Poll: What does your gut say?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I did not stop to continue the story in The Witcher 2, felt passionately for its stories. And not only that, there were things I missed because of my choices, that there were some who died because of my choices and all that changed if I played again.. it was something I never experienced in an Elder Scrolls game.

Real consequences, you actually go down a different path and you won't see what's in the other path, so much power is given to the player, and that creates an amazing role playing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
    I did not stop to continue the story in The Witcher 2, felt passionately for its stories. And not only that, there were things I missed because of my choices, that there were some who died because of my choices and all that changed if I played again.. it was something I never experienced in an Elder Scrolls game.

Real consequences, you actually go down a different path and you won't see what's in the other path, so much power is given to the player, and that creates an amazing role playing experience.
    Exactly. If their other game, Cyberpunk , is like that, I'm going to be a seriously happy CDPR fanboy

PS: Do you guys recognize the voice in the video? It's Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones, or Charles Dance that is his name. Great voice.

PS: Do you guys recognize the voice in the video? It's Tywin Lannister from Game of Thrones, or Charles Dance that is his name. Great voice.
    Yep, all hail Emperor Emhyr Van Lannister!

There is no way it outsells skyrim or is even half as openworldy as skyrim is. It will however and the other witcher games already do beat it in terms of storytelling etc.

To be honest, Skyrim (or TES in general) seems to hit a broader audience, while The Witcher 3 seems to have a way more specific story and set of characters, so I doubt it's going to beat Skyrim.

Just my opinion, though.

That even they did sell a lot, they didn't meet up to the hype. Try play the game on PS3 or Xbox 360 (no mods) and tell me that this is the game that deserves to be sitting on THE THRONE of the most well built RPG game that you can spend countless hours on, yes, perhaps now - but with Witcher 3, perhaps not much longer.

Truth is that there arn't really many great RPG's made, so the competition is like small.
    I'd take any of the old school baldur's gate games, or most of the dungeons and dragons single player RPGs, Diablo, and the original dungeon siege over Skyrim and especially over oblivion, Morrowind was the only elder scrolls game made that made you actually give a flying fuck about the game's world.

The ONLY reason Skyrim sold well is because of the blind fanboys that swallow down bethesda's garbage no matter what they make, like my moronic neighbor that bought into that Brink garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    There is no way it outsells skyrim or is even half as openworldy as skyrim is. It will however and the other witcher games already do beat it in terms of storytelling etc.
    I would say gameplay wise as well, there is no balance in Skyrim and the combat quickly becomes very, repeat hit block hit block, or spam fireballs, you know.

Action lacks action, it's bit.. sneak instant kill things or spam fireball with full enchanted gear or you do the hack and slack, block or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I reserve judgment until Witcher III is actually on the shelves and even then I ponder that Skyrim will remain more moddable.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Not a fan of the witcher. I played the 2 game and imo it was a terrible game, not only was the game bad but the voice acting was pure shit.

Its true that skyrim without mods was a little bland, but with the mods its an insanely good game.

This has to be GOTY.
    Simply has to.
    But 20+ milllions of copies? Sorry, nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting most of the Skyrim supporter posts target either mod support or the large number of sales. Yet only 14% of copies sold were on PC. How many mods are available on the console versions?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim...-v-statistics/

Skyrims success was not because of Mods. The Witcher 3 does not need a modding community to match it. Only word of mouth.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    You obviously never played the Witcher games then.

I'm not gonna turn this into a game vs game thread, but the Elder Scrolls series, after Daggerfall, was marketed towards the masses. It's systems were broken down and freed up so that planning your character was no longer very important anymore, which is disappointing. Most bro gamers go "OMG! Skyrim is the awesomest game ever, and the king of RPGs," and such, when they've never actually played any other RPGs. The Witcher is an example of a core RPG that was made for a dedicated audience in mind, not to be just made for pure profit and thrown at the masses.
    i played the witcher games but a game that does exactly what i said it does, because it does, isn't an rpg. you're not playing a role as much as interacting with a story. your fanboi is showing. in skyrim you are your character, in witcher you're geralt

hell in skyrim you can avoid the whole main quest if you want. or you can only do the main quest. it's not as linear even though like every rpg today you're guided to some extent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    It's interesting most of the Skyrim supporter posts target either mod support or the large number of sales. Yet only 14% of copies sold were on PC. How many mods are available on the console versions?

Skyrims success was not because of Mods. The Witcher 3 does not need a modding community to match it. Only word of mouth.
    you don't seem to understand how it all works. there are a few THOUSAND bugs that modders find and fix that bethesda later patches into the game. hell i made 4 mods that fixed bugs via the CK or new code and guess what.......they later became part of a patch

the unoffical skyrim patches are 1000x bigger than anything i did and a LOT of that was patched in

without the modders, you'd never have heard of the elder scrolls. the base game is that bad but thankfully console players will throw their money at anything
    every single console player who gets to see what a modded skyrim looks like realizes they paid the same price for a huge piece of shit

the longevity of the franchise DEPENDS on these modded pc versions too.

any cross platform game would benefit from mods

15+ Year Old Account

Skyrim's continuing success and worries is in part of the mods though. You'll see more people playing it on the PC today than all of the consoles combined. Same with any Bethesda game, it does end on the consoles, where it can be 100%'d. Sure you can do multiple breakthroughs with different builds, but on the PC, it really can be endless with the amount of "extra" stuff you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post

you don't seem to understand how it all works. there are a few THOUSAND bugs that modders find and fix that bethesda later patches into the game. hell i made 4 mods that fixed bugs via the CK or new code and guess what.......they later became part of a patch

the unoffical skyrim patches are 1000x bigger than anything i did and a LOT of that was patched in

without the modders, you'd never have heard of the elder scrolls. the base game is that bad but thankfully console players will throw their money at anything
    every single console player who gets to see what a modded skyrim looks like realizes they paid the same price for a huge piece of shit

the longevity of the franchise DEPENDS on these modded pc versions too.

any cross platform game would benefit from mods
    Depends on what they got. They might have 60 dollars and a console and want to play it ASAP, but not a PC, or the patients to save up for one, that can play it with those mods. No point in modding a game that you have no interest in to begin with. Hell, the best way to play any Bethesda game is unmodded/ on consoles so you can pay attention to the story and not get side-tracked by other things, or console commands. It's what I did. Bought my 360 version on 11-11-11 (most epic birthday I ever had) and got it on the Steam Summer Sale after I 100%'d it.

Unless they drop the ball. I'm sure I'll enjoy W3, maybe even more than Skyrim. And then Fallout 4 will come and I will enjoy that even more. And then comes the ES6:X and I might enjoy that even more.

I love RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Story wise Witcher 3 will annihilate Skyrim since Witcher 2 already pretty much blew it out of the water a few years ago.

Now comparing the games on "immersive worlds", yea NOTHING will dethrone Skyrim until maybe ES:VI.

Graphically with mods, Skyrim probably won't be compared to for another decade or so unless the modding scene becomes really big on the Witcher 3 which I don't think is that likely.
    How did a vs thread turn into a graphics thread? Sure Witcher 3 will probably have great graphics but graphics is like... the lowest priority in a game for a real gamer. Skyrim has a medicore story and boring gameplay, the most important parts. Immersion is important too but outside of Skyrim's environments it's not really immersive to have guards with the same apperance/voice/dialogue everywhere, or any NPC. So if Witcher 3 manages to create an immersive world they've already beaten Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

So, Skyrim broke Steam's concurrent player record with having over 5million players at the same time. This site says it sold a total of 20million.

Can I get steam on my Ps3 or 360? Or is this just full of shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a chance, you're delusional if you think it will.

Hated the W2, so I hope W3 is a thousand times better at least as it looks cool.

It's the mods which make Skyrim what it is though.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2014-06-09 at 09:25 AM.

I feel very tempted to pre-order Witcher 3 on GOG (and everyone who reads this and plans to buy it - do it through GOG to support no-DRM gaming future), but I am afraid it will require monster PC.

The Witcher 2 already holds the throne (not in sales) but i don't see a reason for rivalry here since both are extremely good games, i'd say that The Witcher, The elder Scrolls and Dragon Age are all worthy of the "throne" (that is ofc if DAI manages to deliver like the first game of the series did).