Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ugh... The Horde...

So a little background to dispel any bias. I played Alliance for most of my WoW... Career? Swapped to Horde about 4 years ago, never looked back. Raiding was a easier convenience with the Horde.

Anyways, just by a show of hands, anyone else fucking tired of the Horde? Lol. Look, I love being a member of the Horde, have a character for every race except goblin, nof fond of the tiny armor. However, I've grown a little sick of the spotlight the Horde got during some of TBC, all of MoP, and now WoD.

I'm not huge on reading up countless pages of wowwiki, reading the books etc.. But I do find lore important and interesting, purely based on the stories that unfold in game. Nevertheless, no matter how Blizzard tries to twist it, WoD is a Horde expansion. Gonna try to look up the quotes, but I remember a Blizzard employee, deflecting, stating that Draenor is the home of the space goats so they'll get just as much attention.

Eh.. All the Warlords are ORCS, and we're fighting the might of the Iron HORDE, all set course due to Garrosh fleeing. As awesome as the Horde is, there is another faction in game lol.

Now I'm not asking for a purely Alliance based expansion, though I wouldn't be against it due to the Horde's relentless assault on everything lore. But there has to be a balance. There should be a balance and there can be one.

Finally, I've played Horde and Alliance equally, so my bias is watered down, I just want some Alliance development. So, any other Horde member feel the same? Alliance your opinion matters too, what are your opinions?

Too much Horde?
    Not enough?
    Alliance not getting enough attention?

Posted this through my phone so sorry if there are any errors in grammar or punctuation, fix it up later lol.

Deleted
    yep, too much orcs everywhere but I play Forsaken and Alliance still looks uninteresting for me.

and about Alliance themed expansion... well, yes and no.

Yes for Alliance expansion only if Night Elves would be main Alliance race. For example for Azshara expansion and Stormwind(or Kul Tiras) and other Alliance factions would play only a support role.

No for expansion where well known Alliance(Stormwind&co.) would be most important.

I have always played the alliance and have been playing now since early vanilla. I felt the storyline was always pretty balanced gameplay wise between the two factions.

Lore vs Gameplay is another area.

In lore the exodar can fly, the horde were all but smashed in ashenvale and the alliance forces are huge in comparrison to the remaining horde forces.
    But
    As a game the story must be semi balanced.

The story of the warlords is only the mechanic that unlocks the new areas but that being said the remainder of the expansion is unknown to us currently.

Cata and mop where the two expansions where I felt the horde storyline was expanded upon a lot more then the alliance but that being said in classic and bc the alliance storylines were great and the horde suffered. Hell I would even say that wotlk was more alliance biased storylines then horde.

Expressing the lore is difficult, and ideas sound better on paper. There's always too much of something, less of the other. We all know Horde gets more loving. I play both factions, so it gives me a better understanding of what's going on.

The Alliance is naturally more boring to write for because they're such a stereotypical fantasy cliche. The Horde has much more interesting races and characters.

This post made me realize what it is that always rubbed me wrong about the Horde.

It's an entire faction made up of the world's minorities, and yet they are ruled by a sole leader (unlike the Alliance which is more of a confederacy), and their aesthetics are entirely orcish.

Horde Garrisons so far seem to be just Orc huts with tauren totems.

Alliance Garrisons are designed by humans, but built by and run by the other races.

For a faction of underdogs and outcasts, their 'diversity' is practically nonexistent.
    The post that Blizzard banned me for:
    2014-11-28 19:55:26 [Trade - City] Potassiumgluconate: female dwarf butts are the best thing that this expansion has given us.
    Butts are a touchy subject.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    All the Warlords are ORCS, and we're fighting the might of the Iron HORDE, all set course due to Garrosh fleeing. As awesome as the Horde is, there is another faction in game lol.
    Not all orcs are Horde, just as not all humans are Alliance.

Humans are just dull, that's the problem. They did well with the whole Arthas thing, having one of their good guys go bad, but other than that, there isn't much to write about that would extend into an epic story.

This game is always orcs vs humans. Other races have been somewhat of a side point, with the exception of W3 with the night elves. Even the undead are basically just the tragic story of well...humans.

The horde is simply more complex, and thus, easier to write about.

Now, they could do something with the dwarves regarding the split throne. They could have done something big with gnomeregan. The night elves have tons of lore to be explored, and the Dranei are pretty mystereous, to the point that they could have lots more lore written about them (and they will in WoD).

But because the game is orc-v-human, they only write major stories with them involved.

If you think an expansion is Horde-based due to what enemies we fight, chances are you're not going to see an Alliance-based expansion. There's not really any large enemy faction composed entirely of Alliance races, with the Dark Iron dwarves having joined the Alliance. So unless we get Siege of Stormwind, you're out of luck.

Although, now that I think about it, I could go for a gnome expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    Yes for Alliance expansion only if Night Elves would be main Alliance race. For example for Azshara expansion and Stormwind(or Kul Tiras) and other Alliance factions would play only a support role.

No for expansion where well known Alliance(Stormwind&co.) would be most important.
    I kind of feel as though WC3 was pretty much "all about night elves". The culmination of WC3 was about the war against the world tree, and even the xpac had a lot of NE play, what with the Wardens and Illidan and all.

However, that being said - I would not mind a Night Elf (possibly NE and BE) expansion. I don't think they can do the Emerald Dream at this point since all the main-players have either woken up from the dream or been killed. That and Ysera seems to make much more frequent appearances, which kind of makes the Dream itself seem a lot less important... Perhaps it could be done in one content update.

Tyrande doesn't get a lot of attention though, and I think she should - at least as much as Sylvanas if not more since she's gone so neglected. A NE xpac would also be a good time to introduce Warden's (and Demon Hunter as a 4th Warlock Spec) as a hero class. Or at least some Warden armor for rogues to wear (and perhaps a blink-oriented Warden spec as the rogues 4th).

At this point though there are only a few hard-hitting lore-points left to hit, and a bunch of smaller ones that could be captured in content updates;

Big ones:
    * Azshara/Naga/Deep Sea
    * Sargeras (perhaps WoD will usher in the next demon-based xpac?)

Smaller ones:
    * Undermine (Goblins)
    * Blood Elves (new Well of Eternity?)
    * Dwarves (King Magni/Old Ironforge/Triumverate)
    * Gnomes (Are they ever going to get Gnomeregan back?
    * Tauren (will Baine EVER get a kickass character model? Dad never did thats for sure)
    * Blood Elves (pretty much never do anything unless it has to do with Kael'thas being a total doucher)
    * Night Elves (Teldrassil ever going to just fall apart since its cursed? Or are the NE's ever going to get immortality back? Demon hunters, wardens, etc?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I wouldn't say I'm tired of the Horde (I've played Horde on my main and alts for my entire time in WoW), but I'm definitely getting tired of *Orcs*. I wouldn't mind seeing another race, Horde or Alliance, take the marquee position of an expansion for a change. Perhaps something dealing with the Night Elf/High Elf split, the issues with the Explorer's League and the Tauren tribes butting heads in Kalimdor, or pretty much anything that wasnt' related to Orcs or their history. I think WoD is shaping up to be a great expansion with great story-lines, but I find myself more interested in the Draenei and Legion parts of it as opposed to meeting or dealing with the Iron Horde or the Orcish Clan chieftains.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a fellow hordie, I'm with you on this one. Specifically, I'm a little tired of seeing orcs in the spotlight. It would be nice to have a more neutral focused expansion ala TBC or Wrath for a change.

Note: I also think human pressence, more specifically King Chin, could be toned down a little. I don't like how this guy comes off as an amazing figure that all other races cowtow to for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I don't agree with you that WoD is a Horde expansion. That's like saying an Azshara-themed expansion would be an Alliance expansion. It's like saying Gnomeregan was an Alliance instance. We should all find all or most lore arcs interesting, and whoever doesn't find something specific interesting, that's their problem.

That being said, I am extremely tired with the endless focus on the Orcs. The only reason why I'm still excited for this expansion is because it's Draenor. That simply brings back great memories. I can't help but feel great about that. So I've decided that I'm going to make the main story arc (the Iron Horde) interesting to myself as well. And I'm going to do that by reading Rise of the Horde.

I think it's detrimental to the enjoyment when one tries to label everything. "WOD" is a horde expansion. "WOD" is a "filler expansion.. Yeah it has Orcs, but that doesn't mean it can't be so much more than that, especially since we're only seeing Alpha pieces atm instead of fleshed out storylines. When you start putting things in labels like that, everything will start to act like it based on the bias.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    That's like saying an Azshara-themed expansion would be an Alliance expansion. It's like saying Gnomeregan was an Alliance instance.
    I must be missing the lore here - why would Azshara be aimed toward the Alliance? And how was Gnomeregan not an Alliance instance?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind another Horde-centric expansion.

Maraad is one of the Warlords.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    Yes for Alliance expansion only if Night Elves would be main Alliance race.
    That would be worst x-pac ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also like to point out that the Draenei figure heavily into WoD, from all indications so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    So a little background to dispel any bias. I played Alliance for most of my WoW... Career? Swapped to Horde about 4 years ago, never looked back. Raiding was a easier convenience with the Horde.

Anyways, just by a show of hands, anyone else fucking tired of the Horde? Lol. Look, I love being a member of the Horde, have a character for every race except goblin, nof fond of the tiny armor. However, I've grown a little sick of the spotlight the Horde got during some of TBC, all of MoP, and now WoD.

I'm not huge on reading up countless pages of wowwiki, reading the books etc.. But I do find lore important and interesting, purely based on the stories that unfold in game. Nevertheless, no matter how Blizzard tries to twist it, WoD is a Horde expansion. Gonna try to look up the quotes, but I remember a Blizzard employee, deflecting, stating that Draenor is the home of the space goats so they'll get just as much attention.

Eh.. All the Warlords are ORCS, and we're fighting the might of the Iron HORDE, all set course due to Garrosh fleeing. As awesome as the Horde is, there is another faction in game lol.

Now I'm not asking for a purely Alliance based expansion, though I wouldn't be against it due to the Horde's relentless assault on everything lore. But there has to be a balance. There should be a balance and there can be one.

Finally, I've played Horde and Alliance equally, so my bias is watered down, I just want some Alliance development. So, any other Horde member feel the same? Alliance your opinion matters too, what are your opinions?

Too much Horde?
    Not enough?
    Alliance not getting enough attention?

Posted this through my phone so sorry if there are any errors in grammar or punctuation, fix it up later lol.
    Tbh you should really read the books . Alliance do get alot of cool lore.
    Btw JUST because we fight orcs does not make it a horde expansion. This is just as much a alliance based exp then a horde one.
    Wait what? how is Tbc and Mop a horde expansion :s i saw quite a lot of alliance there or did you miss all that ?

And again if you like the lore , Read the books.
    Last edited by Xeroz; 2014-06-10 at 05:09 PM.