Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking News: Public defense attorney fulfills ethical responsibility to defend a client to the best of their ability regardless of their own view on the case. More at eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    Rofl, holy shit. If I had lived in America I'd literally have to lock myself up to avoid shitting on those who defend people in that manner.
    Good thing you dont live here then to weaken defense strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvinny View Post
    Calling someone a liar isn't "slut shaming". It's saying "Hey! I don't believe you when you said you were raped! You're lying, and my client shouldn't go to jail for your lies!"
    She said the little girl had a history of fantasizing about older men and seeking them out. There's the slut shaming.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Well, how sure are we that the 12 year old wasn't asking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    They're not gearing up for a Presidential run.
    She was doing her job though. Age is largely irrelevant in law when it comes to these things. If anything I'd think Hilary "slut" shamming would've made it easier for the prosecution to win. Why does her gearing up for a Presidential run matter that much? If anything it shows that she can get the job done.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so slut shamming a 12 year old is doing her job? attorney like her is what keeps women from reporting and testifying in rape cases

Don't get mad, Vyxn. It's the *law*. Sucks, huh?

or

To quote your bro in arms.

1) Sadly, even scumbag kiddy rapists are entitled to a defense.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Good thing you dont live here then to weaken defense strategies.
    Defense strategies shouldn't include questioning someones mental health unless they have solid proof of that and can present that.

10+ Year Old Account
    She said the little girl had a history of fantasizing about older men and seeking them out. There's the slut shaming.
    If you don't like it then perhaps you might consider advocating switching away from an adversarial legal system.

- - - Updated - - -

Defense strategies shouldn't include questioning someones mental health unless they have solid proof of that and can present that.
    Adversarial systems aren't about proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why the prosecution can yell objection to get a statement dismissed, and the burden of proof falls on the prosecution always anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Breaking News: Public defense attorney fulfills ethical responsibility to defend a client to the best of their ability regardless of their own view on the case. More at eleven.
    Republicans do not care. Wiping their ass's with the constitution has become an Olympic sport for them.

[Infracted]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Adversarial systems aren't about proof.
    So why even go to court if no proof is needed? That's pretty damned fucked up.

This isn't actually defending your client.
    How do you come to that conclusion? Questioning the credibility of the accuser is absolutely defending your client.

People also need to bear in mind that the lawyer presents the case that their client wants and agrees to, not the one the lawyer wants.

If the comment wasn't relevant then it's the responsibility of the Judge and/or the prosecution to point that out, not the defense's.

People should also note that the reason the case collapsed was down to the fact the forensic lab messed up and destroyed vital evidence, crippling the prosecution's case.

10+ Year Old Account
    The title is extremely mis-leading and a huge attention grab. Literally, you should word it Hillary DEFENDED child rapist 30 + years ago, which was her job. You are making an extremely mis-leading title just to get people to come to the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire American legal system is based around the fact that the defense doesn't need to present proof, only raise reasonable doubt. Proof is only the burden of the accuser.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Republicans do not care. Wiping their ass's with the constitution has become an Olympic sport for them.

My new signature.

thx
    You cared enough to post.

It was in 1975. "Slut shaming" wasn't even a popular term then.

The problem is with the justice system.

Cops and lawyers get praised and rewarded based on won and solved cases, regardless of justice actually being served. This leads to arrests and convictions of innocent people as well as guilty parties walking free.

It would be nice if Hillary used this as a chance to open the public's eyes to the flaws in the system and try to effect a positive change.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this tells me is that Conservatives are scared shitless of Hillary in 2016.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

its all cool, she was just doing her job

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Thats why the prosecution can yell objection to get a statement dismissed, and the burden of proof falls on the prosecution always anyways.
    This is correct Crissi. During pre-trial motions, either side can object to the type of testimony and evidence that is going to be brought up. If the judge doesn't think it's relevant, they can disallow it. If that wasn't done in this case, then your issue is with the judge.