Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    It's nice to see people making more of the content, by thinking out of the box a little. I know I couldn't do this, so kudos to him for finding something to work on!
    Responding to your post in the other thread;
    Everything we do in the community is for attention. We post on this forum for attention, you can't honestly tell me you post expecting nobody to read it. And if we post for attention, the extra stuff we "share" with the community is definitely for attention.

Whether or not this guy did this thing simply for himself and got stumbled upon midway is the question you can ask.

Just curious, but couldn't he have leveled a mage and way earlier used a portal out (then again not sure if you can learn any portal without a trainer)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    He deserves an achievement and some sort of official recognition, perhaps a formal post on the WoW website.

Anyways, Gratz to him! Can't imagine how many pet battles and minerals he mined to get that high level.
    I guess we should reward all botters. I say gratz to the dude, but if he gets rewarded in some official way it would be rather silly..
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2014-06-04 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    This is not human for someone to do same stuff over and over for more than a year for 8+hours per day.
    Sounds like most wage jobs.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesheen126 View Post
    Just curious, but couldn't he have leveled a mage and way earlier used a portal out (then again not sure if you can learn any portal without a trainer)
    Portals are faction specific too, so wouldn't have that either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I guess we should reward all botters. I say gratz to the dude, but if he gets rewarded in some official way it would be rather silly..
    I most likely don't think he will in anyways unless from his own friends/community but from Blizzard, no. They haven't rewarded others for things they have done, like the Horde/Alliance team levelling or pacifist levelling.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Blizzard should somehow allow him to stay neutral and play normally. I know its almost impossible,but leveling up to 89 using only minor professions like herbalism is worth the effort Blizzard would put into it.

They aren't going to make a title or feat of strength for literally ONE person.

However, I do expect they might add a NPC version of him somewhere. I guess it would be most appropriate on the wandering isle. And since MOP is kinda "over" i'm not sure they'll actually bother with it, but maybe.

Or perhaps they could put him somewhere else and have him be a neutral, unaffiliated panda just out in the world. Maybe he could sell Peacebloom, Silverleaf, and Copper Ore to both factions.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100000% sure.
    I have done Insane achievement 95% by hand and I know how boring and slow process it is.
    Well now imagine even slower and more boring process here with herbing all the way to level 90. I say he botted for 4-8 hours per day so he wouldn't be seen as bot. This is not human for someone to do same stuff over and over for more than a year for 8+hours per day.
    Yet, this happens every day. Work, studies and the likes.

It is a personal achievement
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    A) People being sure he's botting are missing the point, he's been doing this since 2012, don't you think Blizzard would've realized this by now?
    B) It's a game, he's enjoying himself and making a name for himself, I don't see why he needs professional help lol.
    C) Once he's finished, it's going to leave a massive void in his life, but at the same time... Dat accomplishment.
    a) if you change the way you bot every month or week (make new bot profiles) you are very very VERY VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY hard to detect for botting. It's almost impossible.
    b) he got idea from others and now he is trying to do something which hasn't been done before. Good for him, but using bots is not a good way to achieve stuff like that.
    c) when he is done, he will get 5 seconds of fame and then be forgotten.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yet, this happens every day. Work, studies and the likes.

It is a personal achievement
    Nobody do same stuff for 8+ hours per day. For 99% of people in those 8 hours are also included other activities.
    But let's try: go into wow and gather stuff by hand for 8 hours. Try for one day. Heck do it for few hours... I DARE YOU! Then come back and report being brain dead.

Most people you mentioned also do other stuff beside their work, like preparation for work, driving to work,...

Now imagine waking up in the morning, turn on computer and just gather herbs whole long day...

He used a bot period, it's a fact. Take it or not I don't care, but I assure that that kind of things are always automated. Nobody is stupid enough to do stuff like that by hand when it can get done with a bot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I posted this in a thread that got closed; I was curious just how much time it would take someone to do this so I started to do some napkin math.

The original poster assumed 5 seconds per gather and approximately 25 experience per herb. So going off that assumption:

Seeing as he started all the way back in September of 2012 (I'm going to make an assumption that this was on the day MoP was released, that could be wrong):

Amount of experience from level 1 to 90 (As taken from the XP chart available here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:XP_To_Level; This appears to be off as it hasn't been updated for 5.3, I'll see if I can get a more accurate number later): 149,375,400 XP
    149,375,400 XP / 25 XP per gather = 5,975,016 gathers to reach max level
    5,975,016 gathers x 5 seconds per gather = 29,875,080 seconds of gathering to reach max level

September 25th 2012 to June 4th 2014 = 617 days
    617 days x 24 hours = 14808 hours
    x 60 minutes = 888480 minutes
    x 60 seconds = 53,308,800 seconds
    /5 per gather time = 10,661,760 seconds
    / 60 seconds in a minute / 60 minutes in an hour / 24 hours in a day = approximately 124 days (rounded up)

Discounting September of 2012, there are a total of 21 months between his start date and today
    21 x 4 weeks = 84 weeks x 2 = 168 weekend days
    617 days - 168 weekend days = 449 work days
    449 work days x 24 hours = 10776 hours in work days
    449 work days x 16 (Work + sleep) hours = 7152 busy hours on work days
    10776 - 7152 = 3624 non-busy hours on work days

3624 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds = 13,046,400 seconds
    3624 hours / 24 hours in a day = 151 days
    168 weekend days x 16 non-busy hours (Accounting 8 hours of sleep) = 2688 non-busy weekend hours
    2688 non-busy weekend hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds = 9,676,680 non-busy weekend seconds
    13,046,400 seconds + 9,676,680 weekend seconds = 22,723,200 free seconds since September 2012

So we're short:

29,875,080 - 22,723,200 = 7,151,880 seconds
    / 60 seconds in a minute / 60 minutes in an hour / 24 hours in a day = approximately 83 days

Note that this is using the old experience numbers for 85-90 from pre-5.3. Those numbers were cut by about 33% since then. I'll add to this post if I find the new numbers. It also doesn't take into account the pet battle quests I heard he completed on different characters and turned in on his pandaren, which there are about 5 per day and have scaling XP based on level. This also assumes a consistent 8 hour work day every weekday, and a consistent 8 hours of sleep every day.

EDIT:: Found the accurate numbers for 5.3, and it's quite the difference. (http://wowpedia.org/Experience_to_level)

95,883,400 XP to max level (post 5.3) / 25 XP per gather = 3,835,336 gathers
    3,835,336 gathers x 5 seconds per gather = 19,176,680 seconds

Now we're ahead, leaving:

22,723,200 seconds of free time - 19,176,680 seconds to max level = 3,546,520 seconds
    / 60 seconds in a minute / 60 minutes in an hour / 24 hours = Approximately 42 days of free time left over. (Rounded up)
    Your math is totally wrong! You don't need only time for gathering but also running from node to node and searching new nodes to gather. When gathering/mining it's actually more than 50% of time just running around, heck with no mount it's 95% of time just running around and only 5% of time actually gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    They aren't going to make a title or feat of strength for literally ONE person.
    Leroy would like to have a word with you.

OT: This guy has patience and I'm wondering how Blizzard are going to react to him reaching 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Malky1691 View Post
    Leroy would like to have a word with you.
    The problem with that example is anyone can get it. You don't have to be Leroy Jenkins to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody do same stuff for 8+ hours per day. For 99% of people in those 8 hours are also included other activities.
    But let's try: go into wow and gather stuff by hand for 8 hours. Try for one day. Heck do it for few hours... I DARE YOU! Then come back and report being brain dead.
    A lot of people do the same stuff for more than 8 hours a day for years. I've grinded stuff for 8 hours straight on a few occasions, in games like WoW, Diablo, RS... Sure, you get tired, but it's not impossible, and a lot of people do much worse than that.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    The problem with that example is anyone can get it. You don't have to be Leroy Jenkins to get it.
    Nobody else could do this? Weird. When did Blizzard put the fix in for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    A lot of people do the same stuff for more than 8 hours a day for years. I've grinded stuff for 8 hours straight on a few occasions, in games like WoW, Diablo, RS... Sure, you get tired, but it's not impossible, and a lot of people do much worse than that.
    Hundreds of factories has their employees doing that too, so.. Hehe.

But aye, we all set for something. As I've said, most likely a personal goal or a bet from the player, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Good job reading the thread moron.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's not. He set out with a goal and is determined to achieve it. You clearly have no idea what addiction is. What a stupid post.

Infracted.
    Yes, a goal that results in the guy spending 170days over less than a 2 year period playing a game. Taking into account eating and sleeping, and the time he's spending on his main.... He must have played WoW for near the entirety of the last 2 years.

If that is not addiction then I don't know what it is, he has a goal and he's set out to beat it.. That doesn't change the reality of what that means in the real world.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Yes, a goal that results in the guy spending 170days over less than a 2 year period playing a game. Taking into account eating and sleeping, and the time he's spending on his main.... He must have played WoW for near the entirety of the last 2 years.

If that is not addiction then I don't know what it is, he has a goal and he's set out to beat it.. That doesn't change the reality of what that means in the real world.
    Well, 170 days over 2 years means he has spent about 35% of his waking hours on WoW. There have been periods when I've spent a lot more time than that on WoW to be honest.

The amount of time you spend on something is not what makes it an addiction. I spend 10-20 minutes per day smoking, I spend hours each day listening to music. Which one am I most likely to be addicted to?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

if they gave ppl achievements for this there would be an army of lvl 90 neutral pandas.

can u even kill them in pvp? what happens when u bg queue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    if they gave ppl achievements for this there would be an army of lvl 90 neutral pandas.

can u even kill them in pvp? what happens when u bg queue?
    You cannot queue for BGs since you aren't neither Alliance nor Horde.

He levels through battle pet queues

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    You cannot queue for BGs since you aren't neither Alliance nor Horde.
    hhahahaha wtf thats crazy. ive never made a pandaren because i cannot stand them, male or female. i want to check out the wandering isle though