Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's going on with battle pets?

So breeding's out. Will they be epic? Raised level caps? Teachable abilities? Anything new?

Deleted
    Only new game mechanic thing I've seen so far is related to the garrison - in combat buffs to the pets are linked to the stables (battle pets get their own area). Theres new pets ofc as well.

No raised level cap was confirmed by blue already, also. As for the rest, alpha is gonna alpha.

We're getting battle stones that give levels too, to go along with the battle stones that change their quality!

Other than what the other posters mentioned here, not a lot new with how pet mechanics work. They mentioned they wanted to "focus on the collection aspect in WoD" a while back.

Otherwise, here's a list of the datamined pets: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/unlisted/
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    We're getting battle stones that give levels too, to go along with the battle stones that change their quality!
    That is probably just an alpha thing so testers can quickly boost pets on there premades so they can test new pet battle features.

Quote Originally Posted by veovis View Post
    That is probably just an alpha thing so testers can quickly boost pets on there premades so they can test new pet battle features.
    They were, indeed, labeled as [TEST] in the build.

They came up in a recent twitter comment as something that is coming in WoD. They didn't say how they are acquired, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came in daily bags or as some Garrison thing.

EDIT: Here's the twitter link
    https://twitter.com/mumper/status/472061474836201472
    Last edited by Meiluy; 2014-06-08 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added link to comment

Nope as has been linked by another poster, Mumper tweeted about them some weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Given the lack of depth pet stats have in wow compared to the pokemon games, then maybe that is for the best.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure just what pet breeding would bring to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Given the lack of depth pet stats have in wow compared to the pokemon games, then maybe that is for the best.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure just what pet breeding would bring to the game.
    If anything, new pets. They could breed different types based on what you breed with what, even going the Pokémon way of getting "baby" versions of certain pets. However, I feel that would be complicated and make collecting a bit less leisurely for my tastes.

I used to play a lot of pet battles, so I'm kinda attached to this subject, even after quitting the game, so I'll give you guys my 2 cents:

pet breeding is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea:

1 - many people chose the gender of their pets already, for RP purposes. oh, turns out lassie was a boy, who knew?

2 - a LARGE number of pets are defined by the fact that they are baby versions of larger creatures. babies don't breed, period.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I used to play a lot of pet battles, so I'm kinda attached to this subject, even after quitting the game, so I'll give you guys my 2 cents:

pet breeding is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea:

1 - many people chose the gender of their pets already, for RP purposes. oh, turns out lassie was a boy, who knew?

2 - a LARGE number of pets are defined by the fact that they are baby versions of larger creatures. babies don't breed, period.
    I wish I could have chosen a gender for some of my pets earned through achievements and promotions. I wanted my Perky Pug to be a female named Frankie, like my parents' pug. But, according to Warcraftpets, it's a boy in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want epic pets.. not very fair being forced to battle legendary pets with some blue ones :S

Currently you can't even use your favourite pet you have to mix and match based on your opponent to meet their weaknesses otherwise they would kill you quickly >.<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I wish I could have chosen a gender for some of my pets earned through achievements and promotions. I wanted my Perky Pug to be a female named Frankie, like my parents' pug. But, according to Warcraftpets, it's a boy in-game.
    I've checked it's female...there your problems are solved and you can name is Frankie <3

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I just want epic pets.. not very fair being forced to battle legendary pets with some blue ones :S

Currently you can't even use your favourite pet you have to mix and match based on your opponent to meet their weaknesses otherwise they would kill you quickly >.<

- - - Updated - - -

I've checked it's female...there your problems are solved and you can name is Frankie <3
    Oh well, thank you. I swear last time I checked it was male. Hm.

Oh well, thank you. I swear last time I checked it was male. Hm.
    There is a script you can use to determine the gender of any npc / mob in the game:

/run local x=UnitSex("target");local g={"n unknown!", " boy!", " girl!"} n=GetUnitName("target");if IsShiftKeyDown()then SendChatMessage(n .." is a" ..g[x],"SAY");else print(n .." is a" ..g[x]);end

edit/update:

According to the script, Perky Pug is "unknown" !
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    There is a script you can use to determine the gender of any npc / mob in the game:

/run local x=UnitSex("target");local g={"n unknown!", " boy!", " girl!"} n=GetUnitName("target");if IsShiftKeyDown()then SendChatMessage(n .." is a" ..g[x],"SAY");else print(n .." is a" ..g[x]);end

edit/update:

According to the script, Perky Pug is "unknown" !
    Well that's a neat little trick, thanks!

Anyone else hoping they add the Frostwolf pup as a pet and/or more dog breeds?

Well that's a neat little trick, thanks!

Anyone else hoping they add the Frostwolf pup as a pet and/or more dog breeds?
    ME!! I bumped into these little critters while questing and fell in love, they are adorable. However I certainly would love a new kitty pet too, I know we have a ton of them, but they are quite old models, cinder kitty much newer, but would love just a generic tabby or ginger tom cat, but with a more cinder kitty base model

Catching the right pet sex now? Geez, how could they make something so shallow, so tedious?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    ME!! I bumped into these little critters while questing and fell in love, they are adorable. However I certainly would love a new kitty pet too, I know we have a ton of them, but they are quite old models, cinder kitty much newer, but would love just a generic tabby or ginger tom cat, but with a more cinder kitty base model
    Agreed, we could have more updated, cute cat models in the game.

You're in the alpha, right? Would you be willing to take screenshots of pets (if applicable) in the pet journal and post them here?