Deleted

Resto druid and CC

Hello!
    I haven't played for 2 years and recently got back into playing- currently gearing up a new Resto Druid, with only a couple of pieces short now of full pvp gear. (roughly ilvl520)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice when it comes to avoiding a quick death in arena- Whilst some games in 2v2 & 3v3 I can last right through without an issue. But most of them I simply get CC locked to death within seconds. According to all the videos and guides out there I'm doing everything right but clearly not as I notice other druids not dieing. I don't tend to have this issue in BGs and can FC without issue with a lot of people attacking me...
    I was just wondering if anyone had any advice at all!

Thanks

Healers are having trouble right now and with the changes coming with WoD, I'm sure we will be safer next season. You have to avoid and play harder.

Deleted
    Cheers for the replies- so it really is simply down to current mechanics and running away! So really it's more that we need to support each team member more as opposed to the 'I'll kill this you CC that' set in stone technique.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Druid's and Monks at the moment have the best chance of surviving and escaping CC chains but most of all you have to utilize your positions and comrades' ability to support you.

One thing to keep in mind is that 520 ilvl is low now. Conquest gear is 550 so you are probably playing players that have this seasons best gear with last seasons gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelthor View Post
    Hello!
    I haven't played for 2 years and recently got back into playing- currently gearing up a new Resto Druid, with only a couple of pieces short now of full pvp gear. (roughly ilvl520)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice when it comes to avoiding a quick death in arena- Whilst some games in 2v2 & 3v3 I can last right through without an issue. But most of them I simply get CC locked to death within seconds. According to all the videos and guides out there I'm doing everything right but clearly not as I notice other druids not dieing. I don't tend to have this issue in BGs and can FC without issue with a lot of people attacking me...
    I was just wondering if anyone had any advice at all!

Thanks
    Welcome back and grats on playing the best class in the game. I'll try summarize a few things that could hopefully help.

-Gear up first. Don't stop doing arena, but do all forms of pvp until you have enough gear and are properly equipped, gemmed and enchanted.
    -Ease into it. It will take a little while to get in the swing of things after being gone long, so don't beat yourself up.
    -Communicate with your partner. Call out any cc you predict coming, like those scummy priests dropping magic feathers to come and fear you.
    -Good use of Displacer Beast can save you from cc
    -Positioning is very important. You can pillar hump like crazy and pop out only to top off your partner. This is great because you're not hard casting a lot. Make sure you're in range of your partner, but out of range of the enemy as much as you can.
    -Make use of any cc interrupts you have like typhoon, displacer to outrange, disorienting roar
    -Make use of your own cc: cyclone to stop them doing the same.
    -Use your movement speed to your advantage. Travel form, stampeding roar, sprint, etc.
    -If you do prefer wild charge over displacer (most resto druids don't) you can also 'leap' to your partner or a mushroom that you've placed down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Healers are having trouble right now and with the changes coming with WoD, I'm sure we will be safer next season. You have to avoid and play harder.
    This is highly inaccurate. All healers are quite strong right now with good options, except for priests in 3v3 - and even they can do allright with PHDk, RMP etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    Welcome back and grats on playing the best class in the game. I'll try summarize a few things that could hopefully help.

-Gear up first. Don't stop doing arena, but do all forms of pvp until you have enough gear and are properly equipped, gemmed and enchanted.
    -Ease into it. It will take a little while to get in the swing of things after being gone long, so don't beat yourself up.
    -Communicate with your partner. Call out any cc you predict coming, like those scummy priests dropping magic feathers to come and fear you.
    -Good use of Displacer Beast can save you from cc
    -Positioning is very important. You can pillar hump like crazy and pop out only to top off your partner. This is great because you're not hard casting a lot. Make sure you're in range of your partner, but out of range of the enemy as much as you can.
    -Make use of any cc interrupts you have like typhoon, displacer to outrange, disorienting roar
    -Make use of your own cc: cyclone to stop them doing the same.
    -Use your movement speed to your advantage. Travel form, stampeding roar, sprint, etc.
    -If you do prefer wild charge over displacer (most resto druids don't) you can also 'leap' to your partner or a mushroom that you've placed down.

- - - Updated - - -

This is highly inaccurate. All healers are quite strong right now with good options, except for priests in 3v3 - and even they can do allright with PHDk, RMP etc.

Great response thank you very much!
    I played an arms war for 5 years- so I have a knack for running in... Think my problems may lie there a lot... From what you and others have been saying I haven't been taking into account positional play very well at all- which is probably reasoning for 80% of these deaths. No doubt the gear plays a part in the big hits too.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because of your gear. Your gear is absolute dogshit and any braindead player who's fully geared can kill you.

Once you're fully geared you shouldn't have much trouble at all if you do these things:
    -Have full HoTs on you when they go on you and you're going to get CCed.
    -Pre-Ironbark/Cenarian Ward
    -Barkskin when needed, don't waste it -just- because you're in a stun.
    -CC and kiting. Resto druids survive by CCing the DPS and kiting the DPS. You should never really stand still when being trained, always stay on the move and when things get rough, Disorienting Roar into Cyclone will mean you're 100% fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    That's because of your gear. Your gear is absolute dogshit and any braindead player who's fully geared can kill you.

Once you're fully geared you shouldn't have much trouble at all if you do these things:
    -Have full HoTs on you when they go on you and you're going to get CCed.
    -Pre-Ironbark/Cenarian Ward
    -Barkskin when needed, don't waste it -just- because you're in a stun.
    -CC and kiting. Resto druids survive by CCing the DPS and kiting the DPS. You should never really stand still when being trained, always stay on the move and when things get rough, Disorienting Roar into Cyclone will mean you're 100% fine.
    This is good advice on survival.

Be careful, Zelthor. Enemy teams will take advantage of one of the biggest weakness of rdruids which is the hard swap. They'll go to town on you and maybe use up some of your defensives like ironbark, wait til you have full hots, then cc you to hell and hard swap to your dps. So above all I mentioned I think most people would safely say communication/partner awareness + positioning are the two big takeaways (other than gearing up, ofc )

Deleted
    The advice has really helped guys thanks! Starting to creep up more now rating wise- winning far more games than previous! And with better gear I'm not dieing half as much or as fast... So thanks guys!

Deleted
    Druids is probably the hardest healer to play in pvp at (I didn't say worst, just high skill-cap) - definitely most fun for me ^^

You have a lot of utility, damage mitigation, mobility, CC, crazy damage (with hotw) etc.

What you are NOT, however is a resto shaman or a holy priest. Those guys can take a serious beating, get breathing room for 2 casts and be full HP.
    You can't do that so you have to use your arsenal to avoid damage rather than heal it (on yourself).

Quote Originally Posted by Anboniwow View Post
    Druids is probably the hardest healer to play in pvp at (I didn't say worst, just high skill-cap) - definitely most fun for me ^^

You have a lot of utility, damage mitigation, mobility, CC, crazy damage (with hotw) etc.

What you are NOT, however is a resto shaman or a holy priest. Those guys can take a serious beating, get breathing room for 2 casts and be full HP.
    You can't do that so you have to use your arsenal to avoid damage rather than heal it (on yourself).
    I actually feel like druids can take more of a beating than shaman, especially vs melee. Resto Shaman biggest weakness is vulnerability to melee cleaves, hence 'train the blue'. The rise of strong caster comps all with resto sham as healers have created a small niche for cleaves that can just tunnel the shaman to win.

Druids, while being able to take a beating better, are much more vulnerable to hard swaps and getting full hots rolling again on another target - also lock teams (which shaman easily counter with tremor).

If druids had a soul swap like mechanic it would solve this problem, but then they would be too powerful as they're balanced around the current design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    I actually feel like druids can take more of a beating than shaman, especially vs melee. Resto Shaman biggest weakness is vulnerability to melee cleaves, hence 'train the blue'. The rise of strong caster comps all with resto sham as healers have created a small niche for cleaves that can just tunnel the shaman to win.

Druids, while being able to take a beating better, are much more vulnerable to hard swaps and getting full hots rolling again on another target - also lock teams (which shaman easily counter with tremor).

If druids had a soul swap like mechanic it would solve this problem, but then they would be too powerful as they're balanced around the current design.
    I wholeheartedly agree on what you said about Shaman. A lot of people don't seem to understand how vulnerable they really are and pass them off as being able to do anything.

Anyway, it'd be interesting if Druid's gained a Soul Swap mechanic on a fair enough cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree on what you said about Shaman. A lot of people don't seem to understand how vulnerable they really are and pass them off as being able to do anything.

Anyway, it'd be interesting if Druid's gained a Soul Swap mechanic on a fair enough cooldown.
    I really don't want to see any more of that soul swap mechanic bullshit. Swapping off Lifeblooms insta is already bullshit enough + the amount of low cooldown CDs they have only makes them even more annoying to deal with as any class.

I can also vouche for ho squishy shamans are especially vs KFC-like comps. Last few games that got me 2200 were vs shaman teams we literally beat in the first minute.

practice is key, the more you play - the better you adapt