Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do people still care about the Alliance?

I've been playing Horde for a long time. And even I have to admit, that the WoW, and Blizzard in general are pretty Horde-centric. When was the last interesting storyline that featured the Alliance? The Vanilla Onyxia chain? And Varian, the leader of the Alliance, at first he was watered down mirror Garrosh, now he's watered down mirror Thrall? He even has a similar backstory, slave to orcs, then escaped, sounds familiar...

When I was watching Blizzcon, plenty of in depth discussion and artwork on the Warlords, and what you are going to be doing with them there in Draenor. And for Draenei, one piece of artwork for a character, and promises they will have some really cool stuff?

You even see this type of thing spill over into Hearthstone, 4 Orcs in a list of 9 Heroes? Thrall, Gul'dan, Rexxar, Garrosh. Where's Velen? Where's Hemet Nesingwary? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, the promo artwork did feature an Orc surrounded by Orc women beating a Gnome.

Is the Alliance just there so that the Horde seems to have some sort of punching bag or anti-thesis, so that they can look like the underdogs?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda have lost faith in Blizzard myself but I do care about the Alliance and I think that they can make great lore if they hire someone that loves the Alliance over the Horde.

But yeah, the things they presented in Blizzcon certainly screamed orc, orc, orc with a bit of draenei thrown in just cause. Even Yrel- the only character I am looking forward to, less so now that she is Maraad's armcandy- who is a character that Blizzard tried to hype felt a last minute addition. "Oh btw have this new character Yrel too whom starts as a naive priestess. Let's go back to Gromm and #savage now."

Been Alliance since the beginning. The only Alliance leaders I care about are either dead, neutral or beaten to a weakened pulp (*cough* NIGHT ELVES *cough*)
    I'd agree that the Alliance is just here to make the Horde look good. It's getting pretty old.

Then again, I haven't cared about the story since Arthas died. I'm still hoping for a WC4 that picks up where TFT left off so we can forget the abomination that has been WoW's story.

Alliance does have a few interesting points, but overall it's your typical fantasy united-kingdom.

Horde is something actually unique to Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Alliance does have a few interesting points, but overall it's your typical fantasy united-kingdom.

Horde is something actually unique to Warcraft.
    That's because Blizzard writes them that way. If they had people on staff that actually knew or cared to write interesting story for the Alliance, then things might be different.

I played Alliance for many years, but after a while I just got fed up with being there as a story plot for the Horde. I switched to Horde and have tried to look back to Alliance, but just can't bring myself to do so due to the lack of interesting story. Since the end of Cata when we all got saved by Green Jesus, it's continually been extremely bias towards Horde. WoD sure looks to be the same as we're fighting Orcs, but who knows how we're actually opposing them. What we know of the expansion so far is that it's going to feature a ton of great Orc lore characters. Additionally, we'll see one human and two Draenei with almost no back story. That's pretty much it from what I've seen.

There looks to be plenty of room for Horde story progression, but the only story I see for the Alliance is, "Iron Horde is going to destroy your city, and you're going to struggle to reclaim something with some people that we will shoehorn some story in to.

I'm going to stick with Horde and actually enjoy doing something, not just sitting back and replying like Alliance have been for almost two whole expansions now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's because Blizzard writes them that way. If they had people on staff that actually knew or cared to write interesting story for the Alliance, then things might be different.

I played Alliance for many years, but after a while I just got fed up with being there as a story plot for the Horde. I switched to Horde and have tried to look back to Alliance, but just can't bring myself to do so due to the lack of interesting story. Since the end of Cata when we all got saved by Green Jesus, it's continually been extremely bias towards Horde. WoD sure looks to be the same as we're fighting Orcs, but who knows how we're actually opposing them. What we know of the expansion so far is that it's going to feature a ton of great Orc lore characters. Additionally, we'll see one human and two Draenei with almost no back story. That's pretty much it from what I've seen.

There looks to be plenty of room for Horde story progression, but the only story I see for the Alliance is, "Iron Horde is going to destroy your city, and you're going to struggle to reclaim something with some people that we will shoehorn some story in to.

I'm going to stick with Horde and actually enjoy doing something, not just sitting back and replying like Alliance have been for almost two whole expansions now.
    Well, with Yrel and the Draenei and the Worgen in WoD, I'm sure we might have a come back for Alliance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Does the Alliance still love the people?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    The Horde is anything but unique to Warcraft ... seriously, it isn't. It is an alliance of necessity for the most part and that is a very common thing.

The Horde is the only reason the alliance exist...

With out the horde, races of the alliance would have

A) Not joined to fight off demons
    B) Fought Each Other over land/ resources/ territory
    C) Humans would be individual factions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The Horde is anything but unique to Warcraft ... seriously, it isn't. It is an alliance of necessity for the most part and that is a very common thing.
    Wrong.

Every horde race has a theme behind them that other MMO's don't have for their factions
    Right...wrong...The universe doesn't care
    Driefal,Etrith(Retired)

Alliance has the only space-faring race. If we just get a Draenei fleet to bombard Azeroth into submission in WoD, then everyone would be more excited!

It's par for the course. Talk about how awesome the Horde is, show what awesome things are being worked on for the Horde, promise lots of cool stuff for the Alliance to come.....then release the game.

I've mostly lost all hope for anything interesting for the Alliance. Honestly it's the lackluster story that first tanked my enjoyment of the game and I've been drifting further and further.

I'm at the point where I think I'll still play WoD at least to level cap, but doubting my intent of the Collector's Edition now.

People care about alliance. They are not just vocal as the ''For the horde badasses''

Quote Originally Posted by Siphix View Post

Wrong.

Every horde race has a theme behind them that other MMO's don't have for their factions
    If you're breaking it down to racial thematics, then I'm sorry, but WoW is still an EverQuest imitator in many ways. That's pretty much what WoW is built on; imitation, but making it their own and with more polish.

But thinking WoW, it's races, or the Horde are unique....nope. That's because there's no original story anymore, just ways to retell the same old stories in new, interesting ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Alliance has the only space-faring race. If we just get a Draenei fleet to bombard Azeroth into submission in WoD, then everyone would be more excited!
    "Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people on the alliance probably don't even know about the lore. Would be nice if they threw them a bone but that's probably asking too much. They barely are giving alliance some decent racials let alone a good story.

Ugh must we do this again?

Yes, I care about the Alliance. I also reject the notion that they're somehow hard done-by in the story department. There's been more Orcs at the forefront of the lore lately but that's just the nature of the story. Hell if the Orcs hadn't invaded there would be no story in Warcraft I and II. This is partly because the villain drives the plot. The playable Horde are not the villains, but Garrosh and the Iron Horde are...

I'd love to see more Alliance lore, particularly for some of the more neglected races (same goes for the Horde), but let's stop this obnoxious self pitying and accusing Blizzard of some kind of absurd racism against factions they made up themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    It also now has a flying city full of wizards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Weren't the first 2 expansions alliance focused while the next 2 were horde focused? Obviously WOD is a little more horde focus than ally.. from what we've seen.

No, Blizzards favouritism made sure of that.

It has been clear to me since wrathgate.
    Bolvar comes in, barely able to defend himself against the swarming scourge while his men around him die or just watch.
    Suddenly horde. Saurfang cleaves 3 Wrykul away and not a single horde member dies in the background.
    Then Saurfang faces Arthas, charging him and dying a heroes death while Bolvar watches.
    Bolvar then dies claiming "everything is over", being overly dramatic like a sissy even though he should be the kings hand and not a wuss.

Then much later, cataclysm.
    The alliance loses base after base, Gilneas is a pvp battleground and in the actual game world bombarded by the forsaken.
    Gilneas and this thing near the dark portal are the only worgen cities while their main hub is in DARNASSUS which nobody ever visits while Goblins are EEEEEVERYWHERE and have a nice beach party right in orgrimmar.
    Ashzara got reshaped as a horde symbol, Thrall literally became green kung fu action jesus.
    Still hordies cried because they lost fucking Taurajo. TAURAJO for crying out loud. Stornwind lost the park and looks kinda ruined while orgrimmar got a major overhaul.

Then MOP
    The alliance loses a WHOLE city with theramore.
    The alliance is displayed defensively, healing and tanking while the horde goes bombing and charging for war when they are introduced to the pandaren.
    Also, the alliance welcoming is just... bla bla be nice to each other, by the way, i need a punch to my face.
    Horde version ends in a full blown arena fight to the death.
    The major bad guy is the former warchief of the horde anf the final raif is the hordes home town
    Every time an alliance character is having the time to shine, a hirde character draws in all the attention.
    They retcon Varian every five seconds, going from full on hate for the horde to "well maybe they are nice after all" back to hate then to "let them have their honor" to hate again it's just stupid.
    How many times did varian have the chanve to cleave thralls, garroshes or Voljins head for christs sake.

Next we have a whole addon about orcs.

Oh right.
    And since the mightiest shaman, warlock and death knight all were orcs, the mightiest mage and hunter have to be at least PART orc to keep the horde in...

Also no alliance race had a major piece of plot the last 2 xpacs besides humans and maybe worgen while horde lore is shoehorned in every five minutes
    Last edited by Harthmut; 2014-06-13 at 02:19 AM.

people look into it too much, trying to find reasons to justify an argument that doesn't exist. like the guy above me lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnta View Post
    Weren't the first 2 expansions alliance focused while the next 2 were horde focused? Obviously WOD is a little more horde focus than ally.. from what we've seen.
    BC was an extremely well balanced expansion as far story lines go. It ended with the redemption of the Blood Elves by the Naaru.

Wrath everyone tries to spin as being focused on the Alliance because Arthas use to be human. Which ignoring that, he became what he is because of an Orc and that he created the Forsaken.

Cataclysm: horribly slated towards the Horde.

Mists I would say was fairly balanced, my only complaint is that the Alliance were promised a fist pumping moment that never materialized. SoO does not count as a fist pumping moment as helping your enemy retake their capital and then handing it over to them is hardly something to get excited about.

WoD is to early to tell from what I have seen. Hopefully they actually allow the Draenei a chance to be in the plot past Shadow Moon.

Edit: I forgot about Theramore. X-(
    Last edited by Fayolynn; 2014-06-13 at 02:49 AM.