Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    I agree, but then how did we defeat Malygos and Kelthud? We did that on our own....
    Keep in mind that not every fight in game accurately represents how the lore is supposed to have gone down. Malygos was taken down by a team of adventurers. Yes, he was powerful, but he was also highly screwed up in the head at the time. I would gather that the overall impression is supposed to be that he was somewhat weakened from having the Reds constantly in his face for some time as well.

Kel'thuzad? If that's who you meant. He was gifted for a lich, but a lich is still just an resurrected mage and they are not all powerful by themselves.

Those are just my interpretations though. Blizzard has been known to make mistakes and often doesn't fully flesh out the lore of the lesser villains. I'd certainly say that Malygos is an example of that as they were so focused on Arthas for the whole expansion, that other parts didn't really get the treatment they deserved.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

glorified cannon fodder

I killed Illidan. I killed Arthas.

I was then slain by a lvl 81 Wild Boar while leveling shortly thereafter.

Interpret as you will.

Deleted
    We're essentially excellent mercenaries for hire who's only affiliation is tied to their respective faction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post

Interpret as you will.
    You suffered severe PTSD after enduring the horrors of Outland and Northrend, thus laying your life at the mercy of nature. Nature was swift.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    glorified cannon fodder
    Nah, bruh, I was chosen to be the wielder of Quel'Delar. Not fodder.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post

Interpret as you will.
    Love this. But pretty much yeah. You can't take in game examples and expect them to be accurate. I feel the most accurate example of our power in game (contradiction I know) is the fact that the Lich King basically got tired of us and murdered our faces. Why? because we are strong, yes, but even 25 of us are still nothing to him.

Also, i like to keep in mind that our "raids" in lore would probably consist of a a number closer to 100 heroes or more. I fully expect that if the game represented a raid accurately it would be more like this.

-A lore hero gathers a bunch of volunteers (lets say 50 to 100)

-Those heroes raid a place like Icecrown.

-By the time we get to Arthas there are only maybe 25 of us left alive.

-We fight for our lives but mainly support the lore hero.

Basically, I consider us capable of handling the adds in a large battle while the real hero handles the raid boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    Nah, bruh, I was chosen to be the wielder of Quel'Delar. Not fodder.
    You too brah! Looks like we are both heroes.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    We aren't really anything special or out of the ordinary, just very good at what we do. We are the elite of the elite soldiers of the Alliance and Horde.

Also, I mean:

We couldn't kill Kil'Jaeden (who I consider to be BC's "main" fight) without the help of other much more powerful npc's.

The Lich King killed all of us in one blow, we needed Tirion's help to kill him.

And don't even get me started on deathwing... We didn't do shit to him except take off some scales (or metal slabs, if you will...).

Garrosh is the only one where we really did most of the work, and it made sense too since he was just a very strong orc with the power of Y'Saarg.
    Last edited by Nearmyth; 2014-06-03 at 09:29 PM.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

Considering it always takes 10 to 25 of us to fight most enemies one-on-one, and given our strength 1v1 against say, a faction leader... I'm gonna say we're better than average, but we're not even close to being on par with the heroes of lore.

Deleted
    Arthas - Defeated us, easily. Was defeated by the Ashbringer and the souls of those he murdered.

Deathwing - Took 4 dragon aspects, thrall and one of the most powerful weapons ever forged to defeat.

Illidan - one of the only ones id say us defeating is actually questionable, though Maiev and Akama are probably powerful enough to get it done.

Kiljaeden - was only partly summoned and thus only at a fraction of his true power, we did not defeat him, we were there to hold him back from fully coming through the portal before Aveena sacrificed herself to turn the power of the Sunwell against him, dragging him back through to where he came from.

Ragnaros in MC - greatly weakened.

Ragnaros in Firelands - Would of fucked us up without the help of the 3 druids of doom.

Kelthuzad - not canonically that powerful, no issue here.

Malygos - ive seen people here say we beat malygos on our own......you mean except for the help of TWENTY FIVE RED DRAGONS.

So for all the complaining that we shouldnt be able to beat these beings, We very very very rarely do it alone or without overwhelming help.
    Last edited by mmocc5d9fa5936; 2014-06-03 at 09:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyavi View Post
    Arthas - Defeated us, easily. Was defeated by the Ashbringer and the souls of those he murdered.

Deathwing - Took 4 dragon aspects, thrall and one of the most powerful weapons ever forged to defeat.

Illidan - one of the only ones id say us defeating is actually questionable, though Maiev and Akama are probably powerful enough to get it done.

Kiljaeden - was only partly summoned and thus only at a fraction of his true power, we did not defeat him, we merely prevented him from fully coming through the portal before Aveena sacrificed herself to turn the power of the Sunwell against him, dragging him back through to where he came from.

Ragnaros in MC - greatly weakened.

Ragnaros in Firelands - Would of fucked us up without the help of the 3 druids of doom.

Kelthuzad - not canonically that powerful, no issue here.

Malygos - ive seen people here say we beat malygos on our own......you mean except for the help of TWENTY FIVE RED DRAGONS.

So for all the complaining that we shouldnt be able to beat these beings, We very very very rarely do it alone or without overwhelming help.
    Garrosh imbued with old god powers - All us. Although Norushen did make sure we were all humble bundles before we fought him. And his overwhelming hubris.

Man, we are either really lucky or useless.

You ever heard of Ciaphas Cain from the 40k universe? We're on his level. That means we get to kill a lot of strong enemies, but lorewise it is mostly thanks to cooperation, luck, and every other possible circumstance. In every fight we go, we are basically the ones who everybody expects will die, but we still manage to come back victorious.

Some of the burden can be explained if you subscribe to that theory, that it was different characters at different times. For example, let's say that my orc warrior kicked ass during vannila, then retired and opened a bar in some backwater nobody ever knows by name. Then, my blood elf paladin razed the heaven and hell for the time of the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. After that, the blood knight had enough of war, retired to Silvermoon where he is teaching philosophy to the adepts of the Blood Knight order. And from there on took over blood elf death knight and blood elf warrior. They helped out in Cataclysm, and the warrior was later drafted into the first wave of invasion on Pandaria. I call it distribution of power.

Even if the most things I ever did was with my Blood Elf Paladin, I share the achievements between them. In my opinion, it makes it much more believable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rescued bunnies from fire. I helped bear cubs out of trees. I collected bat poop in Razorfen Kraul. I am the greatest hero!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I rescued bunnies from fire. I helped bear cubs out of trees. I collected bat poop in Razorfen Kraul. I am the greatest hero!
    Bahahahahahahahaaaa....yes. yes you are. OT, I have an internal history on my 3 Toons, that help with "suspension of disbelief) You know, my NE hunter bonded with his pet 3000 years ago hence Nature demigod, my DK bonded with a green dragon at the closing of Ahn Qruaj(gad my spelling), etc...things that say, yeeeeah i had just enuff powah. but, yeah were probably just lucky Leroys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Strong, but I've always viewed wipes as the boss killing hundreds of faction champions before he's eventually brought down.
    Like little pygmies taking down an elephant with blow darts

We're the get-shit-done-ers. We rise to the occasion when called upon Every. Single. Time.

If the major lore characters are on the Superman/Thor/Hulk side of the scale we'll be around Captain America/most-of-the-X-men's kind of level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Strong, but I've always viewed wipes as the boss killing hundreds of faction champions before he's eventually brought down.
    I've always viewed it as "Game Over" screens, which means that it's a parallel reality that didn't happen in the canonical one. When you finally down a boss I view that as the canonical approach to the fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    We're probably quite close to the level of the various miscellaneous named characters. The faction leaders know us by name, but we're not exactly best buds. A bit like say, Gazlowe, or Eitrigg. The difference is we have been out in the world and not cultivating our political prowess, so we haven't been placed into positions of authority. After the interference by Wrathion, it was made quite clear that there are individuals in the world with the power to sway events, if not directly the way Thrall would, indirectly by destroying a lot of the threats that exist between named NPCs and the last boss.

I guess close to faction leaders. Sylvie is a skilled dark ranger, but she was taken down by a single slug to the head.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Would depend largely on the class and race in question. For gameplay reasons they're all relatively the same, but a draenei paladin is probably a lot more powerful than a tauren paladin, or an orc warrior is a lot stronger than a gnome warrior, or a blood elf mage would run circles around an orc mage.