Why are garrisons being forced on us?

When I heard about pet battles i had absolutely ZERO interest in doing them. I still have yet to touch pet battles...and i havent even spoken to a pet battle trainer yet. I was happy this was just a side-questy-optional thing.

But now garrisons come..and ive heard that EVERYONE is forced to get one, there is no option. Why? Why do you force me?

Now this could have easily changed, but if I am correct you only need to do the first part of the Garrison, about a dozen or so quests, and you can leave it alone afterwards. Sounds no more pushed on us than the farm in MoP.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you need to go back there every 15 minutes if you don't want to.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I have read, the only part that is forced is the initial quests to set it up. After that, you can largely ignore it.

I would not be surprised, if the next thing people start whining about is optional rewards for quests, that are not garrison related (theres a lot of those around it, which is to be expected).
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Deleted
    You do not mention what you do have interests in, however after watching streams from the alpha/beta it seems like you can just treat the Garrison as an intro quest hub and then ignore it after if you wish.

If your interests lie with professions, yes then you might be forced into interacting with it. If this is the case it should become clearer later in the Beta I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    But now garrisons come..and ive heard that EVERYONE is forced to get one, there is no option. Why? Why do you force me?
    Everyone is forced to level too! Why am I forced to level up? Why can't I hug mobs instead of murdering them! Why? Why!

...seriously now. Hush up. You're not being forced into anything, its a part of the leveling questchain. You can skip it entirely if you want to be stubborn.

Boost popularity numbers and attempt with that segment of the community that bitches there is nothing to do despite them only choosing to do a small segment of content.

At this point, my best theory is that it's because the garrisons scream "ORC!!!" and "HUMAN!!!", and we're going into another dimension so they need to make sure that we get our daily quota or Orc and Human by having our garrisons and capitols throw it in our faces at all points in time.

Actually, once you do like, the first Garrison quest you can never do them ever again. It takes like 10 minutes.

There are additional benefits that come from having a Garrison but you can definitely ignore them out of protest.
    You just lost The Game

one quest chain, oh the humanity.

15+ Year Old Account
    You aren't forced to do garrisons. Feel free to not login to WoD.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I feel like telling this kind of people that they are not forced to do anything. Really, just leave, go away, don't play this bad, mean game that forces you to do stuff.

Anyway, pretend it's just another quest town, like any of the quest towns you have in WoW. You do the quest chain, get to the garrison and move on like you do to any other town in game. Or are you still forced to run around crossroads or redridge all day?

They're not truly forced, but they could feel that way because of the potential rewards you could receive. It's similar to the dailies of MoP. Yeah you don't have to do dailies, but people who want to progress or gear up quickly would feel obligated to do them in order to achieve the rep they needed in order to purchase the valor gear.

Imagine having to do s quest line in order to get benefits. The cruelty of it. While you sleep Blizzard should level you to 100, equip you with the best gear and fill your gold limit. No need to log in at all if you do not want to, just sleep a little longer and dream

I think its indended to be some kind of incremental busywork to do when theres long stretches between content updates. A little too korean mobile game sub trap-ey for my liking, but still i suppose its better to see them try and add something to cover over the duldrums. Theres only so many times folks can do old content before they have all the transmog sets after all

The development of your base is about as forced as your farm is. You recruit people and buildings and stuff along the way, but that's more to incentivize its development, not force it. They're just very highly reccomended because of how develpoed they are. I'm honestly blown away at how so many people are like "nu-uh, ain't gonna get me to play no game I pay $15 a month for. No way, no how!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    From what I have read, the only part that is forced is the initial quests to set it up. After that, you can largely ignore it.
    In beta - you pretty much can't. Ignoring garrisons in WoD is akin to ignoring questing in MoP - sure you can do it, but it wont really work too well.

Why do they force me to level up again? Why do they force me to get new gear again? Why do they force me to level up professions again? Why can't I ignore everything and be given heroic gear?