Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hotted was testing rogue lvl 100 talents just now on twitch.tv, and it seems like the animation for DfA was updated a bit, difficult to see the difference, but I had to laugh every time he used it. He was using an undead male. His character looked like the ragdoll effects from a modded skyrim, just did a massive swirl up into the air and smashed down.

Also, if you read the tooltip carefully, it says 15 yards, so he could basically run away from a mob, jump high in the air, and "teleport" down on the mobs. I suppose this can be used as a small gapcloser, just like you suggested Murdeh.

As long as the aoe at the start doesn't break CC(and if they up the range to 20y), and you can't be CC'ed mid-air(like a warrior being stunned mid-charge still finishes the charge-ability), this could be a very viable PvP talent. Also, maybe the animation has to be tuned down a bit, really ragdoll-effect. Looked funny though, and hit pretty hard(8000 crit). Starting to get my hopes up for this talent at least.

Worth keeping in mind that he didn't get the evicerate at the end(it seemed,and this could also be the case with the video shown in this thread), and had to actually click the evicerate button when he landed. Seems to be a bit buggy at the moment; let's hope it isn't at launch.
    Last edited by Noorac; 2014-06-09 at 03:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    Shows us ignite weapon from the warrior class
    I wann see the hunter quiver one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Actually there is a consensus that Rogue animations can still have style but stay true to the Rogue class (eg FoK, Crimson Tempest).
    FoK makes no sense at all. Crimson tempest is generally useless too except for its spamability find rogues and it probably doesn't even do that nowadays.

Rogue aoe made more sense with blade flurry, or a throwable poison vial.

I actually miss the days when classes had weaknesses. Rogue couldn't aoe, but they sure could single target. Paladins couldn't sprint, mages were fragile, warriors had to switch stances ect, you needed a shaman for bloodlust ect. Sort of added complexity to the game and encouraged team work, but now everyone can do everything. I disagree with recuperate too, and all that crap that went with it.

But that's more of a game issue than a class issue, and I don't play any more because I only find rogues appealing, nothing else interests me. Rogues felt connected, you push a button, stuff happens, attacks are fast. You don't get that responsiveness or skillcap with other classes. Rogues can balance offensive and defensive uses for the same ability - that's why we used to shine. But we don't anymore because other classes can do the same with no trade off and bring better damage and control.

Man they are just phoning in this entire expansion...

The funny thing is I wager these animations are still more then Hunters will get it. I look forward to my slightly different coloured bullets for my lv 100 talent...

I wann see the hunter quiver one
    They said back when they showed the concept art they won't be around in WoD. Obviously because the art designers are all working their fingers to the bone with "jump up...then down". and "purple copy of you that falls over dead a few seconds later".
    Last edited by Torais; 2014-06-09 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    From DfA's description:
    "You whirl around" Doesn't look like the animation has the whirl yet. They could use the FoK animation.

Here's an alternative for DfA: After actually whirling, have the rogue jump vertically, disappear, then appear again while making a cross-strike on the way down. This could be done in way less frames than the current animation, which looks dumb on the way down - the player model looks stuck on the stabbing frame of the envenom/eviscerate, making for a very unnatural sequence.

Nothing to say about Shadow reflection though. I don't see how one can improve it, more particles (like the mage flair people are asking for) won't really add much.

But in the end it won't really matter, as we already know one of these will be slightly better than the others, making it the only choice for the majority of people. The rest of our talent tree remains a complete mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Noorac View Post
    Hotted was testing rogue lvl 100 talents just now on twitch.tv, and it seems like the animation for DfA was updated a bit, difficult to see the difference
    For others
    http://www.twitch.tv/hotted89/b/536893463
    He starts using it at 3 hours 12mins

You can see its animation little better than the one in the first post.
    Last edited by Wow; 2014-06-09 at 06:50 PM.

I didnt see anything from that link

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    To be honest: Something flashy or not has nothing to do with the class. It's an opinion you like or not, nothing more. Visual (and audio) feedback is very important for the gameplay feeling.

Good examples: Tera, Darksiders I+II, Aion, GW2
    Bad examples: Rift, Warhammer Online, WoW (partial), Allods Online
    I'd say it's pretty subtle, it's not like he's glowing or anything. He's jumping up and hitting down like a ninja.

Also most of the complains in this specific thread is not constructive feedback. Saying you don't like it and it looks bad but not why doesn't help much. How would you change Death from Above's animation, or any rogue abilities for that matter? What adjustments would you make? Calling people who whine with opinions are not useful. They are just whiny.
    I like the visual for Shadow Reflection. DfA though needs its animation sped up though.
    This guy provides constrictive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    Looks like total shit. Glad I didn't pre-order WoD yet.
    This is not anything remotely constructive.

Neither is the majority of this post. If you think something requires attention, report it. Otherwise, just let it go. -Kael
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-06-10 at 08:39 PM.

Actually there is a consensus that Rogue animations can still have style but stay true to the Rogue class (eg FoK, Crimson Tempest).
    They can do all kinds of things with shadows. DfA could be that your shadow splits into 20 parts, the parts jump in the air, and collapse like daggers onto the targets. Or a reverse FoK--where blades are tossed up in the air and rain down on the target.

Klling spree could involve a bunch of copies of us all appearing all over the place while we stand still and continue our rotation. Seeming to be in many places at once would be very rogue-like.

Any kind of green, poison animations are absolutely logical for us. Envenom could send poison splattering out of the target.

Drawing blood from the target might lead to our "shadow" so instead we get a figure of solid blood from our target.

Really think shadowstep should simply steal nightcrawler-like animations from the x-men movies: a lingering shadow remains behind where the rogue once teleported.

What makes me upset about this was that Greg Street brought up this very conversation: rogues animations are fairly dull. So it's not like they weren't thinking about this forever and to then release new, cool mage animations... Well, we can only sigh. It's just alpha, so, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Demeia View Post
    What makes me upset about this was that Greg Street brought up this very conversation: rogues animations are fairly dull. So it's not like they weren't thinking about this forever and to then release new, cool mage animations... Well, we can only sigh. It's just alpha, so, yeah.
    Yeah, seriously... when I saw those new mage animations my first thought was 'omg those actually look awesome... and we get a jump' followed by 'thats probably going to make it even harder to see shit in melee with those exploding on the boss'. So pretty much hit my 2 big visual issues at once. Ours are lame, and my screen is constantly horribly cluttered by the flashy animations of everyone else.

The animations look way better in Hotted's video. I was disappointed by DFA until I saw it on Hotted's livestream, I really hope It's gonna be worth taking over Venom Zest/Shadow Reflection because it looks so damn amazing but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdeh View Post
    Everyone complains about the animations and the rogue class, but no one offers solutions or improvements. Anyone who tries to generally gets shot down and dismissed, because no one can agree that rogues should change, or how they should change.
    People provided pages and pages of feedback, comments, concerns and ideas during MoP beta and we got nothing but platitudes. Oh, and Shadow Walk and Shadow Blades, two of the most iconic and well-crafted animations and effects the rogue class has ever seen. /sarc

And at least on these forums there's at least a thread a week going on about what people would like to see changed. So there's that.

FWIW, I was imagining something graphically similar to the Demon Hunter ultimate from Heroes of the Storm, a short range teleport to the target, and then a shadow crash type effect from above for the impact (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umN3U0ow1mw but a single crash rather than a row).

We'll have to see if the new Blade Flurry look is on activation or active as long as BF is active (my guess is the former), but it does look rather shiny.

For Shadow Reflection, there's a whole wide world of effects that could be added, minor glyphs that change their armor / races, grow larger than a regular character when it finally activates and attacks (it'd be easier for the rogue to pick out their buddy helping out), depending on your spec it could have different coloration (dripping poison from their blades for Mut, for combat large swords / warglaives , sub could have cloak of shadows effect when active).
    Last edited by SynergyDarkstar; 2014-06-10 at 12:19 AM. Reason: added SR ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    The truth of the matter is, you have no proof for this and are just generating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by SynergyDarkstar View Post

We'll have to see if the new Blade Flurry look is on activation or active as long as BF is active (my guess is the former), but it does look rather shiny.
    Its just on activation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    The animations look way better in Hotted's video. I was disappointed by DFA until I saw it on Hotted's livestream, I really hope It's gonna be worth taking over Venom Zest/Shadow Reflection because it looks so damn amazing but I doubt it.

I agree, it does seem to look much nicer when used from a distance instead of on top of the target where it's straight up and down.

Using DfA as a gap closer seems like a bad idea since you lose out on part of the potential damage of it. As for all the aoe abilities I've been seeing it seems the the most lack luster by far. The fact that warriors essentially get a double blade storm seems awesome compared to the piddling little damage that DfA would provide comparatively.

I must be one of the few... while I want our abilities to look cool I really don't care about big flashy graphics since I'm rarely looking at my character and it just adds to the on screen clutter. That and well, it's pretty rare to actually be looking at your character to see fancy graphics added to your abilities.

I too don't care about flashy graphics but DfA has potential to be so much more. Making it do shadow damage, or having shadowy animations would make for a greater effect. But as I suggested before the animation needs to be sped up because hanging in the air doesn't look right for a class that doesn't have wings. Female Undead Eviscerate has the right speed where it is acrobatic but still makes sense for the Rogue class.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    For others
    http://www.twitch.tv/hotted89/b/536893463
    He starts using it at 3 hours 12mins

You can see its animation little better than the one in the first post.
    There's no difference. They haven't updated it since. Re-watch the second video I posted of DfA. You can see the same effects.

The blood effects are there if you have combo points on the target and then use it versus no combo points at all. It's the exact same animation.
    Last edited by Spazzodin; 2014-06-10 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
    I must be one of the few... while I want our abilities to look cool I really don't care about big flashy graphics since I'm rarely looking at my character and it just adds to the on screen clutter. That and well, it's pretty rare to actually be looking at your character to see fancy graphics added to your abilities.
    Actually, the more "flashy" and distinct animations you have, the less cluttered your screen will be. If every single ability in the game had a distinct and somewhat eyecatching animation, you could run the game in alt+z mode and still know exactly what was going on. This is given that you know the color/animation/sound of every ability in the game. I for one, play with all my actionbars hidden, relying on visual and audio feedback to know that an ability activated properly. I don't normally keep my eyes on my character. In cases like shadow blades, the sound is distinct enough to tell me it is active. In cases like blind, I actually need to look at my character to see that my finger turns white for a split second to know it activated.

Asking for distinct and eyecatching animations seem fair to me, and it allows me to keep playing the games without actionbars visible, i.e. my screen is less cluttered.

The blood effects are there if you have combo points on the target and then use it versus no combo points at all. It's the exact same animation.
    This should probably be directed at me, as I was the one claiming the slight change in animation. I rewatched both hotted's video and the one you posted and I realized it wasn't updated.
    Last edited by Noorac; 2014-06-10 at 04:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

From this perspective it actually does look kinda cool.