Deleted

Angry When a Mage becomes a Warlock...

Vanilla gear was well... vanilla. TBC brought a ton of gear with vibrant colors and pixelated edges, we all loved it and most of the gear from Vanilla and TBC fit the classes, of course some will disagree.

When WoTLK broke free from the ice, it had a lot of nice looking gear as well. I didn't play much during this era, but from the look of it, this is where the problem began.

The tier 8 set isn't bad, but the tier 9 triumphant set is just horrible.

Tier 10 is utterly confusing. The mage set looks like it's meant to be worn by a warlock who dabbles in fel magic, it's just wrong. As it does with some of the other classes, it's misleading and it doesn't capture the spirit nor even respects it. If I wanted to look like a warlock, I'd re-roll one.

The priest set isn't so bad, but as always, we often get the boring sets, as if our class was the last on the list.

Now, as for the remaining tiers and the upcoming ones, I keep seeing the repetitive theme and the same boring colors, reuse of something from that expansion, like a rope or tusks.

But 75% of the time, the sets just don't fit the class at all. Mages looks like warlocks and warlocks looks like... I don't even know. Druids somehow look like Dark Shamans and Shamans often look like Hunters? Where's the spirit? Where's the "Oh that's so druid like!"

And now I see that the Shamans tier 17 get the look-alike Priest Challenge Mode set? Just cut a bit here and there, shave off a bit of those outrageously huge shoulders and add some chain and feathers and you got a Shaman.

And the Monk set? Hmm, haven't I seen that before? Where's the keggy shoulders at?

The Druid set is so simple it makes it seem like you jumped right back to the Vanilla version of the branchy set. Perhaps it could even qualify as the upgraded version of that set. It brings back the druidy-feel I've been missing. Keep it up, Blizz!

The Mage set isn't too bad this time, you somewhat reused the Challenge Mode Theme, Arcane, Fire and Frost - nice touch.

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand that the tiers often reflect the theme of the expansion, WoD is savage, so of course the sets should be just as savage. But it's just gotten to the point where all sets almost look alike or they're scraps from 2 expansions past, stitched together to make something that's unrecognizable, like a mutated version of an old set.

But is it really impossible to make the tiers not only reflect the expansion, but the class as well? Without the scraps, the similarities? I guess I'm just missing originality a bit.

I somehow also feel like a nice handful of the Arena Seasons sets stole what was meant for the tiers. Season 14 ran off with the nice animation which I somehow felt like should replace the ugly broad shouldered animation of the Tier 16, geez it's ugly. If I did PvP, I'd dump that tier for the Season 14.

Again, don't get me wrong, a lot of the tiers are really cool. Some even capture and reflect the class as well as the expansion/end game raid/w/e - very well done, but it's been going down hill for a while.

This is of course just my opinion, but I know I'm not alone here.
    Last edited by mmocef8b3c08fa; 2014-06-15 at 12:56 PM.

the sets do not always represent the class, but the environment it was taken from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was certainly a rant.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouri Kogorou View Post
    the sets do not always represent the class, but the environment it was taken from.
    Of course and as it should. But when you see the same patterns, the same themes, the same boring look over and over again, it's a tiny bit annoying. One of the main things I get excited about when a new expansion is underway, is the tiers.

But I've been really disappointed throughout the past few years.

I do get that when the Firelands raid opened, the tiers would most likely look very fiery, that only makes sense. Right?

It's just getting a bit dull.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardeen View Post
    Of course and as it should. But when you see the same patterns, the same themes, the same boring look over and over again, it's a tiny bit annoying. One of the main things I get excited about when a new expansion is underway, is the tiers.

But I've been really disappointed throughout the past few years.

I do get that when the Firelands raid opened, the tiers would most likely look very fiery, that only makes sense. Right?

It's just getting a bit dull.
    Because you don't get random generic sets designed only around the classes theme?

Also bugger off, Priest Tier 13 was fucking amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Because you don't get random generic sets designed only around the classes theme?

Also bugger off, Priest Tier 13 was fucking amazing.
    And yet Tier 17 for Mages is class themed. Not much, but it's there. The same with the simplicity of the set for Druids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mages aint anything like warlocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardeen View Post
    And yet Tier 17 for Mages is class themed. Not much, but it's there. The same with the simplicity of the set for Druids.
    It's also based around crystals and rocks found on Draenor, as the druid set is also based on the Abori tree people and the Jungles there.

Deleted
    Didn't read the whole post (it's really long:P) but I think you waited too long I "became" a warlock in TBC because warlock were these indestructible PvP monsters and always did top damage in raids while mages were basically buff bots and water vendors.

Now I think mages are actually better. Ugly gear aside, it's a different class now, they're not just fire/shadow mages.
    Last edited by mmoca088d1ab30; 2014-06-15 at 05:08 PM.

Deleted
    I find it weird that you complain about the mage t10 because in your opinion it looks like a warlock set, but you didn't mention the mage t11, then again, mage t11 is one of the most epic sets in the game, even if it looks like a warlock set.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    mage t11 is one of the most epic sets in the game, even if it looks like a warlock set.
    Ragnaros-themed gear doesn't look like anything Warlock-y to me.

Man, I lost faith in armour design expansions ago. I like simple elegance and some of that still exists in places, but Blizzard has been increasingly gaudy over the years.

I do get what you mean. Hunter sets (apart from the DS and ToT ones) rarely look like hunter sets to me. The SoO hunter set looks seriously ugly. I don't think we'll see a great deal of that used as a transmog in the future. It should have been proto-drake, wolf or even devilsaur themed. Would have made much more sense than what ended in.

Mostly, I think the armour sets are appropriate for their classes while adding a touch of whatever expansion/raid they are from. There are some exceptions though, and some classes seem to be fucked over a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    Ragnaros-themed gear doesn't look like anything Warlock-y to me.
    Uhm, I always thought it looked much more like something a warlock would wear, specially that helm, it looks badass either way so I don't really care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like some new versions of the classic pointy hat, Mage-Style.