Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can I do CM's with PvP Gear?

As title says, can I do Challenge Mode and aim for Gold with PvP gear?

I'll either DPS or Tank, but some people prefer Blood DK's. So is it doable with PvP gear?

You can, but you're losing out because PvP gear lacks sockets.

I'd also advise getting any PvE trinkets - even the 463 ones from heroics will be better than PvP trinkets.

Yes, strats > gear for CMs.
    As long as you get do half decent DPS you'll be fine.
    CMs are mostly about cheesing mechanics and fights.

The bit about sockets is crap. PvP gear has more sockets than the 463 gear CMs were designed for. PvP trinkets, though, are really crappy so try to replace those (463 trinkets or the ToT valor trinket are viable options if you don't want to buy a darkmoon card).

Strategy and gear both matter, but if you're only going for bare-minimum Gold times, PvP gear is plenty adequate. It's a big step up from timeless isle gear and that's proved enough for many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    But PVP gear has less sockets than most people will have on the gear they are using for CMs now. Yes, you can do it in PVP gear (definitely get PVE trinkets though) but the problem is going to be finding groups that will take you. As you generally have no idea how well people can play, the first thing prospective groups will look at is your gear and your experience (if you have any). So while doable with PVP gear, you'll probably have to run your own groups or go with friends to do it.

Try and do it with some friends. PvP gear is enough to do it, but of course the more sockets the more leeway you have. Like others have said trinkets are really important. Most SoO ones are straight crap when they scale down. What's more important than gear is your individual gear, and a competent group leader. I took a CM clueless hunter into SH yesterday and he did just fine, cause he knew his class. We didn't set a record, but did finish something like 2.5 minutes ahead of time.

Yup, And if you do it as blood you will enjoy it.

Just get that horn, I can't remember its name that taunts every mob in 40yrds, will help A LOT!!!
    I did my gold as blood all the way through, it was so much fun, even more fun than solo tanking raid bosses I shouldn't be solo tanking... xD

Anyway, Also be prepared to change your talents, and glyphs, and even play style to fit...

And if you do it as frost, I highly suggest Dual Wield Frost for the AOE output that it gives.

And if you need any help and tips feel free to send me a message, I'll be glad to help out.

What everyone else is saying. Grab two pve trinkets and some friends who know how to play and you'll be fine. Certainly won't get any realm bests but getting gold just requires you to play well and have decent gear.

People are getting gold 3-manning those. If I'm not mistaken, all 9 golds were 3-manned.

Does that answer your question? Does it answer any other question regarding 'what spec should I use for CM?' or 'what are the BiS items for gold medals?'?

I'm pretty sure it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

as many other ppl have said, not the trinkets, just cosigning that. everything else is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    I'm pretty sure it does.
    No, it doesn't. Those were 3-manned with an ideal comp (BrM, Disc, Ele for the most part), probably in BiS gear by highly skilled players with a lot of practice in CMs. What the top 1-5% of players in this game can do answers VERY LITTLE about what the majority of the player base can do.

Deleted
    Yes. Did them for a friend who had crappy gear and the ilvl 458 pvp outfit at the time. Tanked it on his warrior in full pvp gear with two dps rings and trinkets as he didn't have anything better. As mentioned by others, as long as you have knowledge of your class and of the dungeons, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    No, it doesn't. Those were 3-manned with an ideal comp (BrM, Disc, Ele for the most part), probably in BiS gear by highly skilled players with a lot of practice in CMs. What the top 1-5% of players in this game can do answers VERY LITTLE about what the majority of the player base can do.
    Regardless of their skill level, they're doing the gold timers with 3 people. All the extra damage they bring because of their perfect itemization and personal skill will never be higher than the damage of TWO extra people.

What I'm saying is, unless you go for the records, if you simply want GOLD medals, you can use literally ANY item with ilvl 463 in every slot, you can scrap the socket amount, you can forget about switching your meta-gem to the non-legendary one, you can use any 5 classes with any CC/buffs composition.

People who require stuff like bis gear like ra-den drops, darkmoon trinkets, maximum amount of sockets for GOLD RUN are completely nuts.
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

Deleted
    We did one cm gold with full pvp geared dps monk and no gems -freshly leveled, frankly i didn't care about gear cause you can always quickly fix it unlike player skill. Next run he was gemmed and we cleared the rest likewise on gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gihelle View Post
    You can, but you're losing out because PvP gear lacks sockets.

I'd also advise getting any PvE trinkets - even the 463 ones from heroics will be better than PvP trinkets.
    Since when does PvP gear lack sockets? Trinkets from PvP are probably going to be junk though, agree.

Somewhat off-topic...

Are DMF trinkets a make-or-break thing? This is with SoO gear fully socketed (got an alternate helm with non-legendary meta). I did SPM Gold last Friday as kind of a "litmus test" on my ret pally to see if it could be done, we got it done after a few attempts (were carrying someone) with 4 min to spare on the timer. However, I realize there's quite a few tougher CMs, so will I be a liability if I keep using Thok's/Galakras?

Reason I ask is because the DMF trnkets are going for 8k on my realm, and for that amount I feel like I could just straight up buy gold carries for the other 8 CMs I need.
    Last edited by Farabee; 2014-06-23 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    Regardless of their skill level, they're doing the gold timers with 3 people. All the extra damage they bring because of their perfect itemization and personal skill will never be higher than the damage of TWO extra people.

What I'm saying is, unless you go for the records, if you simply want GOLD medals, you can use literally ANY item with ilvl 463 in every slot, you can scrap the socket amount, you can forget about switching your meta-gem to the non-legendary one, you can use any 5 classes with any CC/buffs composition.

People who require stuff like bis gear like ra-den drops, darkmoon trinkets, maximum amount of sockets for GOLD RUN are completely nuts.
    It's also pretty normal for them to be running engineering (which can malfunction iirc) invis belt, and potting constantly. Getting "good gear" for CM's takes little effort, most people can do it with 10 mins browsing item recovery. That little effort to instantly make your CM's smoother is easily worth it.

Especially since anyone asking obviously hasn't done CM's before and won't be well versed in the tactics you use. It saves lot sof time having better gear to faceroll

Farabee there is no 'liability' really in CM's, you will just have to practice more if you aren't making the timer at first in SSB. 4 minutes in jade sounds like you should be fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Well I can agree with you Raiju on that part. If a person without 9/9 experience on other chars really wants to do CMs and tries to apply to, let's say, an OpenRaid even, it's at least expected to research SOMETHING - and obviously have the non-legendary meta, switch the gems to pure stat, find the DMF trinket (as you said, literally everyone would probably find one in item recovery)... However! If we're talking about a person already being accepted to the runs and probably running with a group of friends, I still insist that none of those things will actually
    1) make it worse if the player himself isn't fit for 9/9 gold
    2) make it better or easier if the player IS fir for 9/9 gold

This sums up my position, I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    Somewhat off-topic...

Are DMF trinkets a make-or-break thing? This is with SoO gear fully socketed (got an alternate helm with non-legendary meta). I did SPM Gold last Friday as kind of a "litmus test" on my ret pally to see if it could be done, we got it done after a few attempts (were carrying someone) with 4 min to spare on the timer. However, I realize there's quite a few tougher CMs, so will I be a liability if I keep using Thok's/Galakras?

Reason I ask is because the DMF trnkets are going for 8k on my realm, and for that amount I feel like I could just straight up buy gold carries for the other 8 CMs I need.
    I'd love to find the realm that's selling gold carries at 1k per CM lol

No, the DMF trinkets are definitely not a make or break thing. If you've got SoO gear and know how to play your class then you can easily do CMs - there's a learning curve per CM based on your comp and how difficult each might be, but getting golds doesn't really require any specific gear. If you want to go for realm bests then yeah, you will want to min/max your gear, get the CM BiS stuff for your class, etc, but that level of detail isn't needed just to get golds.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Farabee there is no 'liability' really in CM's, you will just have to practice more if you aren't making the timer at first in SSB. 4 minutes in jade sounds like you should be fine though.
    Was actually 4 minutes in Shado-Pan Monastery (20 min timer, did it in 16). I'm told it's one of the more lenient timers. We used the 4-click trick on the trash before Taran Zhu to skip most of it.