriate areas. If you're interested I can post a guide when I get home from work.

Heck, does anyone want to create some simple guides to put in the OP? I can contribute. RPG Maker is surprisingly flexible even without Ruby scripting if you get creative with events (which is basic programming anyway...).

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    You could do it with 2 events that are copy/pasted into the appropriate areas. If you're interested I can post a guide when I get home from work.

Heck, does anyone want to create some simple guides to put in the OP? I can contribute. RPG Maker is surprisingly flexible even without Ruby scripting if you get creative with events (which is basic programming anyway...).
    I already know how to do it, but a lot of people who are new to RPG maker DO NOT. It is extremely simple, yet it's one of those things that are so simple a lot of people don't even think about it. It is also tedious XD

I am currently making a small image guide to it using my own project as a reference.

Edit:

Here is a simple picture for an example, I color coded the different events based on what they do. The RED dots disable the bridge when you step on them, the GREEN dots enable the bridge, the YELLOW dots move UP to prevent you from walking off the bridge, and the Blue dots move DOWN (if they are not in place to be "same as characters" then you could end up clipping through the underside of the bridge when you walk below.

But let's go into a bit more detail.

-Start by doing a similar setup to what is in the image. Basically you make two main events. One will turn ON the "Bridge" trigger, and the other will turn OFF the "Bridge" trigger. The other events are the bridge pieces themselves and the invisible walls. You only need to make ONE of each of these events (one of each color dot in the image) and you can copy and paste them to your hearts content anywhere on the map...or any other map.

-Once you have these two triggers, find out where you wish your bridge to be. As in the above image, place them NEXT to eachother completely covering the width of the path, so that our heroes cannot avoid hitting them. You must place the ON trigger on the inside (towards the bridge) and the OFF trigger on the outside. This means that when you walk past the ON trigger by the time you get to the bridge it will be active, and vice versa. Use the above image as a guide for placement.
    To script these properly, set them to "Below Characters" and set them to activate "On Touch".

-The bridge itself is a series of events. They have two pages, the default stage requires NO TRIGGER active, and sets them to "Above Characters". This will allow you to walk under them when you are on the bottom layer. With the "Bridge" trigger active, they now move to "Below Characters", this allows you to walk on them. BUT this is where things get tricky. By setting them below characters TECHNICALLY the game doesn't differentiate them from the actual ground. You would be able to literally break physics and just walk from the bridge down to the ground.....so let's prevent that.

-This is where the yellow dots come into place. When the "Bridge" trigger is not active these will set to "Below Characters" allowing you to walk over them as normal ground. When the "Bridge" trigger is active, these are set to "Same as Characters", thus providing an invisible wall.

-Now the bridge should work, as you walk towards it the events will shift positions and create the illusion of you walking on a bridge that you cannot jump off of and when you are on the ground level you can walk under it....but there is one last thing to fix. Enter the Blue Dots.

-The blue dots are set, by default, to "Same as Characters" this is because due to the way the land has to be set for the bottom part of the bridge (if you use the normal cliff tile it can look weird when you attach the bridge. So I remedy this by using a smooth block. But this creates the problem that you can walk from under the bridge in that spot to the higher level.) This will prevent you from walking out from UNDER the bridge and simulate you hitting a wall underneath. When the "Bridge" trigger is active, these events move down and you can safely walk over them.
    Last edited by Keile; 2014-06-04 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post

Heck, does anyone want to create some simple guides to put in the OP?
    I can contribute. RPG Maker is surprisingly flexible even without Ruby scripting if you get creative with events (which is basic programming anyway...).
    I'll gladly add all you can gather,. the more info we can put up there the more help.

Even without ruby, the basic events can manage a lot - if/then/else/while/break,. with even basic programming knowledge you can put together surprisingly complex / cool things.

I'd have to look up the bridge thing - so if either of you already have it available - sharing is caring

I'll gladly add all you can gather,. the more info we can put up there the more help.

Even without ruby, the basic events can manage a lot - if/then/else/while/break,. with even basic programming knowledge you can put together surprisingly complex / cool things.

I'd have to look up the bridge thing - so if either of you already have it available - sharing is caring
    Already edited my post above yours with a quick guide. And I am working on a small demo of it in action, so people can just copy it from there.

EDIT:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=267257872 I posted a small demo on Steam Workshop that will allow you to see how the technique works. It's a barebones game, so it should be a small download. It is not encrypted, so feel free to copy it as you see fit/modify it/improve it.
    Last edited by Keile; 2014-06-04 at 07:56 PM.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=267257872 I posted a small demo on Steam Workshop that will allow you to see how the technique works. It's a barebones game, so it should be a small download. It is not encrypted, so feel free to copy it as you see fit/modify it/improve it.
    Ah, didn't notice the 2 tabs - i can work with this, will work it out a bit later.
    Tab 1 is the default state.
    Tab 2 is the state in case of the trigger I guess.

It's possible to make moving platforms as well - but that'll go into the more advanced section.

From your test project:
    * Black: Bridge element. Set Graphic. Default above characters. Second page: Below characters - check switch Bridge is ON.
    * Yellow: Side bridge. Default above characters. Second page: Same as characters - check switch bridge is ON.
    Blue: Bridge beginnings. Default Same as characters. Second page: Below characters - check switch bridge is ON.
    * Green: Enable Bridge. Default trigger player touch, set BRIDGE switch ON. Second page: Trigger action button - check switch bridge is ON.
    * Red: Disable Bridge. Default trigger player touch. (do nothing?) Second page: Trigger player touch - check bridge is on - set bridge is off.

I think your red and green triggers are slightly flawed, I removed the second page on the green and red triggers and only had the red trigger check for the switch (though this is somewhat redundant in the end, as off is off). Both react to player touch.

Last edited by bbr; 2014-06-05 at 07:14 AM.

Ah, didn't notice the 2 tabs - i can work with this, will work it out a bit later.
    Tab 1 is the default state.
    Tab 2 is the state in case of the trigger I guess.

It's possible to make moving platforms as well - but that'll go into the more advanced section.

From your test project:
    * Black: Bridge element. Set Graphic. Default above characters. Second page: Below characters - check switch Bridge is ON.
    * Yellow: Side bridge. Default above characters. Second page: Same as characters - check switch bridge is ON.
    Blue: Bridge beginnings. Default Same as characters. Second page: Below characters - check switch bridge is ON.
    * Green: Enable Bridge. Default trigger player touch, set BRIDGE switch ON. Second page: Trigger action button - check switch bridge is ON.
    * Red: Disable Bridge. Default trigger player touch. (do nothing?) Second page: Trigger player touch - check bridge is on - set bridge is off.

I think your red and green triggers are slightly flawed, I removed the second page on the green and red triggers and only had the red trigger check for the switch (though this is somewhat redundant in the end, as off is off). Both react to player touch.
    It can be cleaned up, but it works XD

Feel free to streamline it, I'm certain they will work with a single page on each but I make the second page JUST in case.