Poll: So scale or not to scale ilvl up at level 90 instanced PvP

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question iLvl Scaling up in BG's at level 90

Scale up to under Honor Gear.

As the title says. I am curious to see what you guys would think if they decided to scale ilvl up in instanced pvp to assist with the GAP in new level 90s to the max level pvp items. PvP unlike PvE is not gated in any way by item level so no matter how low your gear you could play with and against players in with full pridefull gear. I understand in WoD they plan on doing this but I am not exactly sure why they are waiting.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Reveries1; 2014-06-27 at 04:40 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, to some extent it should be done because it's just not fun to play BGs on a low-geared character many times. You're better off grinding dungeons(lol, do PvE for PvP gear) and converting JP to honor.

They already kind of do this in non 90 bg's I don't see why they couldn't just do it at 90 too. But since they're doing in wod they probably won't touch live for anything but to sell new mounts.

Deleted
    Why do people who play MMO's don't know what an MMO is? Grinding gear is part of the genre. Would be pretty boring without it.

Two reasons.
    Firstly it diminishes the incentive to actually get better gear.
    Also the scaling is flawed, and might see some lower gear be superior when scaled up.
    Hence why there are BiS lists for Challenge Modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    Why do people who play MMO's don't know what an MMO is? Grinding gear is part of the genre. Would be pretty boring without it.
    That's not part of the genre. It's just how it's been done for years. That doesn't mean you can't change with the current industry standards or god-forbid try to innovate a little bit. MMO the genre just means a massive persistent online world, any other feature is up to the devs. And it seems most don't care to innovate.

PVP in this game will forever be a joke until they normalize stats. Balance at an item level, 650 for example. Give everyone base resilience and pvp power they can tweak to control damage putout and survivability then make everyone's gear scale down or UP to 650 in every PVP situation. Make it more about skill than a grind.

Whenever someone beats me because of gear it doesn't do anything for me. It's just "oh, hey gear". When you get beat by someone of the same gear power as you it's much more impactful and respectable. (All class discrepancies aside) you were simply outplayed, not this guy just had more time on his hands than you so he got the gear. That's why it's such bullshit.

I should be able to log on my fresh 90 lock in 496 pve gear and log into a bg for fun but be on an even playing field. I will get crushed from inexperience alone, the veteran player doesn't need an additional gear advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Two reasons.
    Firstly it diminishes the incentive to actually get better gear.
    Also the scaling is flawed, and might see some lower gear be superior when scaled up.
    Hence why there are BiS lists for Challenge Modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensword View Post
    Why bother ever getting better gear if you are going to be scaled up anyway, surely people that have worked to improve the quality of gear they have should be at an advantage. What you are basically saying is a freshly boosted level 90 will be scale up to the same item level as I have even though I have been acquiring better gear for the last 3 months.

World of Warcraft PVP has always used a gear progression model and long may it continue so thank those on high that decided Trial of the Gladiator was shelved and you still have to put a bit of work into the game to progress your character.
    To the guys who feel you need gear to incentivize PVP. I say this: CMs are popular as hell and the only real rewards are cosmetic. Also don't you think PVP is fun enough gameplay to stand on its own. If anything the gear disparity discourages more PVP. People don't want to play their alts to avoid a grind. People who are casual don't feel like getting fucked until they do their 30hr gear grind. Gear power is a NEGATIVE.

Also to your point in particular Ravensword (btw I like that name) I feel the "work" you put into your character should be learning your classes and getting skilled. If I boost a fresh 90 warlock for example and I never played it before, I still will get my ass whooped by a veteran lock. That's how it should be. Wins and losses should be about skill more than who grinded more.

Also I want to clarify. I still think PVP should award gear sets. You need something to do other things in the world with. If I just PVP, I'll still get an honor set and conquest set with regular stats maybe equivalent to Heroic Dungeons and LFR or something. But no matter what; in PVP it will be scaled to 650 with the same stats as everyone else.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2014-06-27 at 03:33 PM.

its been the same for years and years. if you want better pvp gear then you gotta go in, get your ass kicked, take your licks, and do some grinding to get your gear. I hope it stays the same. why must everything be instant gratification for some people?

10+ Year Old Account
    What would be the point of getting pvp gear then?

I should have been more clear (hind sight) The Scale up would be to under Honor level gear to use this season as an example it would be 510 or so.

Deleted
    It kinda defeats the object of doing a bg

10+ Year Old Account
    No, just increase honor gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Maridore View Post
    It kinda defeats the object of doing a bg
    The point of doing a BG is to have a bit of fun isnt it? Or is it "I dont enjoy this but I desire the next piece of gear so I will partake in activities I hate because *shinies*

Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    What do you guys think?
    I think setting an ilvl cap for random battlegrounds that slowly increases over time is a better idea. Gear over the ilvl cap should get scaled down to something appropriate. New players aren't getting 3-shotting by honor gear. It's the players in the latest conquest gear that cause problems for new players.

If you have really nice gear, you are supposed to be playing in the rated system. Players that choose to slum-it should have to deal with the consequence of having their gear scaled down, IMO.

Scaling low ilvl gear up to just below honor gear just devalues honor gear in the content that honor gear is supposed to actually matter in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scale it up to slightly below the current Honor tier. That should be fine- you'll still want to get Honor/Conquest gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Just clarifying - aren't they already doing something like this for WoD? If so, then I doubt they'll bring the feature in for the leftovers of MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    Scale up to under Honor Gear.

As the title says. I am curious to see what you guys would think if they decided to scale ilvl up in instanced pvp to assist with the GAP in new level 90s to the max level pvp items. PvP unlike PvE is not gated in any way by item level so no matter how low your gear you could play with and against players in with full pridefull gear. I understand in WoD they plan on doing this but I am not exactly sure why they are waiting.

What do you guys think?

Oops, just missed the bolded part. Whether some of the people like it or not (i think it's a good thing - though i have never had any problem with any of the current or pvp gearing systems) it's happening. I think they're saving their new features for WoD. I suspect they don't want to blow their 'wad' on the tail end of MoP.

I have to say I actually enjoyed the tiered gearing system for the highest level (currently conquest) gear in Wotlk even being a casual player. I'd love to see something like that re-implemented.

Yes. Make them ilvl 522 within PvP instances.

I worked for my gear; you should work too. You are not special.

Seeing your character's constant progression in strength/durability as you invest time is what makes it worthwhile. There is no incentive to get gear if everyone's always maxed out, and that kills the fun.

I can understand an ilvl boost to just shy of current honor gear, but no higher. If you want instant gratification, go somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it'd be perfect. They already scale up the level of lower leveled players in PvP brackets, as well as they're going to be increasing the item level floor of honor gear each season Warlords, I don't see why they shouldn't do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AwdBawl View Post
    I worked for my gear; you should work too. You are not special.

Seeing your character's constant progression in strength/durability as you invest time is what makes it worthwhile. There is no incentive to get gear if everyone's always maxed out, and that kills the fun.

I can understand an ilvl boost to just shy of current honor gear, but no higher. If you want instant gratification, go somewhere else.
    I think it'd work a bit like...:

Player item level = 500
    Starter PvP gear = 515
    Honor PVP gear = 530
    Veteran's PvP gear = 545

Player item level would get scaled to 515.

I rather see them increase the honor and conquest gains a bit then using a scaling band-aid. I can imagine that even with the catchup and the new deserter debuff for arena it's tiresome to get 20k+ conquest points.

Hopefully they will implent the extra rewards from PvP in WoD and revise the current reward system. Fully geared players have nothing to aim for after they get elite sets except for titles and lower end of the spectrum people have a hard time catching up.

ilil scaling up won't remove incentive to gearing. It just makes poorly geared players perform better. Scaled up gear should not be better than Honor gear.

ilil 522 would be good for instance. Honor would still be better.