Thread: AskMrRobot???

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

AskMrRobot???

Hey guys. I am usually a assassination rogue but I might be getting into heroic and decided to try out combat since it seems to be the best now. I just want to know from another great raiding rogue if they use askmrrobot.com for complete re-speccing and re-gemming for combat? I use to use it completely but didn't like what they told me to do for assassination so I haven't really been using it and I have just been doing what I thought was right. It just seems like it is set for combat rogues. Says stats are as followed Agi>haste>crit=mast. I just want to know if this is the proper way to combat rogue. TIA

I would cross compare numbers from AMR with shadowcraft.
    http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    I would cross compare numbers from AMR with shadowcraft.
    http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/
    Well if I did it correctly(I don't use shadowcraft. AMR is simple) then I think they both say the same thing so I would have to guess that AMR is a good one to follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can safely use AMR as long as you change the Weight values. I'd recommend using Simc for that, but frankly you can just use ShC and forge reforges to H>M>C since the difference between going full H>M and H>M=C* will be minor at single target and slightly better at any cleave.

* Remember that we're talking about weight values here, not the stat quantity itself. It's better for pure ST DPS to try to balance both Mastery and Crit weights close to each other, not the stat amount.

Use shadowcraft. Its easier and better.

Shadowcraft's main limitation is that it optimizes gems and reforges separately and enchants not at all. AMR can do all three at once. Shadowcraft's advantage is that it does not use pre-set scaling values (AMR does), and when you click that auto-reforge button it uses your CURRENT scaling values, not some pre-defined set.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    * Remember that we're talking about weight values here, not the stat quantity itself. It's better for pure ST DPS to try to balance both Mastery and Crit weights close to each other, not the stat amount.
    Peak performance is always going to be when all 3 stats have the same weights. Thing is it's not possible to get enough haste on gear to bring haste down to the values of crit/mastery (or crit/mastery up to the value of haste).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
    AMR sucks.
    It doesn't.

Just wondering, how does you guys know what stats weight to put in AMR? Because a lot of people just say to custom weights but no one mention what value or how did they get those values.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to manually get them using simulationcraft or shadowcraft, both should work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
    AMR sucks.
    As a complete package, it's inferior to ShadowCraft, but that's a pretty harsh comparison. It even does reforging and regemming slightly better, provided you swap between ShC/SimC and AMR to keep swapping in custom weights as you approach an ideal gear setup. AMR is limited by your input - what sucks is your use of it, not the tool itself.

P.S. if you're only making one stop, use shadowcraft, no questions.

I agree with everyone use shadowcraft to compare

mr robot is great, use it all the time

Did anyone notice that askmrrobot now say for high level rogue haste>mastery for assa rogue? I thought that Mastery > Haste for Assa.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    Shadowcraft's main limitation is that it optimizes gems and reforges separately and enchants not at all. AMR can do all three at once. Shadowcraft's advantage is that it does not use pre-set scaling values (AMR does), and when you click that auto-reforge button it uses your CURRENT scaling values, not some pre-defined set.
    If by limitation you mean awesomeness. When I use AMR for non-rogue classes I always disable reforging AND regemming and just stick to reforging. I guess if you get to a point where you won't be getting much gear and you know how to adjust the stat weights perfectly then AMR would be nice to get as close to that perfect 7.5%/7.5% but gearing up and doing that is some costly shit. I did that for a couple weeks with my monk tank while gearing up through normal and never again. Every raid where you got gear was pretty much a complete regemming as well as reforging and that sucked hard.

Personally I wish there was a shadowcraft for every class. It's an amazing site that's super easy to use and does a great job. The dynamic scaling of it works wonders in ways that AMR just doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    If by limitation you mean awesomeness. When I use AMR for non-rogue classes I always disable reforging AND regemming and just stick to reforging. I guess if you get to a point where you won't be getting much gear and you know how to adjust the stat weights perfectly then AMR would be nice to get as close to that perfect 7.5%/7.5% but gearing up and doing that is some costly shit. I did that for a couple weeks with my monk tank while gearing up through normal and never again. Every raid where you got gear was pretty much a complete regemming as well as reforging and that sucked hard.

Personally I wish there was a shadowcraft for every class. It's an amazing site that's super easy to use and does a great job. The dynamic scaling of it works wonders in ways that AMR just doesn't do.
    No. It's a limitation. AMR will automaticall find the optimal combination of enchants, gemming, and reforging, assuming you provide the correct scaling values. ShC will not (but you don't need to input any scaling values for your gear). If gemming expertise to reach cap and reforging some of that crit to mastery/haste (instead of expertise) is optimal, AMR will do that. ShC will not.

Being able to enable it to do reforge only is fine if you're gearing up, but if you're doing progression content, doing that is a sign of being cheap and lazy, not awesome. Hell, it's a sign of being cheap and lazy even when gearing up (that's not to say I don't do it. I won't re-gem timeless isle crap on alts--on my main, I'll regem last-tier's gear if need be when I get an upgrade from this tier).

To get the optimum setup in Shadowcraft--even ignoring enchants, you have to auto reforge, then autogem, then autoreforge again if you have any blue sockets. With AMR you click optimize, that's it. And even then, the AMR optimize will switch between the crit and hit cloak enchant depending on which is better. ShC will not. If you're too cheap to swap out a 1 mysterious essence for 7 spirit dust enchant (or vice versa), then perhaps you shouldn't be raiding?

Shadowcraft is awesome, but so is AMR. People need to realize that BOTH tools (as well as simc) have advantages and limitations.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2014-06-17 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by efwow View Post
    Did anyone notice that askmrrobot now say for high level rogue haste>mastery for assa rogue? I thought that Mastery > Haste for Assa.
    Again for the 1000th time, it doesn't matter what AMR tells you. It's a pre-defined garbage worth nothing. If you want to use correctly you have to change it's values. Stats Weights are different for everyone because everyone has different gear, find yours using Shadowcraft or Simulationcraft.