Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Feel free to continue posting guides and such and if you want to put like a tutorial/guide in a post further in this thread then feel free to message myself or say something here and I'll be sure it gets added to the OP and such so it can be referenced to.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I find the time (Wildstar is currently stealing all of it) I may translate my first Ace game which was only meant as a short test game to take a look at the editor after working with the 2k/3 for years. Would be this one and it's pretty basic, no ruby and nothing really fancy, but has some nice things for people who just started.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Bridge tutorial cleaned up and added to the OP.

BBR, excellent job streamlining my rough guide! If I think of something else I'll throw it your way.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    BBR, excellent job streamlining my rough guide! If I think of something else I'll throw it your way.
    Always welcome.
    Even new ideas that aren't in the guide yet, and someone making a new RPG might want to know / find out.

I'm wondering if some puzzles, or stuff from lufia might be interesting to investigate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Puzzles definitly. Probably some easy stuff like moving objects for example. The Lufia puzzles are somewhat complex most of the time and not that easy to reproduce with the Maker.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Always welcome.
    Even new ideas that aren't in the guide yet, and someone making a new RPG might want to know / find out.

I'm wondering if some puzzles, or stuff from lufia might be interesting to investigate.
    Here's one for ya: Enable/disable saving so that it works only on the world map. And also enable/disable the use of a Tent item.

Example: In my project you can save/use tents at save points and world map only.

Both aren't quite so obvious to event out, and are basics for most RPG's.

The only problem here is...I made the events so long ago..I CANT REMEMBER HOW I DID IT (so I'd need to refresh myself). I just copy/paste the save points now XD

As for puzzles, start them off with something basic: like combination locks. Example: A chest requires the code "1528" to open, any other code will not work.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saving is easy. You can disable or enable the Save menu for each map. Just disable it on every map except the world map. Then put down save points at the locations you want.

I am actually working on a translation of the linked game right now. Would someone help me? I will probably be able to translate everything (will still take quite some time because of other games, even though the game is quite short), but I am pretty sure the grammar will be horrible. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Saving is easy. You can disable or enable the Save menu for each map. Just disable it on every map except the world map. Then put down save points at the locations you want.

I am actually working on a translation of the linked game right now. Would someone help me? I will probably be able to translate everything (will still take quite some time because of other games, even though the game is quite short), but I am pretty sure the grammar will be horrible. xD
    Saving is easy, still requires use of an event though (seriously, it should all be on the map properties...)

The tent item thing, though, is a lot more confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for puzzles, start them off with something basic: like combination locks. Example: A chest requires the code "1528" to open, any other code will not work.
    That would be a good lesson on variables, especially if you use your own graphics for inputting the number. It would also be a good lesson on digits and basic math to determine the number inputted. I used to get questions all the time about how to put 'digits' together to equal an actual number. For example say that you have the player enter one number at a time, and each number is tracked with a different variable. People would always ask how to put all of those variables together to make a number. Quite simple but I guess it can be tricky at first.

Say the number has 4 digits and the correct answer is: 8736

When the player enters the first digit it is recorded as a variable in the thousands. Inputting 1 records 1000 to the variable. Inputting 2 records 2000 to the variable, etc.

When the player enters the second digit it is recorded in the hundreds. Inputting 1 records 100 to the variable. Inputting 2 records 200 to the variable, etc.

When the player enters the third digit it is recorded in the tens. Inputting 1 records 10 to the variable. Inputting 2 records 20 to the variable, etc.

When the player enters the fourth digit it is recorded in the ones. Inputting 1 records 1 to the variable. Inputting 2 records 2 to the variable, etc.

Then you just add them all together. When the player inputs 8 he gets 8000. When he inputs 7 he gets 700. When he inputs 3 he gets 30. When he inputs 6 he gets 6. Add them all and you get your answer: 8736.

...........I am rambling and making no sense. Maybe an actual tutorial would be better. I'll work on it when I'm less lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    ...........I am rambling and making no sense. Maybe an actual tutorial would be better. I'll work on it when I'm less lazy.

Sadly it made a lot of sense. Then again it reminds me of programming back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Puzzles definitly. Probably some easy stuff like moving objects for example. The Lufia puzzles are somewhat complex most of the time and not that easy to reproduce with the Maker.
    I definitely won't see the WMDT puzzle reproduced anytime soon, but clearing a 3x3 box of bushes, or putting 3 boxes on switches in the right order - might be cool.
    Then again, to pick up and shove boxes - that's a whole new event on it's own, as would a jumping player.
    Hence the interest. It's on my list, but feel free to dig around before i get a chance to do so - unlike the last few days, I've got a very busy shedule next week, so game-time will be on short supply.

Anyway,. Pressure plates and movable objects tutorial added for now.

Here's one for ya: Enable/disable saving so that it works only on the world map. And also enable/disable the use of a Tent item.
    Example: In my project you can save/use tents at save points and world map only.
    Both aren't quite so obvious to event out, and are basics for most RPG's.

The only problem here is...I made the events so long ago..I CANT REMEMBER HOW I DID IT (so I'd need to refresh myself). I just copy/paste the save points now XD

The tent item isn't in the game by default, so you'd have to make it first. (F9 screen -> Items)
    Also, you'd need to make a "common event", and have it give the innkeeper screen (e.g. would you like to save, yes, no : open save screen)
    In the properties of the tent item you can then call this common event.
    To remove global saving you can remove the "add_save_command" from the script -> windows -> window_menucommand.
    Enabling / disabling the tent item common event, could be done with a global variable probably (haven't tried it yet). As soon as you enter the world map from anywhere, just set a new switch "allow tent item usage". - would need to test it,. but that's my idea on it so far.
    You can also just add the "show save screen" to innkeepers for example and forget the tent.

Added some coverage on this in chapter 11 (started using numbers now since the list is getting long)
    I didn't manage to find any simple way of disabling the tent in certain areas - aside adding a big script.
    Last edited by bbr; 2014-06-06 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Hmm, still can't get VX to work. I tried clicking on ''Manage Project'', and it just doesn't respond. To Google, I guess....
    Well, I went to a family member's house, connected to the internet, and launched VX, and it works flawlessly. Interesting. Maybe it requires an internet connection the first time you use it or something...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Sadly it made a lot of sense. Then again it reminds me of programming back in the day
    It's funny how programming works sometimes. The answer to your problem is usually incredibly simple but it can keep you searching for hours.

I remember the first time I made an action CBS (custom battle system for those of you who don't remember the old RPG Maker terms). I for the life of my could not figure out how to make a hitbox. I tried so many things, like adding coordinates together to see if the sum equaled your targets coordinates or trying to force an invisible event to stay in front of you.

All that time wasted for the most simple answer in the world: if x = x and y = y, then you hit. Well, it was more complicated than that (different lengths for different weapons etc) but that's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's funny how programming works sometimes. The answer to your problem is usually incredibly simple but it can keep you searching for hours.
    Omg, *shudders* the horrors of bugging was. I remember working on a few projects for school and it kept giving me an error. It gave an idea what it was but not enough to make it easier to pinpoint. I remember printing it out scanning every line and going through it about 10 times only to find out I forgot a ; or something else that was so stupidly simple I wanted to just go crazy.

Then as you said there's always the one where you are debugging it and again spending hours only to find out there was a way to do it that was so simple and much easier.

Added 12. Shooting fireballs.
    Not 100% happy with it yet though, as it's got some bugs.

If anyone has an idea what I'm doing wrong - please let me know so we can update it

Also added 13. Weather effects and fogs.
    Which was quick and simple.
    Last edited by bbr; 2014-06-07 at 09:17 AM.

I've been searching for a couple of things, because I suck at coding from scratch.

A way to add the name of the character speaking above the dialogue box instead of inside it. I've seen screenshots, but can't figure out how to script it in myself.

I also want to set how much XP is need to level up. I really want a set 1000xp per level (like FF8) and I want a linear stat gain instead of exponential. I've been searching like crazy but to no avail.

So I started toying with the app, and it's pretty fun and user-friendly (at least, compared to what I'm used to). Thanks a lot for your guide!

1.) I want to have an NPC block a path, and ask the user if they're ready for battle. If no, they don't move. If yes, they move to the right one space, enabling the user to move past them. I know how to do the conditional options and such, but I can't figure out how to get the NPC to move after the conditional. Do I combine your section 8 with 5? Come to think of it, I hadn't gotten to number 8 yet, heh.

2.) Is it possible to have a user input the desired name for each party member?

I haven't messed around with it much, so it may be obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So I started toying with the app, and it's pretty fun and user-friendly (at least, compared to what I'm used to). Thanks a lot for your guide!

1.) I want to have an NPC block a path, and ask the user if they're ready for battle. If no, they don't move. If yes, they move to the right one space, enabling the user to move past them. I know how to do the conditional options and such, but I can't figure out how to get the NPC to move after the conditional. Do I combine your section 8 with 5? Come to think of it, I hadn't gotten to number 8 yet, heh.

2.) Is it possible to have a user input the desired name for each party member?

I haven't messed around with it much, so it may be obvious...
    The first one should work something like this:

You can see it's triggered by player touch. You'll also want to switch the event off after choosing yes. Hard to code that part without knowing exactly what you're going for.

I've done your second request but removed it. There are some great tutorial videos on youtube, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Hard to code that part without knowing exactly what you're going for.
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try this out very shortly. I'm doing this to warn the player that they're going to be encountering enemies once they leave the beginning map. I've positioned the character so that the player cannot advance without selecting the correct dialog option. I'm on my laptop or I'd screenshot it and show you. In effect, it's just a friendly warning to the player when they just start out.