Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Everything wrong with American Society in a single tweet.

Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2014-06-21 at 10:46 AM.

I'll make it even shorter.

We don't know what our priorities are.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Yeah but he brings two extreme factual examples to prove your point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure this thread is going to good places.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    murrica at its best.

literally.

not joking.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

It's always nice to see sensible, smart inviduals pop out the masses of stupid
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

What is wrong with our society or civilization is an energy shortage, not that tweet.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Dunno, mariage is a christian tradition, or at least a religious one, isn't it? At least the way it is celebrated in America today. The way most modern american weddings are celebrated is heavily influenced by conservative christian/puritanian traditions. Because of that I think marriage in the traditional sense should no longer hold the judical importance it has today. Frankly they tied way to much crap to it in the first place, they should make it a religious thing again, tie all the social responsibilities etc to another thing and give all the non geriatric care related tax benefits to people who actually have kids (if gay couples have some they can give those to them as well). Religious people keep their rites the way they like, gay people have the juristical and social responsibilities that marriage brings and social engineering is actually adressing the topics it was originally intended to.

Solving shootings will be a bit more difficult. There have always been mentally ill people throughout the ages. The explaining for that will always be difficult. It's not something that might even be possible to solve, considering the latest loony first killed 3 people with a knife and then started shooting 3 more, iirc. For gun control we have the mega thread, so turning it into this topic is rather pointless. Both of those topics have very little in common with one another. It's not like throwing all resources at one problem will actually solve it and that way of thinking is great for a polemic jab, but has very little to it beyond that. If we were to go by that logic (like in the tweet) we should care about the massive violence in africa first, because that issue is alot worse by absolute numbers, than any number of school shootings.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2014-06-21 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Because you morons can't read two consecutive sentences without fliping your shit.

I guess nation bashing is ok.. as long as it is directed at the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Dunno, mariage is a christian tradition, or at least a religious one, isn't it? Frankly they tied way to much crap to it in the first place, they should make it a religious thing again, tie all the social responsibilities etc to another thing and give all the non geriatric care related tax benefits to people who actually have kids (if gay couples have some they can give those to them as well). Religious people keep their rites the way they like, gay people have the juristical and social responsibilities that marriage brings and social engineering is actually adressing the topics it was originally intended to.

Solving shootings will be a bit more difficult. There have always been mentally ill people throughout the ages. The explaining for that will always be difficult. It's not something that might even be possible to solve, considering the latest loony first killed 3 people with a knife and then started shooting 3 more, iirc. For gun control we have the mega thread, so turning it into this topic is rather pointless. Both of those topics have very little in common with one another. It's not like throwing all resources at one problem will actually solve it and that way of thinking is great for a polemic "argument", but has very little to that beyond that. If we were to go by that logic (like in the tweet) we should care about the massive violence in africa first, because that issue is alot worse by absolute numbers, than any number of school shootings.
    ??? Gay marriage? Also I think violence in Africa has a very different motive most of the time than US or EU or South Korea.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I'm not bashing United States. I'm bashing 'muricans which happen to make majority of you. My proof is your continuously failing political system and joke of elections.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Ignoring we have a beast-mode thread on Saudi Arabia up, victimhood moar pls.

The messed up thing is that statistically gun violence is at an all time low. The media's just gone into overdrive covering it. Still silly how people go all bananas over gay marriage. You can't help who you love.

Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    ??? Gay marriage? Also I think violence in Africa has a very different motive most of the time than US or EU or South Korea.
    Did you read the tweet? It's just the old fallacy that we shouldn't adress anything besides the supposedly biggest issue in sight, coupled with "poor parent having to do parenting". I can see bigger issues than either of those two. Doesn't mean all these issues can't be adressed in the same capacity. That is obviously ignoring that one of these issues needs a little bit of change and the other issue might literally be impossible to solve, at least completly.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Dunno, mariage is a christian tradition, or at least a religious one, isn't it?
    Hahahaha. <straightface> No. It's not.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Funny, because when I lived in Brazil, the locals told me the exact same thing. They tended to be very defensive against foreigner's opinion.
    I could only tell good things about Brazil, or I was expected to keep it to myself.

Pointing out the problems that a particular country has, in a constructively manner, is not nation bashing.

About America, in my opinion most of its "problems" are not relevant issues.
    The Healthcare reform, legalization of weed and gay marriage are not the end of the world, in my opinion.

About mass shootings? Yeah, that is the biggest issue you guys have to solve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Praise OP, so brave!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Hahahaha. <straightface> No. It's not.
    Right and wrong. Marriage is a completely made up institution and the views of marriage vary from culture to culture, time period to time period. Example, we commonly view marriage as an act of love but many societies even know see it as a business move or sorts. Thats why you have things such as arranged marriages. In the eyes of courts marriage is a business contract between people. The government (in the case of the US) slapped Christian values onto as a way to place limitations on marriage because the benefits of marriage can be lucrative (marrying for a green card, tax reasons, etc). Problem is that all couples (same sex couples) can have the same kind of relationship as a hetero couple but are denied these benefits, hell they probably actually love each each other while hetero couples are still free to for reasons besides love.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Pointing out the problems that a particular country has, in a constructively manner, is not nation bashing.
    Yep, because "constructive" is exactly how I'd describe the posts in this thread, as well as the thread title itself.
    Everything wrong with American Society in a single tweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I'm not bashing United States. I'm bashing 'muricans which happen to make majority of you. My proof is your continuously failing political system and joke of elections.

On topic: Surprisingly, despite the fact that the US has one of the highest gun-related homicide rates when compared to other countries, we have many more more guns and a much higher population as well. When you take all of this into consideration, particularly how many guns we have per capita, the gun-related homicide rate per capita is actually not that much higher than other countries and is actually lower than quite a few. On the other hand, there are countries with a much lower number of guns per capita that have a much higher gun-related homicide rate per capita. Interpret that how you will.

Lastly, despite what most people think, gun-related homicide rates have decreased by a large amount over the past 2 decades. Do we still have problems with guns? Of course. However, this isn't a problem that is fixed overnight and simply taking away all the guns isn't exactly an option. However, we are making progress in trying to reduce the amount of guns available to the public, albeit slowly.
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2014-06-21 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Funny, because when I lived in Brazil, the locals told me the exact same thing. They tended to be very defensive against foreigner's opinion.
    I could only tell good things about Brazil, or I was expected to keep it to myself.

About America, in my opinion most of its "problems" are not relevant issues.
    The Healthcare reform, legalization of weed and gay marriage are not the end of the world, in my opinion.

About mass shootings? Yeah, that is the biggest issue you guys have to solve.
    Doesn't in a constructive manner have to construct something? Like, "hey I see these problems, here is how we can fix them, anyone want to help?" and not "hey guess what.. Merica has problems and Mericans are problems"

The facts are this. MORE Americans support gun control. Some of the laws had upwards of 80%+ support in polling in regards to background checks and over 50% for stricter gun control period (pretty amazing, oh and not pulled from ass - http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm). Our political parties are just bought and sold by lobbyist so it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Americans, or the derogatory term people use Mericans, are not the problem. If you are bashing political parties then honestly I don't give a damn. They suck. Honestly have ruined a lot of things lately in America since all they care about is rhetoric and party lines and not the American people. But this really isn't solely an American problem. It is a political problem. History is filled with great examples from every nation on the face of the Earth that ever managed to get off its feet from a crawl.

Direct your fire at the problem and not just and blanket statements directed at what will get you popular points with your nation bashing friends on the forums.

But that can only be true, how else do you explain your politicians that keep being voted in power? Aimed at Disconnected (from reality?)