Page 1 of 92
... LastLast

The $15 minimum wage...

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/1440...-big-fat-told/

I can see the problem easily with $15/hr min wage. But I can also see how difficult it is to get a full time job now, on top of making enough period to be able to live on your own. At my fairly decent job making $11/hr part time, I would not be able to live in an apartment that is not falling apart or bug infested as well as be able to buy food. The only way I get by right now is because my roommate makes more than I do with full time.

Figure my take home wages at about $1100/mo. deficits being utilities at 100, rent at 600, food is 300 at the bare minimum (practically fasting most days), gas at 60 and phone at 40. So starving myself I can barely make enough to cover basic bills, provided nothing happens to my car, gas prices don't raise, I never have to use TP or soap at my house etc. I could save rent money by living in one of the literally roach infested or literally falling apart complexes I found when looking for affordable apartments... but something like that should not be asked of this countries citizens, especially ones with perfect credit and fantastic job history by the age of 25/26. I only live in as much supposed comfort (internet and a small bit of spending money) because of my mate who shares a 650sq/ft 1 bed 1 bath apartment with me.

Honestly my only real opinion is that minimum wage should have a scaling to it based off company income, because we both know walmart can afford to give its employees a touch more than minimum wage, but mom and pops ice cream stand can't. In an ideal world everyone can have a good chance to work full time and be able to support themselves with full time work as well as put a little away for retirement or (god forbid) a little enjoyment of life. How it is now clearly shows that bigger (and even smaller) companies will put as much back into their own pocket as they can get away with, and current version of minimum wage hurts small businesses the most.

I am not certain if my idea would work or not, or how it could be implemented fairly at that. The only thing I do know, is that in the current American society, it is only a matter of time before cost of living has to balance out with personal income or serious problems are going to arise.

Any thoughts on the subject anyone? Or possibly other information to think about?

Deleted
    In Belgium we have something called the index, what it does is (roughly explained, its kinda complex) it ties the wages to the inflation, wich means that when prices go up, wages follow automaticly, aswell as the minimum wage (and the welfare living wage).

They should have done the increase more graduatly so the local economy had time to cach up, in hindsight its obviously easier said then done.

A Libertarian Think Tank publishing a whiney blog post about minimum wage?

Fucking shocking.

And yup, there it is, suggesting that the amount of people a business employees is based on the minimum wage, and that if we lower it to 0 it would be wonderful for everyone.

This was all destroyed in the previous minimum wage thread which descended into name calling by one side as they were continually given actual information about how an increase in minimum wage doesn't decrease employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

The minimum wage is part of a very broad issue relating to America's slide into something more like Oligarchy. You can't really solve poverty by dealing only with the minimum wage no matter how much you raise it, you have to put a leash on the rich that are grinding Americans into pauperism and you need to get control of the government back into the hands of the people. Until you do at least this you're looking at putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

Deleted
    My wage in my country is more 4x lower than your minimal wage, i don't know what you're bitching about.
    Yeah and don't give me that but you have cheaper stuff bullshit.
    Example 199USD saitek hotas (that i want) cost here only 214EUR. Fuck yeah! 4x less money 20-50% higher costs, now that's what i call living on torment 1 difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    The only thing I do know, is that in the current American society, it is only a matter of time before cost of living has to balance out with personal income or serious problems are going to arise.
    Ya there's been this time tested method to avoiding that, its called getting a better job.

And how do you get a better job?

Well one of the ways is ...you don't become the type of person that walks around convinced you DESERVE $25/hr for flipping burgers.

Said it before, saying it again ...THE MINIMUM WAGE IS NOT A LIVING WAGE AND ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Said it before, saying it again ...THE MINIMUM WAGE IS NOT A LIVING WAGE AND ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!
    That's to a degree the conversation that needs to happen: is the minimum wage a "living wage" or is it the wage floor set by regulations so workers aren't exploited. In other words the minimum value of a hour of unskilled labor.

Most of Europe has decided that their minimum wage should be a "living wage". The USA hasn't decided yet, as a whole. Some places like Washington and California have decided it is a Living Wage. Most other states haven't made the decision and have punted to the Federal Government. The Federal government has been stuck in gridlock for 4 years, so no help there.

My take on it: the guy I work with with and I were talking about the minimum wage a few weeks ago.

I said I could see an increase in the minimum wage to $10 an hour, simply to keep pace with inflation, since the last time it was raised was 2009, however I would be hesitant to increase it further because I would rather see wage growth come from increased skills and useful training and education rather than just leaning on the government to tell your employer what you are worth.

He said that from his perspective the minimum wage is too low only if two people both earning the minimum wage, working full time hours, living together in the same household (roommates, married, BF/GF, etc) can't make it.
    Last edited by Raeph; 2014-06-04 at 12:50 PM.

Deleted
    Then what is it supposed to be ? A wage that kills you slowly with poverty?

Any form of labour should be able to pay for a living. Otherwise its slavery.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya there's been this time tested method to avoiding that, its called getting a better job.

Well one of the ways is ...you don't become the type of person that walks around convinced you DESERVE $25/hr for flipping burgers.

The minimum wage was established in 1938 by FDR.

He said, "“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country."

Can we stop pretending that minimum wage is NOT supposed to be a living wage please?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    The minimum wage was established in 1938 by FDR.

He said, "“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country."

Can we stop pretending that minimum wage is NOT supposed to be a living wage please?
    But then people who have a better paying job can't pretend that they work harder than people doing 12hour shifts for 5$ an hour anymore!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    But then people who have a better job can't pretend that they work harder than people doing 12hour shifts for 5$ an hour anymore!
    but but no, it´s because of the responsibility, unless shit hits the fan, then the ones that have the least responsibility get layed off first, but that´s not the same!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account

Patently untrue.

Also, individual solutions do not solve social problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

1. Yeah, because jobs are oh, so plentiful in this economy.

2. Suppose somehow, everyone magically gets these "better jobs" that are oh so abundant. Who do you expect to flip the burgers?

Maybe when you grow up, you'll realize that not everyone has mommy and daddy taking care of them. Maybe...

Anyhow, just quick glance at the linked article, these popped up:

Managers have taken more responsibilities on themselves, instead of hiring more workers.
    Businesses have laid off workers, or eliminated their plans to hire more.
    Anyone want to tell me why, if this is true, were people hired/being hired in the first place?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Yeah, Seattle's previously high (by comparison to the rest of the USA) minimum wage also brought them complete and total economic ruin.

Oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, Seattle's previously high (by comparison to the rest of the USA) minimum wage also brought them complete and total economic ruin.

Oh wait.
    Lolobscenepropertyprices.

I was fortunate enough to invest in a condominium while it was cheap.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Little mom and pop gyro place I used to go to is barely operating and the owner, his brother, and their wives run the show for the most part, since they can't afford too many employees (like 6-7). Jump the min wage to $15, and they are closing down. I imagine this would happen to thousands of these types of places around the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Little mom and pop gyro place I used to go to is barely operating and the owner, his brother, and their wives run the show for the most part, since they can't afford too many employees (like 6-7). Jump the min wage to $15, and they are closing down. I imagine this would happen to thousands of these types of places around the country.
    You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

Also, even if it were true, I don't find "we're a small business" an adequate excuse to not pay someone a living wage.

Except minimum wage has never been tied to massive job loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    They could raise their prices to compensate.

If their gyros aren't good enough to get people to pay a bit more, maybe they shouldn't be in business. Companies shouldn't be able to pay workers lower than a living wage just because it's convenient for their business model.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They could raise their prices to compensate.

If their gyros aren't good enough to get people to pay a bit more, maybe they shouldn't be in business. Companies shouldn't be able to pay workers lower than a living wage just because it's convenient for their business model.
    I wonder if they had these arguments during emancipation...

"Freeing the slaves will put small farmers out of business!"