Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World PvP nostalgia

Hey guys! So I stumbled over some good ol' Nostaliga browsing the EU Defias Brotherhood forum, remembering back on times when world pvp'ing on Ravenholdt.

Share your nostalgia, anything from Tarren Mill vs Southshore Vanilla pvp, to Tol Barad Peninsula zergs between guilds.

Any former Zylos Hand / Dark Saints from Ravenholdt by all means drop by a PM as well.

I used to do a fair bit of world pvp with a gank perspective world pvp guild, rather small scale called Zylos Hand, at least during my time with them, ganking outside of stormwind, going in 2-3 man groups around Mount Hyjal, building up big events easily back with Have Group Will Travel. Ah the days. Still do world pvp on Sylvanas with Vengeful Dawn, but having some Nostalgia with people that may have experienced the same at the same time is always cool, so lets get to it!

You used to be able to attract people to fight by attacking outposts. Killing a merchant or flight master was a sure bet to cause pvp.

I also enjoyed jumping to the roof in auberdine, mind controlling a merchant, and letting a newbie click (attack it on accident) to flag themself for pvp. Mind controlling weldon barov at chillwind point was good stuff too. He could hit like a truck.

Eye of Kilrogg in Gadgetzan was a lot of fun. I'd get on my warlock, summon an Eye, and just run around the town with it. Eventually, some noob who never saw an Eye of Kilrogg before would get curious and hit it. Then the guards would promptly own said noob. I would also try to dart the eye around NPCs and other things the horde player may try to right click, which would cause an accidental auto attack, and more ownage from guards. Good times.

My old guild also used to do "border patrol" stuff. We'd pick some zone that only had one entrance/chokepoint (like the bridge going to EPL), and we'd guard that bridge. No Hordies got in or out. They could still use the flight paths, of course, but we still got a lot of action at the bridge. Could be done at various other zones as well.

Kiting the Pit Commander / various other elites from the Dark Portal to Thrallmar was always fun too.

We also used to dress up as pirates (use the savory deviate delight thing) and take over the horde zeppelins/ships. That was a lot of fun.

Deleted
    I remember going to Darkshire on my priest to mind controll guards and then use those guards to kill players ^^
    Had a lot of fun with mind control... maybe I should give it another try

I remember back when I started in vanilla I was 13 years old I believe. I walked to Tarren Mill for the first time and was mercilessly killed by an level ? alliance rogue. From that point on I wasted so much time at Tarren Mill just because it was epic. The massive battles of alliance vs horde. It was literally a battlefield with dead bodies and skeletons scattered throughout the land. And anyone could participate, granted at variable levels of help. Level 40s were fighting along side level 60s. The sheer epicness of this massive battle unfolding and you taking part of it is something that I truly do miss.

I had some great world pvp fun in vanilla. Used to play a lock back then, I loved doing these things:

- Stand on one particular spot in Booty Bay, above water, and nuke passerbys. The trick was, it was a bugged location so guards couldn't attack me. They could only shoot at me and it would push me into the water so I could easily escape them, then come back and start all over again. I did a crapton of griefing that way, to the point where a GM whispered me and told me to stop it or he'd ban me for abusing a spot where guards can't get to me.

- Jump from the cliff overlooking Lakeshire onto the Lakeshire Inn roof. From there, 2-3 of us could literally keep the entire town hostage, shooting down lowbies when they tried to pass through the town or get to the inn to deliver quests, killing NPCs etc. After awhile, level 60s would start arriving from Stormwind, and then it would turn into a veritable wall, with us camping on the roof and them trying to surround us and get to us (there were no flying mounts back then, and jumping from the cliff onto the roof took like 50% of your hp). Oftentimes it took 10+ of them to take us down.

- stealthing into Ironforge as a rogue and ganking flagged people. Oh the joy.

I also loved Halaa pvp in TBC.

Deleted
    On my old dwarf priest I used to sit pretending to be afk at the top of the lift leading from barrens into thousand needles, there would always be somebody who'd try their luck and flag themselves leaving them open to mind control and prompt suicide by way of jumping off the cliff. Used to love stuff like that

i would sneak into ironforge and mc people who just came out of a bg to fight the battlemasters, ah... good laughs in the good o'days

Deleted
    Well WPVP is very much alive on Defias Brotherhood EU
    Am in a big WPVP guild, we constantly fight in randoms places around the world.
    People who think WPVP is dead need to join our realm

I loved world PvP back in the TBC days, played as a feral druid.

I used to love going to Strangle Thorn Vale or Tauren Mill. I didn't go to there to gank 30s though, I went there to gank the 70s who came to gank the 30s. Also had some fun at Hammerfall.

My favorites was taking on 2 or 3 other level 70s and still winning. Sucks they have no more TBC servers you can really play like that on anymore, the only good one out now isn't in the US which makes the latency suicide against anyone with half a brain.

I got into some WPvP the other day, but it basically turned into the other person circling on a flying mount and taunting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phan View Post
    Well WPVP is very much alive on Defias Brotherhood EU
    Am in a big WPVP guild, we constantly fight in randoms places around the world.
    People who think WPVP is dead need to join our realm
    Or you could join Sylvanas where the best world pvp is

world pvp is a mess.. no respect for eachother nowadays

- camping searing gorge entrance into blackrock
    - hunters raping everyone in STV at hemet
    - i still remember fondly the first days of TBC - the lagfest in hellfire and gathering those 8 wood 8 metal parts, dear god
    - i think one of the most successful world pvp zones blizzard ever made was sunwell isle - overall mobs were easy to kill, but everything was close + the layout was easy to both gank as a group or solo
    - think i have spent more time running across tanaris desert as a ghost than ive played 60-90, because there just always is a hunter to shoot you from somewhere in tanaris
    - felwood farming for my first rare set for rogue, a 1v1 with an annoying warrior turned to 40v40 in the tunnels to moonglade

tbh blizzard should have had a system to store your screenshots in their database. i used to have so many screenshots but most of them just get lost due to moving reinstalling etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    the first great consistent WPvP I was involved in was Isle of Quel'danas

after school/work hours the isle used to turn alive and you'd see familiar faces everwhere doing their dailys. Big battles used to erupt outside the occupied town and we would just block chokepoints with groups of alliance for hours.
    mining nodes (especially khorium) would be hilarious, one person would go to mine and be interrupted by some horde, sometimes people would just keep trying to mine it and a small battle would develop around it

- - - Updated - - -

this is unfortunately the only screenshot I could find from Isle of Quel'danas

Played hunter back in the days, loved being out ganking, especially 1 vs 2 fights where I was put to the test so to speak fun as hell. Played a while on tarren mill alliance and loved to gank ensidia players outside raid entrance's. Lovely times. Maining monk these days and still doing world pvp. Playing on grim batol and here is world pvp almost everywhere. It so much fun, and people saying wpvp is dead prolly havent left the main city for 3 expansions wink wink.

Yeah, the Isle was good for PvP. I don't have any screencaps of that, unfortunately.

Best one I remember was in BC, when one of my guildies was being ganked/camped there 3v1 and couldn't get her dailies done. She finally got pissed enough to say something in guild chat. She wasn't big on PvP anyway, but much less against 3. We knew they were being dicks because it took a lot to make her complain, so we decided to go out there and do something about it.

Somehow, that ballooned to a 40-man raid. We just allowed everyone to invite people, so we had lots of non-guild friends in there. The three Hordies who started the whole thing gave up and left pretty quickly (as they were targets and got the worst of it when we first showed up). We ended up just running circles around the Isle and slaughtering all Horde players we saw for a while. No Alliance players had any trouble questing there for about an hour.

Sadly, the Hordies didn't put up any kind of organized fight. That would've been even more fun.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-06-23 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Eye of Kilrogg in Gadgetzan was a lot of fun. I'd get on my warlock, summon an Eye, and just run around the town with it. Eventually, some noob who never saw an Eye of Kilrogg before would get curious and hit it. Then the guards would promptly own said noob. I would also try to dart the eye around NPCs and other things the horde player may try to right click, which would cause an accidental auto attack, and more ownage from guards. Good times.

My old guild also used to do "border patrol" stuff. We'd pick some zone that only had one entrance/chokepoint (like the bridge going to EPL), and we'd guard that bridge. No Hordies got in or out. They could still use the flight paths, of course, but we still got a lot of action at the bridge. Could be done at various other zones as well.

Kiting the Pit Commander / various other elites from the Dark Portal to Thrallmar was always fun too.

We also used to dress up as pirates (use the savory deviate delight thing) and take over the horde zeppelins/ships. That was a lot of fun.
    i got a 3 hours ban because of spitting on a gm while me and my guildies captured the ship from wetlands to felwood.

not being nostalgic or shit though, game was new and a lot of fun.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Oh also, I've told this story a few times on MMO-C already, but it is appropriate for this thread.

Back in Classic, my Hunter friend and I were in Winterspring. I was helping him farm Timbermaw Hold rep (he wanted some agility enchant or something you got for exalted). While doing that, we saw an undead warrior who was at low health and in the middle of fighting a couple of those Furbolgs (apparently doing the same thing we were). So we ganked him, went on about our business, and forgot all about him.

Anyway, he decided to come back and have a not-so-friendly chat with us a few minutes later. Turned out he was a super-geared fury warrior in some Naxx guild (I was a level 60 prot warrior in blues, and my Hunter friend was level 55 in quest greens), and he stomped us hard. We were absolutely nowhere near his gear level. We were on vent trying to come up with strategies for killing this guy. We managed to get away and heal up at one point, came back at full health/popped all cooldowns, and he still owned us. We only killed him the first time because we blindsided him when he was at low health. Once he was at full health and buffed up on elixirs/food, there was seriously nothing we could do.

After about half an hour of one-sided ownage, my friend said "FUCK THIS GUY I'M HEARTHIN" on vent. I was actually getting ready to try calling in a third person. We were somewhat butthurt/pissed at the time because of how bad we got owned 2v1, but looking back, that was some funny shit.

Good times.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-06-26 at 02:02 AM.

Loved Isle of Quel'Danas and Wintergrasp. Tol Barad was worse already, although it had its moments. Tarren Mill was a big clusterf**k, it was only fun (for me) because it was something new. World PVP outside of these areas almost never delivered.