Poll: What does your gut say?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim vs. The Witcher 3 (Will Skyrim be dethroned?)

No one can really answer this yet as the game is not out yet.
    But I made a separate thread from The Witcher 3 to focus between these two great RPG's.
    If any of you have played The Witcher 2, you know that gameplay wise and story wise, it is a masterpiece, with high replay value.

But let's talk, what do you think distinguishes them most (from what we've heard so far about The Witcher 3), feel free to take up The Witcher 2 on what distinguishes it with Skyrim and what is more the same?

One thing, the open world will now be found in The Witcher 3, no longer only The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, that's pretty good.

So what do you think? Will The Witcher 3 dethrone Skyrim?

Last edited by Master Po; 2014-06-10 at 08:46 PM.

The odds of this beating Skyrim in sales (20 million+) are insanely low.

If you are talking about what an individual likes better, that is entirely subjective.

hehehe even Witcher 2 beats Skyrim as an RPG.
    If they deliver what they want to do with Witcher 3, they will create a game of the decade imo, let alone game of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The odds of this beating Skyrim in sales (20 million+) are insanely low.

If you are talking about what an individual likes better, that is entirely subjective.
    Why so low?

10+ Year Old Account
    The story and RPG elements will definitely beat an unmodded skyrim. Sales... no. I know girls who would never normally play video games who have played Skyrim. I doubt many people have even heard of the Witcher series, and it doesn't help that Skyrim was huge on consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a storydriven rpg i think The Witcher 3 is going to beat Skyrim by a fairly large margin, if its a better open world game remains to be seen though.

I refuse to judge. I'll just say Witcher 3 looks like it could do it, but we really haven't seen actual meaningful gameplay or the kinds of quest and exploration available.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    Why so low?
    Witcher 2 has sold 5-6 million copies over several years and was considered a huge success. The odds of them quadrupling that figure are very low. Not impossible, but low.

RPGs in general are not FPS games or GTA. Skyrim was an anomaly and unprecedented market success.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbear View Post
    The story and RPG elements will definitely beat an unmodded skyrim. Sales... no. I know girls who would never normally play video games who have played Skyrim. I doubt many people have even heard of the Witcher series, and it doesn't help that Skyrim was huge on consoles.
    The Witcher 1 and 2 came to PC first, and later to the consoles.

This time, it will be released as the only true next gen game for Xbox One and PlayStation, PC.
    Even today, The Witcher 2 looks like it was made for this generation of consoles, when you play it on PC (without mods)!

It's certainly trying to dethrone Skyrim in sales with the absurdly early preorder on Steam.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    For a storydriven rpg i think The Witcher 3 is going to beat Skyrim by a fairly large margin, if its a better open world game remains to be seen though.
    I second this. I highly doubt that CD project Red will give you the same amount of freedom to run everywhere you want and to do the craziest of things as you can do in elder scrolls games. Which is also the lovely thing about it, now we will have two open world fantasy RPG with quite a budget (and hopefully some good polish) behind them but alas people can't refrain from having to nominate one as the superior, even if they are different in several ways.

Witcher 2 has sold 5-6 million copies over several years and was considered a huge success. The odds of them quadrupling that figure are very low. Not impossible, but low.

RPGs in general are not FPS games or GTA. Skyrim was an anomaly and unprecedented market success.
    Skyrim didn't deliver on their promise, the game was left with full of game breaking bugs that wasn't fixed (only for PC by the community modders).
    Sadly, PS3 and Xbox 360 will have to live with these bugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I second this. I highly doubt that CD project Red will give you the same amount of freedom to run everywhere you want and to do the craziest of things as you can do in elder scrolls games. Which is also the lovely thing about it, now we will have two open world fantasy RPG with quite a budget (and hopefully some good polish) behind them but alas people can't refrain from having to nominate one as the superior, even if they are different in several ways.
    You doubt what you have not seen, that's not shocking. But truth and fact is, The Witcher 3 will have a open world, a game world that is 35x times larger than Witcher 2.

And what we can do, run everywhere, jump, go crazy? Probably, there is a rich life to the world according to their website with eco system.

W3 is the only next gen game announced, so... maybe

Skyrim didn't deliver on their promise, the game was left with full of game breaking bugs that wasn't fixed (only for PC by the community modders).
    Sadly, PS3 and Xbox 360 will have to live with these bugs.
    What does that have to do with selling a bajillion copies?

I mean if you want to argue subjectively about the game or whatever, that's fine. I'm just saying that in terms of financials, there's almost no chance W3 will be a bigger success.

Witcher 2 also had competing hype with other games if I remember right, namely Skyrim. It didn't garner the attention it may have deserved. So short of bethesda announcing Fallout 4 at E3 Witcher 3 is going to be the RPG of the show most likely.

Speaking honestly, Oblivion didn't come close to the sales Skyrim got so the big thing I can attribute to the success of Skyrim is the marketing and word of mouth it received. I personally see CDPR poised to capitalize on this.

What does that have to do with selling a bajillion copies?
    That even they did sell a lot, they didn't meet up to the hype. Try play the game on PS3 or Xbox 360 (no mods) and tell me that this is the game that deserves to be sitting on THE THRONE of the most well built RPG game that you can spend countless hours on, yes, perhaps now - but with Witcher 3, perhaps not much longer.

Truth is that there arn't really many great RPG's made, so the competition is like small.

The chances of me enjoying Witcher 3 more then skyrim is pretty high.
    but will it beat 20million copies sold? doubtful. Skyrim was an insane success. i whouldnt say it impossible, but they really have to do more then make a fantastic game to beat that. even a game that is as praised as bioshock infinite wich got near 100 in every rewiev have "only" sold 6millions copies.
    They need to reach out to the masses, a big marketing plan. I remember at the time i saw commercials of skyrim everywhere, even at cinemas, wich i believe is one of the causes to its huge success. So many ppl that maybe normally dont play rpg games saw the trailer and thought "OMG I WANT THAT".

Deleted
    You doubt what you have not seen, that's not shocking. But truth and fact is, The Witcher 3 will have a open world, a game world that is 35x times larger than Witcher 2.
    I have played games that had enormous worlds, didn't make the game one bit better. In several cases it can do quite a bit of harm, since a story is hard to narrate/tell if the player chooses to move in the opposite direction of where the story wants you to go, and in the end hampers the game from any sort of immersive story (go save Billy that fell down the well, after 200 days he is still alive when I stumble upon the well, amazing!). And seeing as this is the first time for CD project Red to create an open world, I will save my expectations till we see more of it.

That even they did sell a lot, they didn't meet up to the hype. Try play the game on PS3 or Xbox 360 (no mods) and tell me that this is the game that deserves to be sitting on THE THRONE of the most well built RPG game that you can spend countless hours on, yes, perhaps now - but with Witcher 3, perhaps not much longer.

Truth is that there arn't really many great RPG's made, so the competition is like small.
    That is nonsense, Skyrim won GOTY almost universally with critics and consumers and is a highly regarded game outside of a few people who always complain.

To the point here!

I wasn't talking about the throne of sales..... I was talking about which will be the overall greatest open world RPG out there when The Witcher 3 kicks in.
    We can only speculate, but it's interesting.

For one, Skyrim does feel like a very empty world without mods, also linear in their story telling, no consequences and quite often, you complete quests and they continue to refer to you as the war is still going on, when it is over.