Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Wait... Is no flying really a thing?

I keep hearing from random people that warlords isn't going to have flying... I haven't been able to find a concrete "Absolute no flying this time around" anywhere but having unsubbed since the start of cata this is one of a few things that make me want to come back to the game. I never really liked the flying in WoW. For me it always destroyed the sense of exploration the world offered me. Is this something that is really happening or is this just people getting upset and over exaggerating?

Its not confirmed yet, i wonder if they'll announce at blizzcon prob be a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I keep hearing from random people that warlords isn't going to have flying... I haven't been able to find a concrete "Absolute no flying this time around" anywhere but having unsubbed since the start of cata this is one of a few things that make me want to come back to the game. I never really liked the flying in WoW. For me it always destroyed the sense of exploration the world offered me. Is this something that is really happening or is this just people getting upset and over exaggerating?
    Warlords will be like every single other xpac, in which there is no flying in current content.

LK was the same, MoP was the same. (although you did technically get to fly while you were 90 in 5.0.)

They have not decided if it will be no flying completely yet, that will depend on player reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarglord69 View Post
    Its not confirmed yet, i wonder if they'll announce at blizzcon prob be a riot.
    Ah... What I have been able to find about this expansion has made me feel like I will enjoy this game again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    Warlords will be like every single other xpac, in which there is no flying in current content.

LK was the same, MoP was the same. (although you did technically get to fly while you were 90 in 5.0.)

They have not decided if it will be no flying completely yet, that will depend on player reaction.
    Its not that. I just didn't like flying at all. It made the world feel so much smaller. I guess I liked when the world felt huge and flight paths took forever... made it feel like a world and not just a game map.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    I too will use this open opportunity to say that no flying is fucking stupid. Granted, I highly doubt that I will come back for WoD. All of the unnecessary and lame changes put me off, no flying being a big leverage by itself. They will shoot themselves in the foot and loose a big chunk of subs if they do confirm/annouce no flying. They'll still have the largest sub base anyway due to the hardcore coughaddictedcough players will stick around until they pull the plug on the servers.

Wanting no flying like the good old days, is like saying "I hate indoor plumbing. I miss having to shit in the woods. Toilets are for casuals."

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    I too will use this open opportunity to say that no flying is fucking stupid. Granted, I highly doubt that I will come back for WoD. All of the unnecessary and lame changes put me off, no flying being a big leverage by itself. They will shoot themselves in the foot and loose a big chunk of subs if they do confirm/annouce no flying. They'll still have the largest sub base anyway due to the hardcore coughaddictedcough players will stick around until they pull the plug on the servers.

Wanting no flying like the good old days, is like saying "I hate indoor plumbing. I miss having to shit in the woods. Toilets are for casuals."
    I wouldn't compare no flying to Shrub VS Toilet.
    I would compare something along the lines of no auto loot to Shrub VS Toilet.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't going to allow any flying until 6.1, if then.

They're doing so because... well, it's hard to say. If timeless isle is anything to go off of, it's because they want everyone to be constantly accosted by pointless enemies and expend more time doing menial tasks
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I want no flying because it just makes the world feel so much smaller and dull. Not because of "the good old days", I actually hate those days to be honest with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Flying makes the world feel small"

yeah, because Outland was soooo "Small", same with Northrend, that continent was really "Small" /sarcasm

and the world feeling dull is Blizzard sucking at making an interesting world, it had nothing to do with flying (since in earlier expacs, in which the world wasn't dull, we also had flying)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post

yeah, because Outland was soooo "Small", same with Northrend, that continent was really "Small" /sarcasm

and the world feeling dull is Blizzard sucking at making an interesting world, it had nothing to do with flying (since in earlier expacs, in which the world wasn't dull, we also had flying)
    the dullness of the world hasn't changed during xpac it's still as interesting as it's always been

I wouldn't really mind the absence of flying for the entirety of WoD, for the same reasons I hated the portal hub for Cataclysm zones during Cata. It made the world feel small and I firmly believe that it hurt the games sense of an open world. I was a big fan of how Thundering Isle and Timeless Isle made playing on a 2D plane interesting, and it brought me back to the old days when travelling with a group meant a big pack of players, not a bunch of invisible flying mounts in the sky.

But that is my own opinion, I know others feel differently about it and that's cool
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account

They both became small when you got flying mounts that would let you skip all the world basically... The only way I would want flying mounts back is as a skin for flight paths and basically a portable flight path with a few seconds casting time

It's "semi confirmed" (tweets from devs) that there's no flying planner for the first period (patch?) but not decided for later patches in WoD. Regardless there's positive and negative reasons with both sides.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

15+ Year Old Account
    They will most likely going to wait and see what people think of no flying then see if people like it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account

Oh no need for sarcasm, you're spot on.

Compare the soaring cliffs of northrend to the flat boring expanses of outland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    They both became small when you got flying mounts that would let you skip all the world basically... The only way I would want flying mounts back is as a skin for flight paths and basically a portable flight path with a few seconds casting time
    If I want to "skip the world," then the world obviously isn't worth "doing."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, cata was pretty dull

and don't you always hear about people complaining how other people just sit in org/sw all day?
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

they lost 5000 subs per day for 3 years BECAUSE they catered to the "i want it all now" crowd and now, that crowd is going faster than they're being replaced. hopefully they picked off as much of them as they could while they could and they'll get back to their roots but i'm not seeing it in WOD so far

-It is NOT being removed.

-You will not be able to buy a flying license for Draenor at launch though (this is confirmed, I'd pretty much say it's a certainty this will happen short of an embarrassing retraction from Blizzard).

-You may be able to buy one in the first patch (this is what was originally stated, but I think they're not 100% on this).

-Regardless, by that point you will have done most of the launch content and the next endgame area (Fahralon - current day Netherstorm) will be open, or soon to be open, where undoubtedly you won't be able to fly either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, cata was pretty dull
    People didn't really complain about cataclysm leveling until after the fact. Beyond "omg vash'jir was soooo hard to move around in" and "I want SERIOUS GRIMDARK quests, not fun silly quests!" in uldum, I don't recall many dissenting voices on Cataclysm's world.

and don't you always hear about people complaining how other people just sit in org/sw all day?
    I make very little note of the opinions of those who make a point of it to care about what others are doing when it doesn't affect them in the slightest.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    They lost 5000 subs per day for 3 years (citation needed) because:

They removed "old" content that was still enjoyed (Cata)
    They made buggy content (T11)
    Repetitive boring content (molten front dailies)
    Insipid, watered down content (4.1)
    Content which was of a lower standard of quality (DS, 4.1)
    While having massive delays between content (DS, 4.1)

If they wanted to go back to their roots, they would bring back *shudder* attunement quest chains that span multiple dungeons, while having gear that requires hours of grinding world mobs to attain the reagents to craft it.

Lets just say, thank goodness they aren't trying to get back to their roots

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "omg vash'jir was soooo hard to move around in"
    going slightly off topic here, but i never felt vash'jir was particularly difficult to move around in, seeing as how they give you that seahorse which is as fast as a 310% flying mount